• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Will ATI respond to the AGP mid market?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Battle_Rattle

Registered
Well i think it's clear that PCI-e isn't moving as fast as the card makers and especially ATI thought. I'm in the mid-range market and was hoping people had insights about ATI developing a response to the 6800nu's (yes i know they're POTENTIALLY unlockable) and the 6600gt??? ATI gonna come to the game?

I'm looking at the two Nvidia cards because....thats all there is in the mid market!! Some more competition would have been nice for me and the card makers. It's a silly damn analysis in the begginning to think that all of us AMD owners and system buyers of the last 9+ months would go insane and dump everything for PCI-e.

If you check my signature you'll see that im very much in need for an upgrade...As it stand or me the best question for me may be "Is there going to a better flavor of 6600's or are 6800gt prices really going to surprise me after xmas?" and of course the 6800nu is always sitting there as well.

THis is my first post....glad to see such a large group of knowledgable people ni here... I know some of you are going to say that you're not market mind readers.... but I just want to know what your thoughts were either way.

ATI has stated that they are still making the 9800pro and XT for the mid market on AGP. They aren't going to make some new product if they think their current offering is good enough.

There is a chance that such an event could occur, but it is probably unlikely. The fact of the matter is that both ATI and NVIDIA need to make aggressive attempts to move production over to PCIe completely, which is in fact a smart move. Also, it is worth noting that, with most other technological phase-outs, the process will be a gradual one. However, it makes no sense for ATI to continue to release a plethora of cards for the dying AGP interface. After all, if both AGP and PCIe have the same exact video cards available, where is the incentive to adopt PCIe? Both NVIDIA and ATI must release key PCIe-only solutions as means to sway potential enthusiasts over to the newer interface.

deception``

Quailane said:
ATI has stated that they are still making the 9800pro and XT for the mid market on AGP. They aren't going to make some new product if they think their current offering is good enough.

To me it seems the 9800 is making it's last stand in games like Joint Operations and the like.... Remember that im talking about buying a Mid-range card for the next year and a half to 2 years... and im not going to choose the ultra aging 9800 when it doesn't have the "legs" to keep going. I do indeed understand what you mean about the 9800..... but i'm hedging my dollars on the new technology (PixelShading3.0 is a small factor in it too.) Again this is all in the discourse of me and people in my current situation...Which is we're AGP restricted and have a good cpu for the next 2 years or so. But I still have to think that the 9800 can't be it from ATI... Check that poll out...It's not scientific but according to it 2 of the people that roll around in this forum have PCI-e ... Only 2 and PCI-e has been out for a good amount of time.

To what Deception said.... There aren't the exact same cards available for AGP and PCI-e... there is no x700 agp .... this is my point... There's no competition! Thanks u two for your thoughts...they're good ones

I think everything Dell ships now is PEG, and that's who ATi and nV think about - not us.

Back