• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

My Dream Plan.. Whatta Ya think? Xeon Combo

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
jozwikjp said:
Ok .. Did you only do the connecting wire mod? to get 2.8? Running stable for video rendering per say :)
Thanks
Joe
As dustybyrd already posted, the newer D1 LVs currently selling on eBay do 3 GHz + with the simple Vcore mod and MooseMod jumper configuration. Mine is Prime95/Cinebench 2003 stable at 3.1 GHz. It runs Windows stuff fine at 3.2 GHz, but will crash in Prime95 and Cinebench 2003. Some over at 2CPU claim up to 3.3 GHz stable and I haven't seen a single report of failure at 200 MHz FSB when the Vcore mod is done.

hehe Dave your tempting me to buy 2 new ones!

Hmmm, I think I'm gona, I can sell thee for little to no loss!

DaveB said:
Mine is Prime95/Cinebench 2003 stable at 3.1 GHz. It runs Windows stuff fine at 3.2 GHz, but will crash in Prime95 and Cinebench 2003.

after doing the pin mod for 1.6v, what cpu voltage does your pc-dl report in the bios? i know these and some ncch-dl's undervolt a tad...

i'm wondering about giving these or other xeons more than 1.6v on the ncch-dl/pc-dl...

i would think 1.65 would be fine with these chips, since the similar p4 northwoods have no problem with 1.65v

It reads 1.57V in MBM. This is the limit for the voltage controller chip on the PC-DL, it cannot decode a higher value. You can get more with a very tricky mod that has killed many PC-DLs. Here is a link.

Looking for the motherboard..
Not yet finding a real great mostly around 200 188.00 .. Or should I be patient and just check those sites you guys recommended.. till they get some more..

Motherboard
This other mothboard the NCCH-DL
Will that take the 1.6 or no?.. it about the same price.. Didn't know what the difference is. Looked like the Ncch-dl is will take more of the newer stuff in the future..

Ram..
Also would 4x256 ram better then 2x512? Or no gains there??

I think I am going to goin to have 2 seperate machines. Athlon for games surfing and the.. Xeons for Video rendering and my vast USE net binary getter :)

Case..
I was going to go with the koolance 603 case and the 300 h6 coolers (water cooling) then throw some steath fans in the back of the case to bring cool air in for HD's and motherboard etc.. When over clocking this board does the board itself need a cooler as well or will the fans be enough..

Thanks Guys
Joe

The NCCH-DL has no Vcore setting either but is setup to run Noconas out of the box.

Just get 2x512MB.

PC-DLs are excellent gamers. The A64 will be marginally better (I've had four A64 setups myself).

I just purchased the NCCH DL and 2 of these 1.6LV xeons. Mine won't do 200fsb (I think they are not the D1 stepping, - sspec SL6GV i think) but are currently running at 166*16. This is after I U-wired 3 places each socket for 1.6V (actual reading 1.58-1.59V)

I went this route because:
1. The motherboard is expensive, and I had no experience with xeons prior to this, so two processors at 2.64Ghz for $85 I couldn't pass up, and wouldn't take a huge hit if I screwed them up somehow.

2. When I have a little more cash I can dump these procs and buy two nocona's and run 64bit software. Only downside is no PCIe on the NCCH DL.

VID 1.300v to 1.600v Mod: Insulate C3 | U-wire B2-B3 | U-wire D2-D3

I removed the C3 pin, which when you flip the CPU over and place i like the pin layout is where the socket C29 is, the U wired B2-B3 and D2-D3

Albigger said:
This is after I U-wired 3 places each socket for 1.6V (actual reading 1.58-1.59V)

How did you get 1.6 with only socket U wires? I thought to get higher than 1.5 you need to insulate C3....this is with the 130nm 1.3v chips....

As an alternative I believe you can U-wire C2-C3 in addition to B2-B3 and D2-D3 for 1.6Volts (that's what I did).

Ok ordered the schtuff.. I will let you guys know how it goes when I get it together.

ORDER CONTENT:
2 x (100592) IBM Hitachi Deskstar 7K250 160GB Serial ATA 7200RPM Hard Drive w/8MB Buffer *** Free 2nd Day *** @ $95.00

1 x (316351) Arctic Silver 5 High-Density Silver Thermal Compound 12Gram/Tube Retail *** Free 2nd Day *** @ $17.99

2 x (361800) Koolance CPU-300-H06 CPU Cooler for Water Cooled Kits Retail ***Free 2nd Day*** @ $51.95

2 x (361821) Koolance CUP-S06 Xeon Adapter ***Free 2nd Day*** @ $19.95

1 x (240331) Asus PC-DL Deluxe Intel 82875P Xeon 533FSB DDR ATX Motherbaord w/Audio, Gigabit LAN, RAID/Serial ATA Retail ***Free 2nd Day*** @ $196.00

1 x (361791) Koolance PC2-650BU Mid Tower Case (Blue) Retail @ $142.99

2 x (372510) Logisys LT400BL 4-LED Blue 80mm Case Fan Retail ***Free 2nd Day*** @ $9.99

1 x (83705) Patriot PDC1G3200+XBLK 1GB Kit DDR400 PC3200 Dual Channel Memory Retail ***Free 2nd Day*** @ $239.99

1 x (324530) Asus V9520-XTD64 FX 5200 AGP 8X 64MB DDR Video Card w/TV-Out & DVI Retail ***Free 2nd Day*** @ $48.00

I just U-wired C2-C3 and did'nt remove the pin, gets the same volts without worrying about breaking the wrong pin.

Edit: you still have to U-wire B-2 to B-3 and D-2 to D-3.

skab said:
I just U-wired C2-C3 and did'nt remove the pin, gets the same volts without worrying about breaking the wrong pin.

Edit: you still have to U-wire B-2 to B-3 and D-2 to D-3.

Soo...all I gotta due it

B-2 to B-3, and D-2 to D-3,C2-C3 on each socket... And that will get my 1.6V?

Which I can clock stably too... 2.8 .. 2.6? What multiplier settings should I use.. Do I need to mess with any ram settings. I patriot ram cause that was suggested.

Thanks again for help I will post pic when completed..

jozwikjp said:
Soo...all I gotta due it

B-2 to B-3, and D-2 to D-3,C2-C3 on each socket... And that will get my 1.6V?

Yes (or close to 1.6V with a slight undervolt).

Which I can clock stably too... 2.8 .. 2.6? What multiplier settings should I use.. Do I need to mess with any ram settings. I patriot ram cause that was suggested.

Thanks again for help I will post pic when completed..

What you can clock to with stability depends on the system, but most D1 chips people say will go to 2.8-3.0 or above. I would think 2.6 for sure.

The ram just mess with the timings to get the best you can (I would overclock the bus/cpu first - leaving RAM on auto timings, then find the best timings for the memory)

Oh also when you first boot up, boot at 133 or so and set the multiplier...I'd set it at 12 or 13 initialy, then shutoff, move the jumper to t the 200FSB and boot up, go into windows and do your stability testing.

A personal rule I have is to never to a window install OC'ed unless you've had the machine OC'ed and are sure it's 100% stable.

ajrettke said:
Oh also when you first boot up, boot at 133 or so and set the multiplier...I'd set it at 12 or 13 initialy, then shutoff, move the jumper to t the 200FSB and boot up, go into windows and do your stability testing.

A personal rule I have is to never to a window install OC'ed unless you've had the machine OC'ed and are sure it's 100% stable.

Ok I set the Multipliers in the bios right?? But the FSB is a jumper on the board? Is all this in the book that comes with the board? I hope..

It's all in the book which you should get with the board unless your getting a refurb'd board. Then you might or might not get the book. :cry:
You should realy go the PC-DL users site http://www.datamine.tk/forum/default.asp
will show you what pins and give you other hints and tips.
Your going to need Clockgen, and probably MBM5 to get the most out of your xeon's. You boot up at stock, load windows, then restart and change your multiplyer to a lower setting, then try the moosemod and see if it'll boot and run. Sounds like if the moosemod works to boot it'll run windows also. If it won't boot :( and run with the moose mod then you need to do p-4 northwood's trick described here: http://www.datamine.tk/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=113&PN=1 . You'll be pretty lucky to get 250fsb :eek: but you should be able to get upwards of 180fsb :D . You realy should look at that site.

disk11 said:
Sounds like a decent plan but a few notes:
1. The RAM that comes in that combo is most likely some value ram that won't overclock well. My reccomendation is to find a couple ~$200 1 GB kit that use Samsung TCCD chips. Its the only stuff on the market right now that does 2-2-2-x @ ddr400.

2. With all that RAM, there will be tremendous stress on the memory controller, so overclocking wouldn't be as high if you use 512MB or 1 GB. So you may want to consider some faster CPUs to go with the JNCS RAM.

2cpu.com has a massive thread about this board here: http://forums.2cpu.com/showthread.php?s=&threadid=52272. I'm sure they'd be glad to help you further.

really....

bh-5 must have been a myth or something you will get more than ddr400 at those timings, those are stock timings and i assure you there have been plenty of sticks that has 2-2-2-X timings

Back