• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Good overclocking video programs?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

tom10167

THIS is the kind of stuff that should be stickied as well, searching for "Video" program" and "overclock" or any combination is going to take a LOT of sifting, so I ask.

I'd prefer it didn't install, just a little program I can use, that's about it, what do you recommend, and why?

Hmmm, depends on what video card it's for:

Ati tool for Ati. It's small and easy to use. Plus it has some nice simple features.

Coolbits for nvidia. Again it's small and easy to use.

Never had a problem with any of them.

;)

Oh btw, they both install. They have to otherwise how else are you gonna adjust clocks? Another way is to flash your card which eliminates the ocing via program, or you can just run stock and eliminate it all.

No other way around it.

With the ATITool, how long does it take to "Find the Max Core" & Mem clock setting?

I ran mine for over 8 hours, and gave up waiting.

I found my max core and mem in 30-40 minutes each. After ATI tool finds the max speeds, it begins to lower them. I have not sat around long enough to see if they go back up, thereby making it a continuous process. So if you have been running "Find Max Core" and then leaving the room or going to bed DONT DO THIS. Just sit at the computer and watch it for when it 1st starts to go back down. Also i did notice that on a few occasions it would get stuck and I would have to Abort and start again. But this was usually within the 1st few minutes.

Also another thing to check out type of card are you trying to OC. Alot of the older cards need to be soft modded. If this isnt done then it will appear that your card speeds are being increased but they really aren't. I suggest just reading the ATI tool website FAQ's and Forum for info. I found them extremely helpful and helped me OC my Radeon 9600 Pro without a prob.

prw001 said:
I found my max core and mem in 30-40 minutes each. After ATI tool finds the max speeds, it begins to lower them. I have not sat around long enough to see if they go back up, thereby making it a continuous process. So if you have been running "Find Max Core" and then leaving the room or going to bed DONT DO THIS. Just sit at the computer and watch it for when it 1st starts to go back down. Also i did notice that on a few occasions it would get stuck and I would have to Abort and start again. But this was usually within the 1st few minutes.
I'd reccomend 30-40 minutes artifact free as well. I usually go an hour myself, but after checking the logs, they'll usually manifest themselves within a half hour (I did have one appear after 47 mintues of being artifact free, but the next longest one was like 36 minutes or something).

ATITool will NOT increase your GPU/Mem clock after a while since if it detected artifacts at that speed once, it's just going to detect them again. ATITrayTool will bump the clock speed up after not detecting artifacts, but it too will then re-detect them (and then possibly use those artifacting speeds as your max "stable" OC).

prw001 said:
Also another thing to check out type of card are you trying to OC. Alot of the older cards need to be soft modded. If this isnt done then it will appear that your card speeds are being increased but they really aren't. I suggest just reading the ATI tool website FAQ's and Forum for info. I found them extremely helpful and helped me OC my Radeon 9600 Pro without a prob.
<nitpick>Actually, this is refered to as unlocking ;) Softmodding opens up pipes, flashing changes the BIOS, and unlocking lets the card be OCd [some cards come unlocked from the mfr. though].</nitpick>

JigPu

when ever i use ATI-tool with my Flashed X800 pro to XT pe. everytime I click "set clock" to change the core and mem the screen goes crazy and i have to restart to get it back to normal.

I prefer radlinker myself. I like ATI tool for it's temp monitoring features which can be relayed to MBM. Radlinker (IMO) is way easier to use for clocks & such. It does install onto your system, but only a little control panel located in your video card display options.

I don't know if anyone else had this problem, but after i installed Radlinker and restarted, my computer would always crash as Windows XP was trying to load. I was able to get into Safe mode, but then i couldn't remove programs in it. Eventually I got it off my computer but it gave me a giant headache.

Back