• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

How the heck do I mount this HC with shroud and fans??

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Ub3r-L33ch

I got the Dual HC from dangerden.com and the 3/4" shroud that comes with it. It comes with 8 plastic bolts about 4" long, 8 metal screws about 1 3/4" long and some plastic washers and some other plastic thing I dont know what they are. The shroud has 4 holes in the corner, and then 8 holes for the fans. What I cant figure out is how I'm supposed to screw all this stuff together.

Ok I think I figured out how to mount the fans to the shroud... sorta... but how do I mount the shroud to the HC?

You mean the plastic bolts? The bolts wont make it all the way threw to the other side of the HC if I go threw fans, shroud, then HC.

the plastic threaded rods go through the four holes in the corners of the shroud then just use self tapping screws for the fans

Haha ok well... I can get two of them to go threw the top 2 holes and threw the HC but then the bottom 2 holes dont line up with the fins of the HC so I wouldnt be able to stick them threw.... wtf... man this is crazy.

Edit: F*cking shroud is too big for all 4 holes in the corners to line up over the fins on the HC... its either top 2 or bottom 2, cant get all 4 to line up. B.S.

Ok the holes dont line up but I can rig it so I get all 4 bolts threw, but its hell.

Now I have the 38mm thickness fans... these regular screws wont go all the way threw from the front... I could screw them in from the bottom of the shroud, which is between the shroud and HC but there would be a tiny gap cuz the screw head would be in the way.

Edit: Gonna go buy some longer screws if I can find some.

Ok, I just got done putting one of these in my case this weekend with 2 120x38mm fans. I ended up getting 6-32 12'' rods and cutting them to length (6 inches) to go all the way through the side panel, shroud, heater core and fan. However, in your situation, do this:

1) Buy 8, 8-32 metal screws (with pointy end, self tapping) to use on the fans. They go through the fan and tighten into the shroud like wood screws.

2) Next, use those nylon things or replace them with 6-32 screw rods to bolt the shroud onto the radiator, you'll need 3 inches of screw for this.

3) Let me know if you have any questions or comments. Are you doing push or pull and will the fans or the radiator bolt directly to your case. I'll post pics of mine later.

I got some #6 x 2" Drywall screws, they work perfectly, and they are black instead of silver :) ... and I figured out how to mount the shroud to the HC but it was somewhat tricky... more complicated than I'd thought it would be...

Anyways, thanks for everyones help, always get good fast responses in these forums :)

Back