• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

My computer keeps crashing when the cpu's usage hit 100%

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Steveo989

Not officially involved with AAR
I know it is not the cpu temp. But can't figure what the problem is. The temp isn't an issue, do you think I need a new PSU my current one is 420 watts but is an offbrand. System specs AMD sempron not overclocked 2200+, geforce fx 5200, 420watt psu,2optical drives and one hard drive.
For example I can run it all year at 90% cpu usage but anything over it locks up. The cpu heatsink is cool to the touch.

Also it isn't the ram because I have heatspreaders on them and I have 6 case fans 8 with PSU.

actually it is possible that the heatspreaders are the problem, there has been considerable debate over the effectiveness of heatspreaders, with many believing that they trap heat rather than dissipating it. also a decent psu is always a good investment, i know as i lost a hard drive when my generic psu started spiking.

it should also be noted that just because your psu claims to be 420W it may not be
have a look at this:
http://www.ocforums.com/showthread.php?t=62822
and this:
http://www.ocforums.com/showthread.php?t=232592

Sounds like voltage droop to the core under load. Could very well be the PSU or the mobo has a issue. Is it a lockup/reboot or does windows freeze?

Have you run any stability tests? Have you run Memtest at all, and if so are you getting any errors. And as far as your ps goes how do your rails look, judging by the config your running 420 watts seems to be more than enough, even if its not running at "true" power. I do agree with subtotal in the fact that a good ps goes a long way especially when you get into oc'ing that Sempron. And remember, theres always a chance that you have a bad chip. Personally Ive been running heat spreaders on my past two systems and havent had a problem with them yet. I would run memtest to see how the memory is running though.

I know that everyone is suggesting it might be a hardware problem,but let me ask:do you have an Audigy sound card?If so,the file: CThelper.exe is notorious for using up all your systems resources.I know SPyot allows you to disable it in the tools>system startup area.Might be that,might not be...but it doesnt hurt to explore all options.

One other thing...what is the +12 load rated at on your PSU?

So weird because as last ditch effort to keep it running I switched the outlet now it runs 24/7 wihtout problems.

The outlet that it was in before didn't have enough juice. I don't know I am not an electrician. It worked fine after I plugged it into a different outlet.

Possible problems:

A friend of mine had FX5200 with passive cooling, that used to simply hang when there was high VGA load. Adding fan helped.

Other common issue - dust in some slots, like AGP or RAM.

Microcrack on mobo or something else that causes problems when part is heated and slightly bends (I had such thing).

Damaged part? RAM / mobo / CPU ?

PSU - my cousin has Barton 2500+ with Radeon 9200, 512 megs of ram in 1 stick, some hdd and cd-rw drive. PSU was "350W" Tracer and couldn't handle this system (no OC).

Previously he had comp that "dunno why used to hang". Problem was heat. He had damaged case fan and poor case ventilation. Mobo sensor reported pretty good temps tho.

And about outlets:
Get some multimeter and check voltages. If you know electricial installation, check if there are not too many things connected to lline with your comp, as voltage drop may be dramatic and cause problems, especially with worse PSUs.

Well, you could have faulty wiring in that outlet, who knows. Works now so dont change the outlet. I would still run all the tests mentioned above and see if your system is running like it should.

Back