• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Better cooling on a BFG 6800 Ultra >

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

AMD64

Registered
Hi there.

Me and a friend just ordered a "BFG 6800 Ultra" card, and we've read
some tests. The performance is excellent, like other 6800 Ultra cards, however, the downside is, that this card does run very hot. (maybe the same issue on most other 6800 Ultra cards).

Now, we wondered, if someone or somebody here, knew of some great coolers for this card.? Or better yet, if someone or somebody owns this card, and could tell exactly how hot it gets and if it's a problem, and perhaps tell us of some alternative and custom coolers that could cool this beast down! =) I've read some tests of one of Cooler Master's models (haven't done much research though) and this cooler only reduce the GPU core temperature with 5 degress celcius in idle, and 6 degrees celcius in load. That's not much is it? So does this mean that most coolers out there, only reduce the temperature with these values, or are there any coolers that stands out, with excellent performance on this task? Maybe 5-6 degrees celcius is pretty good (but I don't know much about it). It just sounds little. hehe. =)

I hope someone or somebody here can help us out a little. Since we most actually will do some oc'ing on this baby. =)

Warmest regards,
Tor Erik and Anders.

Last edited:
wow.. I can't believe the name AMD64 wasn't taken already... anyway,

welcome to the forums

I have never used one of these, but you could look at an Arctic Cooling NV Silencer 5. According to this site it works quite well link

It is just an aftermarket replacement heatsink. Zalmen also makes coolers for some cards, so you might want to check them out.

If you want some really good cooling, you could look into water as well. It will cost a bit, but nothing compared to the price of the card. All you need is a pump (via Aqua 1300, Ehim, something like that), a heatercore from a car with 1/2" fittings (tonnes available at local autostore for cheap), and a waterblock for the card. you can make your own waterblock, or you can buy one like this: waterblock

Good luck with the card.

Back