• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Rate And Help Me Build My First System

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Athlon 64

Registered
Okay This Is My First Time Building A Computer.
The Theme Is Blue And Black.
Here Are The Components As Of Now.
Case:Logisys CS888UVBL Assembled UV Blue Acrylic Case
CPU:AMD Athlon 64 3500+
Drives
Media:plextor PX712SASWBL 8-in-1 Serial ATA Internal DVD±R/RW & CD-R/RW Drive
Internal HD:Seagate Barracuda 7200.7 ST3200822AS 200GB Serial ATA 7200RPM Hard Drive
Keyboard:Logisys KB606BK Streamline Illuminated Keyboard
Memory:Kingston KVR333X64C25/1G 1GB DDR333 PC2700 Memory
Unnecessary Parts:
Enermax UC-9FATR2B Multifunction Panel
Blue Cable Sleeves
Mouse:ZipZoomFly?s Power Wheel Mouse
Motherboard:MSI K8N Neo4 Platinum/SLI nForce4 SLI Athlon 64(FX) Skt939 DDR ATX Motherboard w/Audio, Gigabit LAN, RAID/Serial ATA
PSU:Logisys PS500CLA 500W Aluminum & Moded Gaming Power Supply
Speakers:Creative Labs Inspire T7700 7.1 Speaker System
Soundcard:Creative Labs Sound Blaster Audigy 2 ZS Gamer Limited Edition
Videocard:I AM Not Sure I Will Have To See What Comes Out. I Am Building This In April
Please Tell Me If I Should Change Anything.
Also Will You Please Rate The Current System That I Have Posted.
Awful
:bang head
O.K.
:confused:
Good
:cool:
Awesome
:clap:

Only two things you need to change is def. the ram, look in the memory section and look at some of the tccd threads. You get great value, good latencies at lower fsb, and you can get high fsb's with looser timings. The main thing you want is atleast pc3200 as that will fully use your fsb. The other thing I would change is the mouse, either look at a logitech or microsoft optical mouse if you plan on doing any gaming. The newer motherboards also have nice onboard sound, so you could save some money there, and buy a better video card.

Michael

The Reason I Want The Sound Card Is Because You Get 5 Free Games. For example You Get Halo

Athlon 64 said:
The Theme Is Blue And Black.
Here Are The Components As Of Now.
Case:Logisys CS888UVBL Assembled UV Blue Acrylic Case
CPU:AMD Athlon 64 3500+
Drives
Media:plextor PX712SASWBL 8-in-1 Serial ATA Internal DVD±R/RW & CD-R/RW Drive
Internal HD:Seagate Barracuda 7200.7 ST3200822AS 200GB Serial ATA 7200RPM Hard Drive
Keyboard:Logisys KB606BK Streamline Illuminated Keyboard
Memory:Kingston KVR333X64C25/1G 1GB DDR333 PC2700 Memory
Unnecessary Parts:
Enermax UC-9FATR2B Multifunction Panel
Blue Cable Sleeves
Mouse:ZipZoomFly?s Power Wheel Mouse
Motherboard:MSI K8N Neo4 Platinum/SLI nForce4 SLI Athlon 64(FX) Skt939 DDR ATX Motherboard w/Audio, Gigabit LAN, RAID/Serial ATA
PSU:Logisys PS500CLA 500W Aluminum & Moded Gaming Power Supply
Speakers:Creative Labs Inspire T7700 7.1 Speaker System
Soundcard:Creative Labs Sound Blaster Audigy 2 ZS Gamer Limited Edition
Videocard:I AM Not Sure I Will Have To See What Comes Out. I Am Building This In April

Ok, First, I must say thats a pretty good setup. Although, I would also suggest a Microsoft or Logitech Optical Mouse. I have my 10 dollar Microsoft Optical 2 year old mouse, and my only complaint is that I sweat when I game, and my hands sweat worst of all, so I get this buildup on the top of the buttons. Still amazingly precise, just have to clean the grime.

As for RAM: Get 1GB of PC3200 2X512 Dual Channel. Dual Channel is important, because it nearly doubles your memory bandwidth. I would go with either Corsair, OCz, Mushkin, or Kingston(Pretty much in that order)

If you plan on overclocking, get a nice heatsink. I'd suggest either a Zalman or Thermaltake for general good brands, or for a specific HS, I'd go with a Scythe FCS-50 with an extra fan, running it in push pull, I got my Athlon 64 3000+ up to 2.4 Ghz on air with it. Not bad, if I do say so myself. Pretty much transformed it into a 3800+, a 400 dollar difference ;).

About your case... EVERYTHING I've ever read about Acrylic cases has normally been something along the lines of "It looks cool, but it cracked, and now I'm miffed" or "I have to leave it alone, because its not terribly stable" or some other such thing. Acrylic is cool, I'll grant you that, but if your gonna spend ~80 dollars on a case, go with a Coolermaster, or possibly the Antec SuperLanboy.

120MM Fans are also alot quiter than speedier 80 MM fans, but provide WAY better airflow. Since that case is pretty much 2x 80 MM side, 1x back, 1x front, Its not gonna be that great of airflow, especially the fan placement on the bottom. I mean, WTH? Why not have them on the top right over your CPU, and middle where your GPU is gonna be residing to give better cooling?

Anyways, looks good, I'd suggest a case change(possibly even going BTX, depending on how it looks in april ;))

Other than that, looks good m8.

I have my 10 dollar Microsoft Optical 2 year old mouse, and my only complaint is that I sweat when I game, and my hands sweat worst of all, so I get this buildup on the top of the buttons.

I am the IT department for a software company, and let me tell you that that is the most disgusting thing that I have to deal with at work! I get completely grossed out when I have to go do something on somebody's PC and their mouse and keyboard have all kinds of human waste grime on them :cry:

Be kind to IT people. Clean and disinfect your HIDs before you call for help!

I Have Thought About It And I Will Get An Optical Trackball Instead Of ZipZoomFly's Mouse

If you are building it in April why not wait until then? By then there will be much better parts to choose from including NF4.

*agree KoolDrew* My word of wisdom (and I know it's hard, I've had to do it myself), is not to buy ANYTHING until you are ready to buy EVERYTHING. Whether you're waiting for financial reasons, or just waiting for that hot new hardware (the NF4!!), you'll be better off just waiting.

Just my $0.02

I Totaled Up The Cost And It Was $1700
What Should I Do To Take Down The Price Excluding Changing The Case.

Last edited:
Back