• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Dell vs Gateway

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

JetEngineMech

For a cheap-o computer (one of those $400-$500 deals), is Dell any better than Gateway? It's for my young kids but would like to know if one is more upgradable than the other.

i prefer dell personally. no particular reason - just thinking back i know of more nightmares with people who had gateways.

i have a dell, althought they are not phenomenal, i like their comps. I havent had any problems and they have cheap all the way to high end comps. 1 vote for Dell over gateway

dell is definately better if you want a premade

however compared to a home job it's a tie, they both loose :D

LOL! :clap: I agree!

I was originally going to give this homebuilt to the wife, buy a cheap-o for the kids, and build me a new one. BUT, due to financial restraints, I'm just going to upgrade this one and get a couple of cheap-o's. On the plus side, that's that much sooner I'll have 3 pc's crunching. :santa:

My folks have owned about 4 Gateway's, and never had any problems as far as hardware was concerned. I think whichever had the better price/warranty would be the clear winner. Not much else to look at when it comes to pre-built systems.

not only do the homebuilt systems work better, but they're more fun. dell takes away the fun of building it yourself.

I think Dell would be better. They seem to install less "stuff" on your computer. PowerSpecs (available at MicroCenter) also seem to be good and cheap. You can get one with Lindows (based on Linux) for about 270 without rebates.
www.microcenter.com
Out of the two choices presented though, I would say Dell. I haven't used a new one lately, but I have an old one that works fine (486DX/2 66MHz).

Back