• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Newbie cooling problem

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

delamar

Greetings

I have just upgraded my pc here are the specs

AMD 2800+ XP
Gigabyte 7vt700p
WD 120gig
Radeon 9550 pro
1 gig ram
Thermaltake Xaser V case with 5 stock fans
Vantec aeroflow VA4-c7040 CPU cooling fan
dvdr drive
dvd rom drive
350watt PSU

My problem is that the system runs at 50 degrees celcius at idle with the Vantec CPU fan and heatsink. This is exactly the same temperature as when i had the stock AMD retail fan and heatsink.

I thought by changing to the Vantec cooler, which has had some good reviews, I would see the temperature come down a few degrees.

Is there something i could have done wrong?

I used the supplied thermal grease, about 1mm thick.

Is 50 degrees too hot? I want to be able to everclock, but my computer seems to be hotter than everyone elses.

Anyway thanks.

Greetings again

I took the heatsink off and cleaned it all up again, applied the thermal gease very faintly this time, reinstall the hsf and its still the same temp.

I also noticed that when i first started the computer up, i went straight to the BIOS and checked the temp 10seconds after power button pressed and it said 35 degrees, the ambient tempreature is 22.8 in my room. Does the CPU really jump over 10 degrees within 10 seconds?

Thanks again.

Turning your computer on is one of the most demanding things it can do, so it will get your temps going pretty high pretty quickly. Best thing, check your case fans. It might be re-circulating hot air in your case. So check your fans and make sure they arent pointing in every other direction :p

Also, some motherboards read higher than others. I'm not too keen on your board, so maybe someone else more experienced with those boards will be able to comment on the accuracy of their temp probes.

It also takes a while for AS5 to do its job, so just do some prime95 or Folding or something like that for a few hours, let your comp cool down, do it again, and repeat for about a day. Then you should see your temps lower alittle bit more.

The Giga-Byte boards are reasonably accurate within a degree or two.

Sounds like wires may be inhibiting air some (guessing). If you have wires in the airflow that might give you the higher temps. Try to move them out of the airflow, and see if that helps.

Enablingwolf said:
The Giga-Byte boards are reasonably accurate within a degree or two.

Sounds like wires may be inhibiting air some (guessing). If you have wires in the airflow that might give you the higher temps. Try to move them out of the airflow, and see if that helps.

Agreed. Also, if you are into it, you could sleeve your PSU to make it look cleaner. Or head over to Performance-PCs.com and email them about sleeving your PSU. It's about $50 +Return shipping, and they professionally sleeve your PSU. That price includes materials and labor which is a sick deal IMO. Going to be sending my Fortron 550watt to them soon. :D

Then ZIP TIE THOSE WIRES! :D It gets pretty fun really. Each time you take your computer apart, you find new ways to route your wires.

My main problem is, i wanted to see an improvement in temperature when i swapped the stock AMD HSF to the Vantec Aeroflow.

Somethings got to be wrong if there is no improvement, is that correct?

is 49 idle ok and 54 load ok?? bearing in mind that this system is not overclocked.

Thanks

Also, i downloaded Motherboard Monitor, latest version, set that up and it said the CPU temp was 10 degrees lower than the BIOS, or Easytune4.

Which is correct?

I would go with BIOS. But one thing using BIOS to read temps. I think it loads up your CPU and gives closer to load temps then idle. So yeah MBM might be accurate(BIOS also).

delamar said:
My main problem is, i wanted to see an improvement in temperature when i swapped the stock AMD HSF to the Vantec Aeroflow.

Somethings got to be wrong if there is no improvement, is that correct?

is 49 idle ok and 54 load ok?? bearing in mind that this system is not overclocked.

Thanks
The Vantec HS appears to be marginally better than a stock retail heatsink. So your temps could be improved somewhat, but not much more. Wait for the TIM to settle in and then see if the temps drop some, you can expect 3° or so more off that once it does its thing.
For stock temps that isn't horrible, unless you plan to overclock that CPU. Try and adress any wires that may be inhibiting the airflow or upgrade to better heatsink or fans, perferablly both.

Lol, Gigabyte boards are not reasonably accurate in displaying CPU temperature in the Windows based program for monitoring temperature.

The program reads temperatures as 5-6*C LOWER than the BIOS temperature. I have 2 8INXP boards and both read way below the BIOS temperature.
There was a whole thread about this before, Gigabyte was the main culprit.
Make sure you read the BIOS temperature and not the Windows temperature.

Having said that, I still think Gigabyte have the best boards on the market... :thup:

;)

For me those temps are ungodly hot. I have an oc'd 1600+ palamino with a Zalman 3100+ cu heatsink on it, with a worn out clip, and it doesn't get that high on load. Max is 46c, and I don't even like that, but I'm a real stickler about temps. The processor is running from 1400 to 1616 on stock voltage, but it makes a difference. I'd suggest finding another cooler, but not a Thermalright.....I have a friend who bought one that hat pits in the bottom. Zalman is good. I'd go for a 7000cu, if your board can handle it.

Back