• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Pin Trick Did it work or not? 3000 XP.

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

jozwikjp

Registered
Hello,

Thanks In advanced for any help

Koolance Water cooled
Athlon XP 3000+ @ 184x 2391mhz
ASUS A7v333
3x512 Kingston 2700
6800 GT 256MB
560 Watt power supply

I tied a wire on the 2 pins in the bottom of the CPU to unlock it. It was a newer one and in only a couple months old So I should be over clocked.

In the bios I can change the multipler from 13x up to whatever 20x or something.. Any time I change it though the computer boots and CPUID says multiplier is 13x I go back in the bios and its still set to the higher ones.. 14x.

So I am wondering did I fail at unlocking the CPU. Should I try to solder the 2 pins together? I did get the speeds up with this FSB settings that are 166x 167x I got it up to 184x seem to be running aok.

Thank You

Joe

All desktop Barton 2500+ as of 1 and a half year ago are locked multi. The Barton 3000 multi has always been lock. You can only up the FSb. The only unlocked multi and FSB is the Barton mobile but they come with lower stock FSB speed. That is why you need to do the pin trick to up the stock FSB speed.

Ok thank you for the help..

Do you think I should remove the wire that I put on those 2 pins??
under the proccessor

Well, I'm still a newbie (got my first star today!) but I think you just shorted two pins that already were connected at the factory. (Judging from your RAM that your XP 3000+ probably is the version that runs at 13x166=2158MHz not the XP 3000+ that runs at 10.5x200=2100MHz).

Normally you do the pin trick to access multipliers higher than 12.5. Since your CPU's multiplier is 13, you're already able to access 13 and higher. So it would be nice to remove the jumper but as long as it's not shorting anything that wasn't intended to be shorted, it's probably ok until you have another reason to pull off the HSF.

Of course your XP 3000+ is Superlocked so it doesn't matter what you set your multiplier to in the BIOS - you're gonna get 13 unless you somehow play with other bridges to "turn" this chip into a mobile.

I was assuming that you did the pin mod for higher multipliers. Of course there is another pin mod for higher FSB on the mobiles. You are talking about the mod for higher multipliers?

Yes Not the mobile PC.. Mine is the 2167mhz one
I have been able to overclock by adjusting the FSB though so thats cool. Im going to try kicking it up some more when I get home. I think I might have used too much thermal paste so I am going to take off that wire and clean the cpu and heat sink. My temps are around 48C on idle. @ 2391mhz

Thanks for the help everyone.
Joe

If you or anyone feels they need to do pin mods (like me) i found it easier to put one strand of thin speaker wire bent into a U shape into the appropriate holes in the actual socket using a pair of tweezers ( borrow some off the wife she's bound to have some) that way you do not have the problem of the wire touching other pins :p

thats a good idea. Thanks..

So far I can get it past 2391mhz

using 2700 Kingston value ram.

If I go higher then 184/ then it will continue to reboot over and over.. Instead of the ram reading 1.5 Gig it reads around 840 i think.. So I think it is the ram.. I havent messed with voltage yet. Any thoughts? Oh and my CPU is running at around 47C with somewhat of a load.

Being as you cannot go lower than the 13 multi maybe your ram is holding you back if 2391mhz is stable you could have tested your ram by lowering the multi and raising the fsb a tad more so you cut the cpu limit out. Best option woulb be to get some pc3200 which will run at least 200mhz. Your cpu would max out way before you went to 200 x 13 (2.6 gig) your temp looks fine at 48 if thats load. Have you ran prime95 torture test. That will give you max load temp. Mine has reached 52 running prime.

BTW what your cpu voltage at. Download cpu-z excellent program. :cool:

Last edited:
Do you have the date information (printed on the cpu itself) for the cpu you have? In any case as you only have PC2700 then I think you should stick to the multiplier you have as 184FSB on a mobo that also has no agp lock (a7v33 only has 1/5 divider) is probably as far as you want to go. If you knew the date of manufacture for your cpu we could tell you if it is superlocked or not. If it is not you could hardwire a multi of say 13.5 or 14.

Another option would be selling your XP3000+ while it still has more value than an XP-Mobile to the "uninitiated", getting an XP-M 2600+, putting a little cash back in your pocket and a smile on your face!

Of course then you could get something out of the multiplier pin trick.

snakeman300 said:
Being as you cannot go lower than the 13 multi maybe your ram is holding you back if 2391mhz is stable you could have tested your ram by lowering the multi and raising the fsb a tad more so you cut the cpu limit out. Best option woulb be to get some pc3200 which will run at least 200mhz. Your cpu would max out way before you went to 200 x 13 (2.6 gig) your temp looks fine at 48 if thats load. Have you ran prime95 torture test. That will give you max load temp. Mine has reached 52 running prime.

BTW what your cpu voltage at. Download cpu-z excellent program. :cool:

Voltage is at 1.712 Idle temp at 44C and Ran some torture stuff did get about 50C . Oh.. I got Kingston Value Ram 3x512's don't know if I already said that.. I got a 1.5 gigs of ran trying weigh if it would be worth the performance gain to put better ram in.. Or should I just settle until the next rebuild comes around. Which should be in 2 years or less im thinking, before the next major lan party when we have the next who's king competition. :) which ever comes first..

And My cpu is really late release I bought it retail about 5 months ago.. The number on it are really high compared to other serials I checked. Plus I did the wire thing around the 2 pins and got no love.. :)

This overclocking thing is really exciting stuff.. :) I spent my entire work day researching and all last night tinking :).. The more I read the more dough I want to blow..

Quentin said:
Another option would be selling your XP3000+ while it still has more value than an XP-Mobile to the "uninitiated", getting an XP-M 2600+, putting a little cash back in your pocket and a smile on your face!

Of course then you could get something out of the multiplier pin trick.

You guys got some very creative solutions...

Last edited:
OC Detective said:
Its not the serial number you need to look at rather the date code on the cpu. What exactly was the pin mod you did?

I did the pins of the toms hardware for that cpu .. Barton.. connected the 2 with a little peice of wire.. The there was Serial code I think that said any number after around 300 some where was multi locked. Mine was much over 300 In the same are.. With the 2 numbers one on top of the other..

the pins were... Marked corner on left bottom side .. 4 pins in a diamon formation with a little space in the middle .. // heres the pic
http://www6.tomshardware.com/cpu/20030210/images/overclocking4.jpg

OK first up that mod only gives you access to the multis 12.5 and below as it changes the 8x bit of the multi from high to low so going for multis such as 14 (or anything 13 and above) wont work. Secondly your serial number bears no relation to the date code so it could be 300+ and still be an early dated cpu. Your link is just toms hammer btw!

OC Detective said:
OK first up that mod only gives you access to the multis 12.5 and below as it changes the 8x bit of the multi from high to low so going for multis such as 14 (or anything 13 and above) wont work. Secondly your serial number bears no relation to the date code so it could be 300+ and still be an early dated cpu. Your link is just toms hammer btw!

Hmm. I already took the CPU out and pulled the wire that I though was not doing anything.. If I pull it I will write down the number on the proccessor. I was going based on what spider above stated that all newer ones and 3000 are all multi locked and only the M proccessors can be modded. Maybe I will try to do it again tommorow. But My eyes cannot see that small tonight :)

Thank for the help..
Joe

OK no problem - it is highly likely it will be superlocked but best to double check - just give us all the info on the cpu sticker when you can. As the 3000+ (166) came out before 0339 (your toms hardware link is proof of that!) then contrary to what spider says not everyone will be locked (again the THG link by using the wire mod is proof of this!). But if you bought it from a big computer store where turnover is high most likely it will be superlocked rather than a pre 0339 model.

Sorry, I haven't heard anything about the pre 0339 for XP-3000+. I though the pre 0339 week was only for the XP-2500 being unlock. I guess maybe the "pre 0339" may have included the 3000 or maybe a few others? don't know. But definately the pre 0339 XP-2500+ are unlock as I said before. The only Athlon (that I know) that is still fully unlock now is the XP-mobile and FX-55. Any yes, the wire mod I was referring to is for uping the FSB on mobiles because I was not sure what you are trying to do with a locked CPU (or what I had assumed locked). If your CPU is a truely unlocked, there is a mod for the higher multi but I would not increase the multi above 13 unless I absolutely have to because the FSB is maxed. Increasing the FSB is always preffered over the multi.

Back