• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Can you guys help me out on my first build

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Maihym

So this is my build:

PCPartPicker part list / Price breakdown by merchant

CPU: Intel Core i7-4790K 4.0GHz Quad-Core OEM/Tray Processor ($319.99 @ SuperBiiz)
CPU Cooler: Cooler Master Hyper 212 EVO 82.9 CFM Sleeve Bearing CPU Cooler ($26.98 @ OutletPC)
Motherboard: Gigabyte GA-Z97X-SLI ATX LGA1150 Motherboard ($109.98 @ OutletPC)
Memory: Corsair Vengeance 16GB (2 x 8GB) DDR3-1866 Memory ($110.99 @ Newegg)
Storage: Western Digital Caviar Blue 1TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive ($52.49 @ OutletPC)
Video Card: MSI Radeon R9 390 8GB Video Card ($329.98 @ SuperBiiz)
Case: Enermax OSTROG ATX Mid Tower Case ($43.99 @ SuperBiiz)
Power Supply: Antec High Current Gamer 620W 80+ Bronze Certified Semi-Modular ATX Power Supply ($64.99 @ NCIX US)
Optical Drive: LG GH24NSC0B DVD/CD Writer ($12.99 @ Newegg)
Operating System: Microsoft Windows 8.1 OEM (64-bit) ($86.98 @ OutletPC)
Base Total: $1206.36
Promo Discounts: -$7.00
Mail-in Rebates: -$40.00
Total: $1159.36
Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available
Generated by PCPartPicker 2015-07-07 20:56 EDT-0400

I'm going to be using this for streaming and gaming. Should I downgrade my processor a little and get a XFX Radeon R9 390 8GB Double Dissipation Black Edition Video Card? Yes I would like to be able to overclock my CPU and GPU. I would also like to try to keep my base total under $1,200 USD. I may consider water cooling if it's cheaper with better performance. Also I won't be getting an ssd at the moment. Also, I don't do Mail-in Rebates.

Welcome to OCF!

First of all, if you are spending 1.2k on a new machine I highly recommend getting a SSD. The noticable performance gain is really worth it and you will experience it in everyday use. So please consider it. A crucial mx 100 512GB is around 200 USD.

You did not specify on which resolution you play and on how many monitors. 8 GB RAM for the GPU is a lot if you play in full HD on 1 monitor.

You said you will be streaming, will you be doing video editing as well? Otherwise I dont really see why you would need 16 GB of RAM. I'm not that familiar with streaming itself, however I know there a dedicated streaming cards out there. Maybe you would profit from them over a i7. Someone will have to confirm this though.

And lastly, water cooling is not cheaper than air cooling, it will add at least 300 USD to your total, depending on the setup.

I agree on the SSD, it's the only modern part you can "feel" the upgrade to. You can usually find 250GB Samsung 850 EVOs around $100 or less. If it were me, at this budget, I would opt for an SSD and i5 over an i7 without one.

Also, according to the benchmarks I've seen, the GTX 970 outperforms the R9 390 significantly at 1080p for around the same price, plus Shadowplay will greatly reduce your streaming load.

I would keep the 16GB of ram. I've seen my usage break 8GB while gaming, and I don't stream.

Back