• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Peltier W/Air?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Elif Tymes

How would a peltier work on a ducted Air cooled system? I'm getting some pretty decent air flow, and the air would all stay in the duct...

Anyways, woud I have to worry about overheating with the peltier?

I'm thinking about using DangerDens 120 Watt 40x40, and coupling it with my Approximately 70 CFM dual 80 MM fans...

The Heatsink I have now is Aluminum, would that make a differnce?

I am aware of needing to insulate, and am planning on doing so.

Thanks for helping!

It has been done before very effectively on relatively low heat-output GPUs like 9600s, where a low-wattage peltier that doesn't need much cooling can be used, and still give good results.

However, peltier cooling a processor with air isn't usually all that effective. The main problem, is that a processor needs a pretty beefy peltier on it for any sort of decent result. Use an inadequate peltier, and you won't get nice results, and may well fry something.

That said, a 120W peltier is not adequate for cooling a modern CPU.

Properly aircooling a 50mmX50mm 226W peltier is not an easy task by any means; you will probably find that your peltier hotside temperature will get out of control once you put a good overclock on the processor, and start dumping some serious heat.

Swiftech sells aircooled-peltier kits, and I recall seeing that they perform a little bit better than a straight up air-cooled heatsink. You have to question whether the cost of the unit, the power supply, and the higher power bill, are really worth slightly better than air-cooled results, especially when you could just use a watercooled peltier setup, for a slightly higher cost.

Back