• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Defrag not doing its job...

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

lastleg

Registered
Hi Folks!

I run Norton Utilities' defrag almost once a night but lately it's been leaving quite a bit of files not neatly stacked. Used to - what would change this? Thx!

perhaps the files are locked and can't be moved.

Why do you run so often? Defrag doesn't need to be done that often, unless you're constantly adding/removing files. Once a week is fine.

Obsessive-compulsive I think <grn> Although I've seen in other threads on this forum that others might be as well. lol

I don't usually use third party programs for defragging. I, at one time, did use Norton Systemworks but I found that it hurt my computer more than it helped. I just use the regular windows defragger. I feel that M$ tools should be more apt to correctly defrag M$ things. But I guess if other programs work, use em :)

I haven't found Norton's defragger to be the best one. And the built-in defragger sucks. I finally switched to Diskeeper several months back, and it really flies. You can set it to run in the background and it has this "cruise control" thing where it monitors disk I/O and doesn't interfere when you are working and need more I/O yourself. I also particularly like the fact that it doesn't quit when it hits open files/programs, so you don't have to run it in safe mode.

HeddaLora said:
And the built-in defragger sucks. I finally switched to Diskeeper several months back, and it really flies.
Assuming you're referring to XP...
Disk Defragmenter MMC is based on the full retail version of Executive Software Diskeeper. The version that is included with Windows XP and later provides limited functionality in maintaining disk performance by defragmenting volumes that use the FAT, FAT32, or NTFS file system
How to Defragment Your Disk Drive Volumes in Windows XP

http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;314848&Product=winxp

WOW I had no idea they had a v9 out, I have been using V8 and love it. I really like 2 things, the Boot Time Defrag so it can defrag the boot sector, MFT and all the other startp areas that it cant access while windows is running, as well as the set and forget mode. It knows when you are busy and when you are away and will defrag when it needs to.

Back