• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

ASUS A8V Problems...

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Orex

Hi....

some days ago i assembled my new system:

Athlon 3000+ Win*
512MB DDR Samsung (see below)
ASUS A8V Deluxe Rev 2.0*
ATI Radeon 9800pro
Audigy 2ZS
200GB Maxtor disk*
Benq DVD Burner

WinXP SP2

* = new components, rest from my old P4

The first problem is that the board doesnt boot with two dimms installed ( they are not identical, so OK)

The far worse problem is that the system randomly locks up - sometimes it works for hours, sometimes it crashes two mins after boot. Since the crashes were preceeded by a strange sound, i suspected the audigy card.
I removed it - which didnt fix the crashes - only the noise :(

I tried everything - different BIOS version (1008 / 1009.7), different versions of the VIA driver, replacing the radeon with a pci gfx card, increasing voltages, changing ram...

I have now been trying different BIOS settings for over three hours and am close to RMA-ing the board. It just doesn't work :mad:

The strange thing is that i could play UT2k4 without crash and had prime95 run stable over the night...

Temperature is ok (~45° ; <100F )
The Voltages are OK aswell, only 12V is @ 11,7V - but if it would be a voltage problem, removing the gfx card would have solved it ( and the pc would crash in games)

I am out of ideas.. any help is very appericated..

Xero

A8V uses dual channel memory, if your RAM is not the same, you can use 1 chip only. When I switched from my Intel setup I had 4 different RAM chips running, had to buy all new stuff for the A8V or I could only run a single 512.

Are you reseting your CMOS when flashing the BIOS?

Did you read my OC Guide (Link in my sig)?
Plenty of tips in there. If you still have problems, pm me with the format listed in the "Case Files" section and I'll keep your case updated.

hm, i just realised that all crashes occured while i was connected to the internet via PPoE using a PCI ethernet card - i installed BIOS 1009.4 and switched to the internal ethernet - so far it's stable....

(audigy still uninstalled)

edit: idd it seems to be stable now - weird.

Last edited:
Can you please list the name, model and serial number of the Ethernet card?
Also could you list the driver version running it?

I'm making an incompatibile/problematic component database and this would help.

Thanks,

S.N

the card is a "D-Link DFE-530TX-Fast-Ethernet-Adapter (rev.A)" using the windows driver

i will later move the card to a different slot and check if it works there.
i will also look up the serial (if it has any).

I´m hoping someone has heard of these problems before. I bought an A8V based +3500 with sata raid from someone I thought knew what he was doing. Major problem: The Asus TV tuner card I ordered with it never ran properly, and will crash the computer when I run the software that came with it. The TV card was my choice (since I thought the original ASUS card would be best for an ASUS mobo) The guy I bought the PC from thinks it´s my problem, since I wanted that particular card. I asked the European ASUS support for advice, but they never bothered to reply to me. Second problem: I have two external drives: 1 Lacie D2 80 GB 1394 FW 400 drive, and a Lacie D2 250 GB USB/FW400/FW800 drive. The computer thinks the 80 GB is a network drive. BIG problem: The computer doesn´t boot up into windows with the external drives in FW400 and USB2, so I have to boot via bios every time. The guy I bought it from can´t be bothered about this, because it would boot up without the external drives no problem when he delivered it. The external drives was my choice, so it´s my problem :p
Now after owning the computer app. 1 1/2 year it doesn´t even boot up into windows WITHOUT the external drives anylonger, and I´m considering updating the bios and installing 64 bit windows instead of the 32 bit version it came with. I´m hoping to hear from someone who knows this mobo in and out, you might have an idea about wtf is wrong with it, since I gave up hearing from ASUS or the vendor. HELP!

numbnuts said:
I´m hoping someone has heard of these problems before. I bought an A8V based +3500 with sata raid from someone I thought knew what he was doing. Major problem: The Asus TV tuner card I ordered with it never ran properly, and will crash the computer when I run the software that came with it. The TV card was my choice (since I thought the original ASUS card would be best for an ASUS mobo) The guy I bought the PC from thinks it´s my problem, since I wanted that particular card. I asked the European ASUS support for advice, but they never bothered to reply to me. Second problem: I have two external drives: 1 Lacie D2 80 GB 1394 FW 400 drive, and a Lacie D2 250 GB USB/FW400/FW800 drive. The computer thinks the 80 GB is a network drive. BIG problem: The computer doesn´t boot up into windows with the external drives in FW400 and USB2, so I have to boot via bios every time. The guy I bought it from can´t be bothered about this, because it would boot up without the external drives no problem when he delivered it. The external drives was my choice, so it´s my problem :p
Now after owning the computer app. 1 1/2 year it doesn´t even boot up into windows WITHOUT the external drives anylonger, and I´m considering updating the bios and installing 64 bit windows instead of the 32 bit version it came with. I´m hoping to hear from someone who knows this mobo in and out, you might have an idea about wtf is wrong with it, since I gave up hearing from ASUS or the vendor. HELP!

Have you try putting the tuner card in other pci slots? I had a audigy 2 that would crash more often in slot 3 (i think) then in slot 4. Even thought in the manual it says that slot 4 don't share any irq, mine share with the usb controller.

Not sure about the firewire case but I can boot up with my external usb case. It thinks it's an additonal usb drive so no problem here. My A8V is a deluxe 2.0 running X2 3800+ with bios 1015 beta. Upping my bios to 1017 didn't help any of my crashing issue. Somehow, it take 4 minutes to shutdown now. I see a format in the near future. :p

Back