• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

BIOS Problem or Fried Board?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

electrorcamd

I am not too worried about this right now, but I would like to get my board working again.
I have an AN35N Ultra, and it will not boot anymore. It had frozen while I was using it at one point in Windows (this was a couple months ago), so I turned it off using the switch on the back of the psu. Then I turned it back on, and it wouldn't boot. It didn't beep either. I tried taking the RAM out, and it beeped. So I put the RAM back in a different slot and it still didn't beep. I tried a different video card, that didn't help at all. I bought new RAM and tried it, and it still wouldn't beep at all. Then it would not beep without the RAM. I took the cpu out and it still wouldn't beep. Then I tried the cpu (1.6 Duron) in a different mobo (AK32VN) and it didn't work. I tried a different psu and it still wouldn't work. I then bought a new cpu and it still would not beep. Then I put the new cpu in the other board (AK32VN) and it worked fine.
So basically does this sound like a problem that can be fixed with a new BIOS chip, or does it sound like the board fried? It killed my cpu and won't beep.
I have emailed Shuttle tech support, but the first time I got no reply, and the second time I got a delivery status notification saying it failed.
What does everybody here think? Corrupted BIOS or fried AN35N?
Thanks

Sounds like first CPU is dead for one if it didn't work in the AK32VN. Have you tried to clear CMOS yet? Leave the CMOS battery out overnight with the jumper in the clear position & try it again with the new CPU in the morning. If it boots, enter BIOS select "Load Optimized Defaults" then "Save to CMOS & Exit".

Good Luck!

Regards, Balrog

Yeah, I am basically positive the Duron is dead. I can't even find it right now. Yeah, I did clear the cmos and take the battery out and everything, I just forgot about that since I last messed with it a month or so ago. I was just wondering if it sounded more like a corrupted BIOS or a totally fried board. I might try that again though.
I also emailed Shuttle again and got another DSN: Failure message, except this time it came in less than an hour.

Yeah clearing the CMOS again may help as with all the switching around you've done you could have borked it again. This time use the good CPU & a known working PSU, if it was beeping after the old CPU died theres a good chance the board is still OK. Its possivble that a new BIOS chip will help or if you know someone with the same BIOS chip you could chance hot-flashing. You could also try to re-flash the current chip if it doesn't work this next time around, if so try to use the "G" version unless you plan on using a Appalbred.

Regards, Balrog

I just got a new AN35N Ultra. Now my Sempron 2200+ runs at 2029GHz (225.5x9). I also realized something when I got this new board: I had the cmos jumper on the last board switched. So when I thought I switched it to clear, I actually switched back to normal. I will have to try it again sometime and see if it works.

"I had the cmos jumper on the last board switched."

Not the first time I've heard of that happening, hopefully you can get it up & running as 2 AN35N are definitely better than 1!

Regards, Balrog

I put it together and tried it again, except I didn't have anything connected (no cpu, no RAM, no vid card,... only the mobo); will it beep if it is working right? It didn't beep when I did that, but I don't if this board will or not without a cpu. I know some will, but I am not sure on this one.

I tried it again with my Centon PC2700 RAM from my main computer. It didn't work at first with the Duron, then I switched to my known good Sempron. It worked fine. Then I decided to switch back to the Duron and it also worked. I got it overclocked to about 2.166 again easily. It can sometimes start at 2.4GHz, so I guess it is working fine. I will just try to enable the extra L2 cache then try to get it 100% stable at 2.4GHz. Then I will try to buy more RAM and have a second good computer.
Thanks for the help

Back