• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Anyone ran into this before? Sudden A64 FX death...

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

crash0veride007

The following happened the other night whilest running some 3Dmark03 scores and tweaking my rig....While running through trolls lair for the 2nd time the rig just shut down... :eek: At first I thought i just overheated but then remembered nope not on the WC system I have on it. I tried to power back on but the rig would not power back on!!! So I tried the usual, reset the CMOS i million times try a new PSU.... Nothing pushing the power button would not power the rig back on. :confused: Well just for grins I thought ok maybe the CPU took a ****...... Sure enough when i pulled the CPU out and tried to power button the rig up without it guess what it powers on!!! Does not do much other than begin to post and spin up my sata drive. So my most logical guess is dead cpu....

EDIT (12/16/04)
Problem was found to be a weak arse K8N Neo2 Platinum that could not take the overclock and died....

Last edited:
lol i guess his crash override didnt work this time! HAHAHAAHHEHEHEHEHE

Please post more information about your VCore and any other mods you did.
This is the first time I've heard an A64 die by voltage alone.
There have been thousands of arguments (sometimes heated) regarding the possibility of an A64 mishap due to BOTH temps and high Volts. I guess your result may show us otherwise.

Please keep posting about this.

no leaks..... my system is tight as hell..
The attempted Vcore @ the time was using 1.36beta bios with the Vcore @ 1.875-1.88V on the CPU. FSB 290, mult 9x, HTT 3x. The vdimm was 2.85, the agp was 1.85V. all completely acceptable with the setup I have.. I already got a new CPU, my new should be here this week so I'll know for sure if it was the CPU.

Last edited:
Wonderful, another person that RMA's something that they have voided the warranty on. :-/ :bang head

I thought 1.6 was the absolute most for A64 vcore's.....

Obsolute is 1.7v for most, or 1.65v for some. 1.88-1.9v, thats something for the Barton and Tbred's, not an A64. Specially the FX.

I think you killed youre cpu from to high of voltage. I tried 1.8v (not 1.88v just 1.8v flat) myself it didnt help, A64s seem to stop ocing in the 1.6-1.7v range the added vcore of 1.8v or the basicly 1.9v you did doesnt do anything unless youre running some kinda prommy.

Anyway i hope you learned youre lesson, we all do stupid stuff. RMAing an Expensive CPU like that only hurts everyone else specially AMD, thier basicly giving you another $500 or whatever the cpu cost for free. RMA'ing something that wasnt caused by you is cool, but doing it to a cpu you smoked by overvolting it beyond Highest spec is crazy. Reason being is when AMD loose's money like that they increase the prices of all thier cpu's to compensate for loses

obsolete said:
Wonderful, another person that RMA's something that they have voided the warranty on. :-/ :bang head

Actually I bought it from a local shop and the the SHOP OWNER RMA'D IT... So before you go flaming me think before you open your mouth....

CandymanCan said:
Obsolute is 1.7v for most, or 1.65v for some. 1.88-1.9v, thats something for the Barton and Tbred's, not an A64. Specially the FX.

I think you killed youre cpu from to high of voltage. I tried 1.8v (not 1.88v just 1.8v flat) myself it didnt help, A64s seem to stop ocing in the 1.6-1.7v range the added vcore of 1.8v or the basicly 1.9v you did doesnt do anything unless youre running some kinda prommy.

Anyway i hope you learned youre lesson, we all do stupid stuff. RMAing an Expensive CPU like that only hurts everyone else specially AMD, thier basicly giving you another $500 or whatever the cpu cost for free. RMA'ing something that wasnt caused by you is cool, but doing it to a cpu you smoked by overvolting it beyond Highest spec is crazy. Reason being is when AMD loose's money like that they increase the prices of all thier cpu's to compensate for loses

same for you...
I come asking for an opinion NOT a FLAME! I heard an A64 FX-55 was run @ 2.2V on phase change hence I thought my WC'd CPU may be able to handle it... oh well sh*t happens live and learn...
peace out...

Well I'm sure the store owner didn't realize you were running the vcore way out of spec & basically toasted the CPU on your own. And even if he did RMA it, your still just as guilty for bringing it to him to do so.

Maybe you should think..........About ^^

obsolete said:
Well I'm sure the store owner didn't realize you were running the vcore way out of spec & basically toasted the CPU on your own. And even if he did RMA it, your still just as guilty for bringing it to him to do so.

Maybe you should think..........About ^^

Actually The shop owner IS a member of these forums and yes he did know! Once again think before you speak!!! :mad:

So this is official now? A64's do not like high VCore no matter how good the cooling.
Am I right in saying 1.65 V is the absolute safe maximum?

My guess is your CPU was killed by a Voltage spike >1.7 V. I've seen spikes shoot above 1.7V and I'm still living. Please post the Revision and Stepping before you discard/return your CPU.

Bummer man.. Ive been using 1.72vcore in my 3200 since I bought it.. she's holding up great so far ( knocks on wood ).. Temps at load barely reach 42c.. But I was a little scared to bump it up in the begining.. I also decided if I kill it I wont do that again..hehe

Just because the store owner RMA'd it, still doesn't make it right. In fact that makes the situation that much worse if a store owner, full well knowing the warranty on the processor was void, RMA'd it back to AMD. I'm not sure if you or the store owner/member on ocforums realizes this, but thats fraud. Nice of you to edit your post saying you RMA'd it to.

Not looking to argue here, just calling out something I see as crooked & wrong. If you don't like it, then don't rip off AMD because you messed up.

Back