• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

P160 good for WC?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Emanuele

Registered
'evening guys.......

I'm new here and to the world of Water Cooling. :clap:

Please forgive me for all the rethorical questions I might ask at some point; I'll use the search functions before even thinking of posting, don`t worry!

I do have one question: I'm really not into overclocking, mainly because I never had the need for it, really, although noise is a big factor for me!
I have an Antec P160 case, which has 2 120mm fans (specs of my PC are below).
I'm looking into watercooling mainly to reduce the noise while keeping the setup as simple and safe as possible.

One very important thig is: I really wish not to mod the case in any way! Would it be possible to have a sweet noiseless setup (and a good performer too :D) while maintaing my case intact?

Would you guys be able to suggest something that will keep me happy?
I can spend as much as $200, give or take.

Thanks so much and I'm sorry for the bothering!

Last edited:
With 120mm fan slots built into the case, it sounds like you could do it with minimum modding. A pic would help to determine the potential though.

I intended to with mine. However there are a few issues with it. The back 120mm fan spot is REALLY close to the motherboard tray. So if you intended to bolt on a rad the size of a single 120mm fan then you wont be able to remove the motherboard tray. If you were to remove the hard drive racks however it would be a great spot for the rad and pump. I intend to get another 160 and try that. And move my hard drives to the 5.25 spots with adaptors.

Thanks guys.......

I'll post some pictures of it in a while: but wouldn`t the radiator best place be on top of the case? I read it somewhere...or is that only for some situation?

Also, the HDD racks can be removed from the case or I will have to cut it?

:)

here we go with the pic...

NOTE: the fan on the CPU was spinning...:D

IMG_1305.jpg

Emanuele said:
Thanks guys.......

I'll post some pictures of it in a while: but wouldn`t the radiator best place be on top of the case? I read it somewhere...or is that only for some situation?

Also, the HDD racks can be removed from the case or I will have to cut it?

:)
if you put it in the top, then you will need to cut a blowhole. You will have to cut the racks out.

ahhhhhh that not good at all....

What about the swiftecs radiators? They can be installed on the outside of the case, on the back... ? And then I could route the tubing down to one of the unused opening of the PCIs slots and then inside.......
not worth it?

EDIT: Exactely like the SwiftTechMCB-120™ "Radbox" radiator/fan housing

yeah you could do that. You might be able to fit the tubing through the pci slots. What I would do is get some slots and see if you can drill holes through the slots and push the tubing through the holes. Or even better put some diconnects in the holes.

alrighty.... Thanks Corrosion...

I wonder how good is the perfomance of those RadBoxes...

You could even build the rad, pump, and res into a seperate box, then run the tubing inside to the cpu block leaving you with an entirely external cooling box

Corrosion that sounds like a cool idea, but you have to understand that I'm not a very handy person...and I have no tools available beside a Dremel :D

pwnt, sorry to ask this but what is a BIP?

It's no biggy... Black Ice Pro radiator. It's a good choice for low noise, medium performance applications and it mounts a 120mm fan so you should have enough room to put it on your rear fan.

oh okay..thanks....yeah I can do that too.
Either that or the RadBox at this point...

pwnt by pat said:
It's no biggy... Black Ice Pro radiator. It's a good choice for low noise, medium performance applications and it mounts a 120mm fan so you should have enough room to put it on your rear fan.
the main problem is that ANY rad on the inside back 120mm spot makes the motherboard tray nonremovable.

I don't have a removeable mobo tray and I'm not inconvienanced any. I'm just wondering about that cases' removeable tray structure, does the fan move with it? No matter what, you will have to mount the waterblocks in the case. I can't think of any way arround that right now unless you leak test after everything is hooked up.

I just finished my WC setup in my P160 yesterday. Im using the Swiftech RAD676 duel 120mm radiator and Swiftech MCP650 pump. Everything is inside the case. I dont run a floppy drive so the HD is sitting where the floppy should be, the pump is in the HD cage on the bottum, and the Radiator is ziptied to the front of the HD cage. Im also running a resivoir which is suspened to the top of the case behind the cdrom drive.

Ill post pics here in an hour when I get off work. Only bad thing about the P160 is the lack of space behind the mobo/between the case side to stuff wires behind. Otherwise its a pretty nice/roomy case.

If your only going with a single 120mm rad, theres plenty of room. Either in the HD cage or to the back of the case in the spot of teh 120mm fan.

Thanks so much sethmo! I can`t wait to see your pictures!

You did have to cut out the HDD cage didn`t you?

I don`t run any floppy too....but have 2HDD in there..

Nope didnt cut anything out. Im not sure wat you could do about the 2nd hd. You "might" be able to fit 2 in the floppy cage.

Worst case scenario is just buy a 5.25" to 3.5" converter and run the hd or both in the cdrom slots.

Back