• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

NF7-S and Mobile Problems

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

matttheniceguy

I have been running a 2600 mobile on an NF7-S as in my sig.

I got some free time over the christmas break so I took the whole thing appart to do some work on it. I modded the case a bunch and did some other random consmetic crap, but the most important things were adding heatsinks to the mosfets, putting a zalmen NB-1 on the northbridge, putting the northbridge heatsink on the southbridge, putting heatsinks on a few other mosfets, and I did the L12 mod. I also switched from the soccet clip waterblock retention thing I had been using to one using 4 bolts and plates thorugh the mobo.

I went into the bios and loaded optimized defaults and reloaded. Everything seemed to be working ok, 166 fsb, 6 multi, loaded windows and runs fine. I them went back to the bios to speed things up. I am not having big problems with the two tone siren. When I tried running 200*10 with 1.65 volts, after the bios loads I get a message that the cpu is inoperable or changed. At other settings like 166*10 windows will begin to load, but the computer will switch off and I will get a two tone siren. The cpu temperature is normal.

What's my problem? Is this the sort of thing that happens with the "dreaded two tone siren" as in the sticky? I got the idea from that that the siren just went off and the computer didn't shut down. Could it just be that my motherboard or cpu doen't like the L12 mod? Is it possable that the cpu has been damaged (by heatsink installation or whatever) and just won't run like that now? I thought that if the cpu worked at all it hasn't been damaged.

Anyway, thanks for any answers.

Have you gone into the bios and turned on the setting that allows you to overclock? I forget what it is called, but this same thing has happened to me when I forget to turn on that setting

are you talking about the CPU interface setting?

The computer works fine with that on or off at 166*6, but won't work whatever that setting is at faster speeds. I normally have CPU interface enabled.

what voltages are you pumping when you try to hit 200x10 (besides the 1.65 vcore)? what're your ram timings? what's your ram rated at at 200mhz? what was the highest oc you could hit before the L12? also, how long had you had the processor before you started messing with it? are you sure the cpu is resting well in the socket?

I have been running this motherboard and ram with an older 2800+ for over a year, and switched to the 2600 mobile about a month ago. I know the problem is not related to ram timmings or anything like that. I am running my ram and motherboard well within their boundaries and still having the problem.

I was running the cpu at 2.6ghz and about 1.8v. It was able to do about 2.45ghz with 1.65 volts.

I have tried setting such as 1.65volts at 200*10, or 166*10 and have had the shutdown and two tone siren. My cpu temps are around what they always are. I installed a temp probe on the cpu so I guess there is a chance that it is keeping things from making proper contact, although I would think this would make my cpu temps go up.

Ok, turns out the infumous two tone siren saved the life of my precious mobile.

I had installed an enermax temperature monitor, so there was a thermocouple touching the edge of the core and some wires running to it. I thought the wires were thin enough, but I guess someone got a little heavy on the heatshirek because they were keeping my waterblock from making full contact. I removed the heatshring and reinstalled everything, and my system is back up and running properly.

I have also switched from a spring retention system using the soccet clips to one using 4 bolts, and the added pressure has droped my load temp 6 degrees :D

:bang head :bang head :bang head :bang head

..or thats what i would be felling like right now lol. on the nf7s.. after some ..force i poped off the top part of the cpu socket.. and i cut a part out for a themal diode ..works wonderful..but till i am finshed modding my case and all.. i keep the diode out because its too hard taking it out and in everytime i want to change something.

also ..the zalman cooler.. i find it dont sit fully on the chipset..freaks me out.. i am going to make my one if i can.. what temps does copper melt at?

I also noticed that the northbridge sink doesn't cover the whole northbridge, but I have seen many people using them on these boards and have heard nothing bad. Does the northbridge actually take up the entire space, or is it more like a small chip with a heatspreder on it?

the melting point of copper is just shy of 2000 F, and you would have to keep it very free of inpurities (even from the air) for it to still be a good conductor. I have tried making heatsinks from scratch as well, and it generally isn't worth it. Your best bet would be to cut up an old cpu heatsink for the nortbridge.

Back