• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Old comp, need info on mobo

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

willkill1337

Hello all, I have managed to get a Compaq Presario 4122 off a school that was throwing it out. I have managed to gain some intelligence on it and this is what I have gained so far:

Motherboard: Compaq 237706-001
Processor: Intel Pentium: 150mhz, Socket 7
Memory: Non-parity EDO Ram (32megs ? (2x16MB))
Graphics (onboard): S3 Virge Graphics (8MB)

This computer still works to my knowledge (it posts and doesn't complain about the keyboard or mouse) but I have no HDD for it. It had a "Quantum Bigfoot" in it which doesn't appear to work as the BIOS won't recognise it. It's 51/2", I had no idea such things existed!

Anyway, what I want to know is anything anyone can find on this mobo. I can't find anything anywhere except compaq parts sites and I cannot find the specs which is what I want to know. Especially I would like to know which Intel chipset it has as it doesn't say this on the weird azz mobo. All it says is:

Intel

PCIset
SB82437VX
L6273584
SU085
intel (copyright symbols) 95

I have no idea d00ds, please help me.

Bump, n00000000, still nobody know about this computer/mobo. This is still all I can find on it, it is a socket 7 Pentium so from what I have seen I think that the only chipset for that platform that I can find is the 740 but it doesn't say that anywhere.

If anyone knows anyone with that pc or you have that pc or know anything about it then please reply.

I didn't find a manual for it on the Compaq site. What is it that you want to know? It's a socket 7. Look around the mobo for silk screened jumper tables. Default a P-150 is 2.5X60, so if you can set the frequency up to 66, you will be overclocked to 166. If you can find which jumpers to move for the 3X multipler, then you can go up to 180 or 200 MHz (3X60=180 or 3X66=200).

The harddrive has probably been wiped clean, so you might need to fdisk it to add a partition and format it. Sometimes you have to enter the cylinders and heads manually in the BIOS (those should be listed on the harddrive label).

Really though, this computer is pretty worthless. With only 32 meg of RAM and that old stuff, you will be limited to using Windows 95 or maybe Linux. I get these given to me all the time, I pull the floppy out and maybe the CD-ROM if it even has one and throw the rest away. On a Compaq, most of the time the floppy drive is non-standard, so I can't even save them. It's junk.

Thank you sooooooo much for replying, I am not surprised you couldn't find a manual on the Compaq site, I find it useless and they don't even have full specs on there for the PC I bought off them a year and a half a go.

Batboy are you sure that it won't run 98???? There could possibly be a ram upgrade but I have no idea where I could find some EDO ram but I have no idea how much it will take. Also do you have any idea about the chipset? It doesn't say anything about it on the mobo. BTW it definately has a CD-ROM.

To my knowledge the hard drive shouldn't have been wiped, it is just a primary school at which my mum works. I helped them load quite a few comps onto a van and take them to the tip in exchange for a 17" monitor (8 years old but still working as well as ever, I am typing on it now) and one computer. I didn't have the time to examine them so I took that one. Also I'd like to oc it. Having a shop bought pc I am rather deprived and I really want to be able do a bit of overclocking myself.

I think that the Intel PCI set you listed is the chipset. I have a couple of boards with the PCIset. I think its max is 66MHz, possibly if the board has the option 72. Since it is socket 7, if you were to upgrade it would support a max of a Pentium 1 @ 200MHz, without MMX. The MMX chips are dual voltage and I doubt that board supports that. Same with the K6, they are dual voltage.
Yes, it can run 98, but it would probably be slow. I had a Pentium 200w/MMX and 64MB RAM, it ran it fine, but it was pretty slow sometimes. The minimum requirements I think are a 66MHz 486DX-2 with 16MB ram. I would run 95 or Linux on it, unless you don't have it.
For ocing, either change the multi if you can find a table on the board somewhere, most of them have it, or up the FSB.
For the RAM, it probably uses 72 pin SIMMs. The max you can use is probably 32MB chips, but you might be able to use double sided 64MB chips.
For the HD, check the cabling and try entering the options in the BIOS manually. It could also be that it is bad, but try the cable and manually entering options first. Good luck.
BTW, my 200MHz Pentium could run 233MHz. I also have a 66MHz DX2 that can run @ 80MHz. That should be able to do 166 to 200.

:( no k6-2. I would have loved that! Oh, I reckon that 98 should run, then. I installed XP in the past on a machine with 64MB ram so I reckon that 98 would run on 32. But I suppose I will have to try. Ummm maybe Boxing Day I will try and get that computer running. Also, if you say that about ram chips then I reckon that I have 2x 16MB Ram chips in it.

Why did you underclock your computer?????? Also is Windows Server 2003 any good? I have the option to use it but I want to know if it is worth it.

My main computer in my sig was underclocked because I only had a KT266A board, and the Sempron is 333MHz FSB. The highest I could get it to run stably was 1485MHz, and that caused my vid card to mess up on games because there is no lock. Now I have a new mobo and it is at 2029MHz (225.5x9, locked multi). Win Server 03 is okay; it takes some tweaking to get it to run games and everything (comes with DirectX 3 and hardware acceleration disabled). I have run it as a web server and it is okay. I am actually only using the Evaluation version though.
As for the RAM, how many sockets are there? If there are two that are used, then it is 2 16MB SIMMS.

I think that there is 3 slots for EDO ram. They are weird and asymmetrical unlike the SD-RAM and DDR-RAM slots I am used to which are symmetrical and you just open the things on the side and push them down on both sides and the little white retainers pop up whereas these EDO ram slots you have to put it near the front of the slot and kind of press both retainers down whilst putting it in, it's weird dude.

I'm not sure about the ram though (the capacity) and the only place you can find this for sale is ebuyer where it is £25 for 32mb (I payed £20 for my 256mb PC2100 the other week) so that is a bit mad. Cool, I may try Windows Server 2003 when I next reinstall windows (I can't be bothered with multibooting, I always mess it up when I attempt.)

Oh and have you ever had any experience with S3 ProSavage DDR onboard graphics?? I am having a very bad experiences with hl2 (umm about 10fps max I think) so I am going to have to wait until I can buy a Geforce FX5200 off a friend which should run it decently, sholdn't it???

Back