• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

My Dream Plan.. Whatta Ya think? Xeon Combo

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

jozwikjp

Registered
Hello Everyone.
Thank you in advance for any input

I found this forum today at work and I had a vision .. Please let me explain..

http://www.jncs.com/php/bundle/show.php?mb=mb-as-ncch-dl

I am looking at getting the the above motherboard comes with 2x2.8 Xeons and 4x512 DDR 3200 for $1295 Asus NCCH-DL is the MOBO.. I looked at opteron but they were a little higher priced and didn't know about there heat and overclocking stuff.

I have 6800 GT for Video and a SATA Raid 0 .5TB

I currently have the koolance case with
http://www.koolance.com/shop/product_info.php?cPath=28_43&products_id=117
With a 560 Watt power supply.
This would have water cooling on both CPU's so I would want to over clock a bit.

I do a good amount of video encoding and DL many binaries daily.. :) And gaming 2. And most importantly there is a upcoming lan party where I would like to be the king.

Question..
1.Does this look like a good plan to you?
2.Also good deal on that MOBO combo?
3.Is the power supply going to be good enough for 2 CPU 2 hard drives 2 dvd burners. Fans and some pretty lights?
4. Is this case big enough for a Dual proccessor system.. Not familier with these boards.

Thank You for any help
Joe

Sounds like a decent plan but a few notes:
1. The RAM that comes in that combo is most likely some value ram that won't overclock well. My reccomendation is to find a couple ~$200 1 GB kit that use Samsung TCCD chips. Its the only stuff on the market right now that does 2-2-2-x @ ddr400.

2. With all that RAM, there will be tremendous stress on the memory controller, so overclocking wouldn't be as high if you use 512MB or 1 GB. So you may want to consider some faster CPUs to go with the JNCS RAM.

2cpu.com has a massive thread about this board here: http://forums.2cpu.com/showthread.php?s=&threadid=52272. I'm sure they'd be glad to help you further.

Seems a bit high to me. I have an almost identical computer planned (2x 2.8 Ghz Nocona, 2GB (512MB x 4), NCCH-DL) and those components would only cost me about $1,000. I'm using cheaper RAM though, because I don't plan on overclocking it, but it sounds like that $1,295 package uses value RAM, too. All the prices except the NCCH-DL are from Newegg.

2x 2.8ghz new emt64 nacona's for $370 on ebay
1x ncch-dl new for $242 at ewiz.com
2x 512mb patriot pc3200 2,2,2,5 tccd ram $220 at newegg

total=$832!!!

you can have a faster system for even less if you use good stepping 2.4ghz Xeons:

2x 2.4ghz xeons that do 3.4-3.5ghz=$200-300 on ebay

of course, in 2007 with windows longhorn, you may need the naconas...but don't need that heat now, if you ask me ;)

The powersupply will probably be enough. But you will probably need to buy a 20-pin to 24-pin adapter for the power connector. It should also come with the 4pin 12v connector to 8pin connector.

And as the others say, you can probably get it cheaper if you buy the parts separately.

You should also be able to fit the board in a standard mid-tower atx case, but it may be a tight fit. I fit my PC-DL in Antec Super Lanboy and i heard someone else fit their NCCH-DL in this same case. It was a pretty tight fit but it works.

And once you get it, you'll love encoding videos :p

If you want to really go cheap, here's what my 3.1 GHz/207 MHz FSB dual Xeon setup cost:

2 x 1.6 GHz LV Xeons - $112 on eBay
2 x Intel Retail Wind Tunnel HS/Fams - $25 on eBay
Refurbed Asus PC-DL - $162 at Newegg
2 x 512MB Mushkin PC3200 - $140 at Newegg

Total Cost = $440!!!

And for $550 Total, you can have the combo with that cheap Patriot TCCD they're selling over at Newegg if you want. And if your timing is right, you can pick up a refurbed PC-DL at dumpinggoods.com for around $130. These LV Xeons are amazing and the guy selling them on eBay originally had 200 of them. But when he's sold out, that's it.

DaveB said:
If you want to really go cheap, here's what my 3.1 GHz/207 MHz FSB dual Xeon setup cost:

Total Cost = $440!!!

And for $550 Total, you can have the combo with that cheap Patriot TCCD they're selling over at Newegg if you want. And if your timing is right, you can pick up a refurbed PC-DL at dumpinggoods.com for around $130. These LV Xeons are amazing and the guy selling them on eBay originally had 200 of them. But when he's sold out, that's it.

with the patriot ram (5-10% faster with tight timings and the future use of it in faster fsb situations) that's exactly what i'd get...

best bang for your buck...

DaveB said:

Total Cost = $440!!!

You overclock 1.6 to 3.1.. That is amazing.. It runs real stable and everying?

You are mistaken Vrykyl...that's just an above average OC for those, My sig is actualy a tad (50 mhz) below average I'd say!...so yeah he's probably running 6.2ghz combined!

I'm gonna be biased...but I got my PC-DL, 2 1.6 and IWT's for 300 shipped (second hand), and had 2x512 PC3200 in my PC with a antec true 550 already, picked up a 20-24 adapter and 4-8 and I'm LOVING IT!!!!!

*EDIT* oh something to consider...SATA II with it's NCQ might be something to wait and look for, yuo acn get a controller card, but your gnona be limite to 133mb/s for your whole PCI bus....not sure though if they're any cheap SATA II dual xeon boards out there though.

That an amazing over clock. I looked on Ebay for the proccessors. Couldn't find any.. Could anyone point me in the right direction..

ajrettke said:
that's just an above average OC for those, My sig is actualy a tad (50 mhz) below average I'd say!...so yeah he's probably running 6.2ghz combined!

actually, the D1 1.6ghz LV xeons routinely are doing 3-3.2ghz...each with 1.6v...

the C1 1.6ghz LV xeons usually did 2.6-3ghz...

I am looking on ebay right now. How about the 2.4 Ghz Xeons? or 2.66 Can those over clock ok. Don't see any 1.6 right now.

Thanks
Joe

You need to check out the sales at http://forums.2cpu.com/index.php? just go to the sales part of the forums. Anyone can get in, their some of the 1.6's going for sale there. Mine are running at 2.78ghz, must be C1's but still can't complain. My 2.4's only go to 3.1 but I just bought off the shelf.

Edit: Just looking at 2cpu the LV1.6's all look to be sold, sorry for the bad lead. :eek:

Last edited:
Thank I don't know what the heck I was searching for .. Doohhh..
Getting the chips and the mobo..

Ok.... I need some advice...

Right now I have a Koolance water cooled case..
6800 GT video card.
Athlon XP 3000+ 333 FSB

You guys think the xeons are going to be alot faster then my current setup? If so I will just scrap my current machine and rebuild with the water cooling.. Otherwise I will build a 2nd box for the xeons.. I think..
:)

Thank for all the help guys I am really getting siked :attn:

Last edited:
I am reading about the PC-DL board.. Did you guys have to do soldering to get your voltge settings where you need it? Which mods to your board did you have to perform.

Almost everyone just goes with the pin/wire mod...remove a pin from the proc and rop in U wires in the socket. To get more than 1.6v you need excellent soldering skills or you'll ruin the board.

Also, for gaming your current setup will be faster, but as a general workstation the xeons will be bliss

Ok .. Did you only do the connecting wire mod? to get 2.8? Running stable for video rendering per say :)
Thanks
Joe

2 U wires and 1 pin I removed (actualy pretty easy) for each socket/CPU, and yup 2.8 is solid stable, I'd suspect you'd get 2.64 for sure.

Back