• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

eVGA 6800 Ultra (cooling???)

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

g0dM@n

Inactive Moderator
I just bought an eVGA 6800 Ultra:

Should I put AC5 and keep the stock cooling, or should I AC5 and NV5 Silencer it. I have a Silencer that I used for my BFG 6800 GT that I'm selling, but don't know if I should sell the Silencer or if it would be worth swapping with the eVGA stock Ultra cooling.

eVGA Stock Ultra Cooling or Arctic Cooling NV5 Silencer

Last edited:
Maybe the eVGA copper cooler to put along with its stock cooling will do better than the Silencer?

I just wanna know if I should sell my silencer or not... if it ain't worth it for me, then I don't wanna keep it for no reason.

So it turns out that in order for the Silencer to blow air out the back of an ULTRA is to drill holes into the PCI Slot cover!!! HOW STUPID IS ARCTIC COOLING? Check out what I had to waste my time to do:

I am going to go back to stock cooling to see which performs better. I'm leaning towards stock cooling, tbh.

Attachments

• backslotedit1.JPG
    backslotedit1.JPG
    30.8 KB · Views: 205
artic cooling will send you the new bracket for your Ultra for free.

just email or call them.

g0dM@n said:
So it turns out that in order for the Silencer to blow air out the back of an ULTRA is to drill holes into the PCI Slot cover!!! HOW STUPID IS ARCTIC COOLING? Check out what I had to waste my time to do:

I am going to go back to stock cooling to see which performs better. I'm leaning towards stock cooling, tbh.

g0dM@n said:

OUCH, I wouldn't do that (<- about pic)!! I'd rather just use a dummy plate to do some holes for the 2 DVI's + S-Video... And those holes you did won't help much anyways, you'll need to make it much bigger for all the hot air to go trough.

Did you buy it from NewEgg.com? Because I've had the exact same problem, check out my thread here:
http://www.ocforums.com/showthread.php?t=343539

I've sent an E-mail to Arctic Cooling and they said that this is not the first time that somebody is complaining about the faceplate being missing from the package when they buy from newegg.com. I've then went to a local computer store and they HAD IT in the package!! It took them 2 weeks to reply to me about the issue by email, so I think the best way is to call them? And all NewEgg would do for you is just RMA it .. or at least that's what the girl on the phone suggested :D.

tyrant222 said:
artic cooling will send you the new bracket for your Ultra for free.

just email or call them.

Yes, should be free as its noted in their FAQ - http://www.arctic-cooling.com/vga2.php?idx=40&data=6&disc=.

www.arctic-cooling.com FAQ said:
The exhaust from the cooler is blocked by the two-slot back plate of my original 6800 card. How can I make your cooler compatible to this card?
We do have a replacement bracket for the 6800 series to solve the double bracket issue. Please request for such a bracket from your local dealer.

Last edited:
everyone says the stock cooler on the ultra is more then enough .. people either add the copper evga cooler to it .. or get the nv5 just to get the hot air out of the case .. u see better results using the nv5 on say a GT

So how do I contact them? There is an e-mail address, but that's for general questions. Is there a specific email address for this, or a telephone number that is not outside the US? I only see #s outside the US.

Thanks.

**Edit** Oops didn't see those other posts =/

Last edited:
madhatR said:
everyone says the stock cooler on the ultra is more then enough .. people either add the copper evga cooler to it .. or get the nv5 just to get the hot air out of the case .. u see better results using the nv5 on say a GT

Yes, I've noticed. My BFG 6800 GT loved the Silencer. The ultra, on the other hand, only dropped like 2-3C tops!

g0dM@n said:
Yes.

So all I do is email them? Do I give my address and info first?

Yes, in the very first email try to mention about your adress. I've had to email them 3 times about 3 different questions, and I always got answer after about 2 weeks. So I think its better to mention your adress right away.

"To Whom It May Concern:

I am sure that you have received many e-mails such as the one I am proposing to you. I have an eVGA 6800 Ultra and bought my AC NV5 Silencer from www.newegg.com. I did not receive a replacement two-slot back plate that will be able to exhaust your product’s hot air blowing from the fan. Newegg only offers an RMA, and it is absolutely not fair to have me waste my money and time to ship the product all the way back to CA for a replacement. I bought the product expecting everything to be there for me. Please get back to me about this, for I need a replacement extremely soon as I was giving it as a Hanukkah gift (with it already attached).

I tried to be creative and drilled holes into the original one, but that didn’t work out perfectly. If also possible, I wanted to know if you also have ORIGINAL back plates (with no ventilation).

If you need my info to mail the parts to me here it is:

XXXXX

XXXXX

XXXXX

Please get back to me ASAP. Thank you for your time and cooperation."

**I lied about Hanukkah. I'm not even Jewish. I'm Christian, but maybe it'll help out. ROFL =) **

Back