• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Building cheap pc

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
I'am sure it would do the job. You should be able to build her one for less then 300 bux if not closer to 225-250.

what changes would you suggest i make so i can get it closer to $300? thx

cx323 said:
what changes would you suggest i make so i can get it closer to $300? thx

What all do you need?

case, cd-rom, dvd-rom, psu, mobo, ram, HD, vgpu, monitor, etc ?

*cough*Dell*cough*

so are they actually better for cheap systems? i looked on their site and the cheapest computer is 549. It is a lot better than the one i'm making, but $175 more.

cx323 said:
I need a whole compute her current computer is from 94 and there is nothing i can really use from it.

Well depend's on where your going to get your stuff from. A monitor alone is going to be 70+ bux so I would say the system my be more around 400-500 bux.

Im pretty Much in the same dilema, we already have a good new monitor for it though, we were looking in the dell mag and for 549, my budget is about 500 and Dells was a celleron CPU EWWWWWp; want this thing to last a bit longer than that and maybe OC a bit so I did a bit of research on what would be good and have a decent idea but need to look a bit more and have found I can build a PC that is 100% better than that there Dell for the 549 price dell wants, thats not includig windows which I have in my house somewhere I will be useing. Nortons and word I will get another licence and be done with that...

The determing factor is whether or not you feel that you can act as technical support for the person you're building the machine for. If no, then consider recommending a Dell refurb. They start as low as $350
http://outlet.us.dell.com/Dispatche...-1219916111!2119726933!1102954531043&tgtSeg=I

If your family member is self-sufficient enough or you're willing to do tech support, then it's easy to configure a sub-$400 rig at Newegg.
If you need any recommendations on parts I can make a list for you.

I would definately not recomend anything lower than 512MB of ram for xp. It can be done, but it is painfully slow.

Here is about the cheapest pc I would build: http://secure.newegg.com/app/WishHistoryReview.asp?position=HISTORY&submit=VIEW&ID=1160710

I'm sure you could lower the price a little more, maybe even down to ~$300 by shoping around, Newegg dosen't always have the best prices, just the best service with great prices. If you want the ultimate cheap pc, shop around and don't necisarilly buy everything at one place, although that can also lead to higher shipping prices, so be carefull. Oh yeah, I forgot to put xp on there. Newegg has oem versions of home for $80-90.

aeiou said:
I would definately not recomend anything lower than 512MB of ram for xp. It can be done, but it is painfully slow.

I have three rigs in the house (800MHz PIII, 1400MHz TBird, and a 1700+ Pally) that all have only 256MB RAM and run XP. They have no problems.

Anyway- here's my build. I did it in excel.

http://ke-clan.com/budgetpc.htm

Total 358.86 + S&H.

I went over because of the cost of the monitor, speakers, keyboard, mouse, and other accessories- plus shipping was a killer. Plus I opted to get parts that had better warranty or better reputation than absolute cheapest parts... Corners can probably be cut with certain components.

Last edited:
Start calling local computer stores and see if any have used parts for sale. Between that and newegg, you can cut a lot of cost. Also, some local shops have the $250 internet ready PC special. It ain't gonna be grand, but it will be cheap. maybe look at building her a PC133 system. You know your going to be her tech support whether you like it or not, she's your mom.

JCLW said:
Remember the Dell comes with a licensed version of windows as well.
Although, that is worth a lot.

Good Luck. :burn:

Last edited:
Back