• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Athlon MOBILE cpu's ?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

mako777

I just recieved a 2600+ mobile and using some cheap MSI K7N Delta board until my Asus a7n8x-e deluxe comes.

I noticed when i first booted, it was default at 800mhz.

What settings can i keep safely stock to just get it at its rightful speed of 2000mhz ?

The mobiles are unlocked, you can just adjust the multiplier to whatever setting matches up with your ram. Shouldn't be a problem.

133x13.5 is good ? What makes you want to use multiplier vs. CPU frequency ?

cause im not sure when to up the multiplier, and when to up the FSB

If you are just trying for a stable 2ghz until your new mb gets in, set the multiplier to the speed of your ram. For example: if you have pc3200 that runs at 200FSB, set the multiplier to 10 for cpu speed of 2ghz. For pc2100 (133FSB) use pat's 133x13.5. Just depends on what speed your msi and your ram can handle.

If it's staying stuck at 800mhz try removing the four pin 12v power cable..

What?? Why would you want to do that? Doesn't that cause the main ATX line to draw more current and it can damage your board? Or does that work with MSI boards to "unstick" them?

What these guys are trying to say is that a stock mobile will run at a 133 fsb. Therefor the multiplier must be 13.5 to get to 2 Ghz. You would just need the stock voltage for this.

If you have DDR400 then the default ram speed is 200. You could then set your fsb to 200 and then the mult (as said 2 posts above) would need to be 10. The thing is that higher fsb will require a bit more voltage to be stable so instead of the stock 1.45V for the mobile you might need 1.475 or 1.5V to get it Prime stable.

The real overclocking begins when you hit a high fsb though. Just to ask, can you still return the Asus board that is coming? If so I'd get a NF7-S rev2 if you plan on really overclocking this setup. You'll be lucky to hit 210 fsb on the Asus while NF7's will regularly hit 235+ and some will go 250+. I needed a vdd volt mod on mine because I could only hit 236 but my max after the mod went up to 260. Just something to think about.

Just a helpful hint. Turn cpu interface ON in BIOS and set your cpu:ram ratio to anything that is 1:1 ( 2:2...... 3:3 ETC). That might help out. I'm not familiar with the MSI board though so you may even have trouble reaching 200 fsb. Make sure you don't jump the fsb really high because if you get errors in either your ram or chipset it can corrupt Windows. To that end.... use Memtest86+ to check for either error to prevent that from happening.

mako777 said:
133x13.5 is good ? What makes you want to use multiplier vs. CPU frequency ?

cause im not sure when to up the multiplier, and when to up the FSB
133x13.5 at 1.45V is the default for the XP/M 2600+, the stock speed, if you will. (~1800MHz)

There has been a lot said about overclocking methods, but the one method that I use that works is: Increase FSB to the maximum your RAM can handle, and then slowly adjust the multiplier to the maximum internal CPU frequency the CPU can handle. Adjust voltage in steps no larger than 25mV, to a maximum of 1.8-1.9V on air. (.025V steps) Lower voltages are better. You will hit a point where a 25mV increase in voltage results in progressively less frequency increase and progressively more heat. This is the point of diminishing returns. I operate my overclocked XP system right at this point of diminishing returns as I personally feel it is the safest place to operate. This is both science and luck. Your mileage will vary.

Take care to monitor temperatures while overclocking. Do not exceed 65C diode indicated temperature. (85-90C is the maximum specified thermal operating point by AMD, measured top dead center on the CPU die. The reason that we use a lower temperature for TNE is that temperature tolerance goes down as frequency and voltage go up. Some boards monitor at the socket; do not exceed 55-60C socket. Opinions do vary on CPU temperatures; my colleague @md0cer will tell a different story of what to use but the end result is for best performance and stability you MUST be cool.)

Use a program like Prime95 (here) to do stability testing at each point. Prime95 primarily tests the "northside" components--CPU, RAM, and northbridge integrated circuit. Needless to say, if it will not boot Windows, you're not stable, but simply booting into Windows isn't enough of a benchmark to ensure stability either. Memtest is also a good stability tester, along with 3dMark for overall stability checks.

Other issues: PCI locks. Some boards use PCI/AGP/FSB frequency ratios to determine how fast your perhipheral busses run. PCI and AGP need to stay as close to 33/66 as possible, otherwise other components in your system will start acting up and may even be damaged. I don't know if that board you have right now is a PCI-lockable board. (A PCI lock drives the PCI and AGP busses at 33.33 and 66.67MHz at all times, regardless of front side and memory bus frequencies. This is a Good Thing.) If you don't have a PCI lock, the PCI and AGP bus frequencies will increase progressively with FSB/Memory bus frequencies until you hit another divider point, where the FSB:AGP:pCI divider will change, moving the perhipehral busses back down to a safe level. (Or you may have to set dividers manually in BIOS. This means you need to get out your calculator ;) and do the following:

FSB frequency / AGP divider = AGP bus frequency
AGP bus frequency / PCI divider = PCI bus frequency

Example: FSB = 200MHz
200 / 3 ~= 66.67MHz
66.67 / 2 ~= 33.33MHz

Figures for tolerance vary, but I use 66 +3/-0MHz for AGP and 33 +2/-0MHz for PCI. I'm very conservative, seeing as how I don't have the money to buy new hardware all the time. A PCI-locked nForce 2 Ultra400 board will eliminate this as a headache.)

*phew*

FYI

Default 2600+ Mobile speed is around 2.0 Ghz

133 x 15 = 1.995

To make this as simple as possible. You should try to get the highest fsb as possible, and the highest CPU speed as possible using the multipliers.

If your memory can only handle 166 fsb then that would be a good starting point to set your fsb to and leaving it there. Then you work on setting the multiplier to as high as you can get it so that the system stays stable.

If you set the fsb to 166, you would start with a mulitplier of around 12. 166x12 = 1992 which is close to the default speed of your CPU. Then you slowly raise the multiplier to get a faster CPU speed. You should test it after every change. Once the CPU is running faster it might need more power so you have to increase the Vcore also slightly.

Having the fsb as high as possible will give more overall system speed improvement in the long run then just having a fast CPU.

You have to be careful how high you set the vcore, and how hot your CPU gets from overclocking it.

Back