• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

NB fan fail on IC7-Max3

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Sniper_83

I'm in need of a replacement very soon as I've had to start the fan for my stock NB cooler by had 3 or 4 times. I don't know what to do for a replacement as it has them dumb clips which I've herd of problems if the cooler is too heavy. I was looking at it today too and I'm not even sure how it comes off. Any advice is apreciated!

<Cc: Cooling Boards>

Last edited:
This is specific to the Abit mobo, so I think it's relative to post here. There are several options. Thermaltake has a N/B cooler that uses the i865/i875 mounting loops and there are others too. The clips are easy to unfasten. You slightly rotate the heatsink and unclip them one at a time. The bubble gum heat goop will stick a little at first and will need to be carefully cleaned off the N/B chip after removal.

So I take it I should not forcably pull strait up when removing the HS/Fan assembly? For fear of pulling the NB chip out...

Give it a slight twist to break the gum like pad loose. This also makes it easier to undo the clips. I use my fingernail to carefully scrape most the gunk off and then use Q-tips and alcohol to clean it up the rest of the way. It's stubborn stuff, so just be persistent.

Sniper_83 said:
Oh shoot forgot to ask... any tips on how to clean the crap off the NB chip?

The stock stuff has the same consistency of gum, i hate taking that crap off. As for a cooler, i have had great results with my Swiftech. It's a little on the $$ side, but worth it as a replacment imo.

nbcooler1.jpg

On that note how even sells that? I can't find an american website that sells the Northpole cooler.

It has several cofigurations including clips. I think Sidewinder and frozencpu sell them.

Last edited:
Yea I just found it their, gota love yahoo store. So u think this is a good cooler? I seen in that link u gave me somewhere that it is made for AMD. Are their 2 versions of it?

that swiftech one kicks *** i have it myself and i love it. the one i gotfrom frozen cpu came with 2 clips so i use all 4 hooks on the mobo so there is no problem with weight. its worth the money.

Back