• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

My Dream Plan.. Whatta Ya think? Xeon Combo

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
ryanmartini said:
really....

bh-5 must have been a myth or something you will get more than ddr400 at those timings, those are stock timings and i assure you there have been plenty of sticks that has 2-2-2-X timings

that bh-5 does 2,2,2,x is true...but only if you have enough voltage to give them...

and the xeon mobos don't have enough VDIMM options to allow bh5 to run on those tight timings...

the pc-dl gives only 2.5v, and no options, without modding the board

the ncch-dl can give up to 2.8v (but it's more like 2.75v due to undervolting)...

so, for xeon boards, tccd ram is the way to go

Ok I have got the majority of my parts now Just waiting on the case. and PSU..

Question.. I know once I get everything installed its going to be cramped and hard to change these socket mods.. I was going to Do the wire cpu sockets trick to get the v 1.45 or 1.55 or 1.6??. Before I put it all together.. Is it a problem if I up the voltage and do not up the rest? as in just leave it at 1.6ghz.. then once I get windows installed then start overclocking..

The reason I was just gonna go to 1.45v is cause thats what the guy reccomended on the auction.
http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&rd=1&item=6732526957&ssPageName=STRK:MEWN:IT

I just noticed the 2 chips have very different numbers..
1600DP/512/400/1.30v
SL6XK COSTA RICA
3348A619-0379 on the bottom of one of them

1600DP/512/400/1.30v
SL6GV COSTA RICA
3228A274-0200

Thanks for the help guys.

jozwikjp said:

Question.. I know once I get everything installed its going to be cramped and hard to change these socket mods.. I was going to Do the wire cpu sockets trick to get the v 1.45 or 1.55 or 1.6??. Before I put it all together.. Is it a problem if I up the voltage and do not up the rest? as in just leave it at 1.6ghz.. then once I get windows installed then start overclocking..

The reason I was just gonna go to 1.45v is cause thats what the guy reccomended on the auction.
http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&rd=1&item=6732526957&ssPageName=STRK:MEWN:IT

also not sure if this tells you guys anything but its says
1600DP/512/1.30v
SL6XK COSTA RICA

if you want to try for more than 2.66ghz, then definitely do 1.6v (it will actually be 1.57v probably) the first time...it won't hurt the chips if you have decent cooling...even stock cooling if the temps of the cpu's stay below 60C...

with 1.6v, you will most likely be able to at least run 3ghz...

even if you run them at 1.6ghz initially with 1.6v, that won't hurt anything

I'm on my dual 1.6LV Xeon rig right now. Cruising at 3.1 GHz, both CPUs are at 30C and the VRM temp is only 33C. Temps are not a problem on these setups. I'm using the regular cheap Intel wind tunnel HS/Fans with the Vcore at 1.57V. Do the 1.6V mod and you won't regret it with those D1 stepping LVs.

Cool thanks I will do it first then and not suffer so much later.. :)

SL6XK COSTA RICA
SL6GV COSTA RICA

Does it matter that these aren't the same??

Also.. I really Apprecciate that you guys are nicely avaible 24 hours a day :)

jozwikjp said:

I just noticed the 2 chips have very different numbers..
1600DP/512/400/1.30v
SL6XK COSTA RICA

1600DP/512/400/1.30v
SL6GV COSTA RICA
3228A274-0200

Ahhh - Hope you are luckier than me. The SL6XK proc is a D1 stepping, which should do 3ghz+ like people have been saying.

The other, the SL6GV, is a C1 stepping (see
here ) and I have two of those stepping cpu's that won't run 200fsb (even at lower multipliers). Highest I have got mine as a pair are 166 x 16 (although previous owner claimed 186 x 16).

Still depends on luck, just though I'd let you know.

jozwikjp said:
Cool thanks I will do it first then and not suffer so much later.. :)

SL6XK COSTA RICA
SL6GV COSTA RICA

Does it matter that these aren't the same??

Also.. I really Apprecciate that you guys are nicely avaible 24 hours a day :)

now, that might be a problem...they may or may not run together on the ncch-dl...pik4chu got a D1 and an M0 xeon from me and they didn't run together on the ncch-dl...

the SL6GV is a C1 stepping, while the other is D1...when you bought the pair, didn't he specify in the auction that you were getting two SL6XK's?

at the very least the C1 stepping will probably not overclock as well...

Yea he said as you can see in the auction they are both XK's I emailed him about it .. Maybe he will exchange.. He selling a ton of them on ebay..

update.. I just talked to him . He made a mistake and is sending the other XK..
Said he would refund me the shipping back to him for the other one but I said don't worry about. it.. Oh well not I have plenty of time to fix up the mobo.. and install pretty lights while i wait..
:santa:

Last edited:
jozwikjp said:
Yea he said as you can see in the auction they are both XK's I emailed him about it .. Maybe he will exchange.. He selling a ton of them on ebay..

you should definitely get the SL6XK's, since he said so in the auction...the only way i wouldn't demand an exchange is if both cpu's can work fine together in SMP, and they both o/c to at least 3ghz with 1.6v...since that's what two SL6XK's would most likely do...

Ok I got the matching CPU and everything all put together .... Except I havent got my correct power supply yet.. .. So i thought I would try plugging my trupower 430 in and see if that works.. I got a 4 to 8pin adapter for the 2nd power source on the board and on the book it said for 20 pin plugs plug all the way to the left... So.. I flipped the switch and the hard drive power up 2 green power light the mobo but that was about it.. No video no double beep no beeps.. (Probably cause I didn't have the speaker plugged in.. Is this a sign from above that I should wait for the power supply with more power and 24 pin plug??

jozwikjp said:
Ok I got the matching CPU and everything all put together .... Except I havent got my correct power supply yet.. .. So i thought I would try plugging my trupower 430 in and see if that works.. I got a 4 to 8pin adapter for the 2nd power source on the board and on the book it said for 20 pin plugs plug all the way to the left... So.. I flipped the switch and the hard drive power up 2 green power light the mobo but that was about it.. No video no double beep no beeps.. (Probably cause I didn't have the speaker plugged in.. Is this a sign from above that I should wait for the power supply with more power and 24 pin plug??

yep, that's probably not enough juice...this board says that you need 28A on the 12v rail and a 600 watt psu...(a little of a stretch...but still you need more than an antec tp430)...

maybe try just one cpu and see if everything is ok...that should work with the antec tp430

jozwikjp said:
Ok thanks I will be patient this is the psu I ordered..
http://www.xoxide.com/ocz-modstream-520w-modular-psu.html

only 520 Watt do you think I should send back for 600 watt??

that might be fine...but i know this one will be better than fine and costs less as well:

http://www.excaliberpc.com/product_info.php?cPath=208_612&products_id=2267

(i use this one)...

here are some reviews i did of it:

http://www.ocforums.com/showthread.php?t=357775&highlight=fsp550-60plg

http://forums.2cpu.com/showthread.php?s=&threadid=60435&highlight=fsp55060plg

but, if you must order from that same store, then i would definitely get this one:

http://www.xoxide.com/pc-power-cooling-turbo-cool-pci-e-510w-psu.html

i've had that one too and it was amazingly good on this same system in my sig...

I picked up this AMS Mercury 460W EPS12V PS for $46 at a local Micro Center store. I can't hear it and it runs my dual Xeon rig quite nicely. It's quite heavy which is a good sign for power supplies. The split +12V rails provide 33A max which is good enough for most all PC-DL or NCCH-DL dual Xeon workstation setups. Here's what the BIOS reads the rails at:

+3.3V = 3.31V
+5V = +5.13V
+12V = +12.20V

Ok I am going to wait till wensday Should have the other junk in by then.. Thanks for the help guys..
I will post pretty picks of my new PC when complete.. :)

Hey Guys.. I got it all put together with the good power supply and everything is aok just installing service packs etc. a and plugging in the final wires etc.. Then I will begin jamming the overclocking love of the 1.6's :) I will post pics and love for all when I get some more done Thank Again!
Joe

Ok I installed clock gen program and pushed it up to 2.47ghz seem to be running stable at 33celcius But when I go into CPU-z it says the voltage in only at 1.266voltz.. Does this mean my 3 wire mods did not work?? I havent yet stress tested yet..

I did just like in this picture.. b-2 b-3 , d-2 d-3, c-2 c-3 any thoughts..

I assume this picture is looking down at the socket..

attachment.php

wow.. that looks like the complete opposite of what I did..
:bang head Is the picture I got like the imaginary underneath of the socket that you can't see??

jozwikjp said:
Ok I installed clock gen program and pushed it up to 2.47ghz seem to be running stable at 33celcius But when I go into CPU-z it says the voltage in only at 1.266voltz.. Does this mean my 3 wire mods did not work?? I havent yet stress tested yet..

I did just like in this picture.. b-2 b-3 , d-2 d-3, c-2 c-3 any thoughts..

I assume this picture is looking down at the socket..

attachment.php

what you said is correct, connect b2,3; c2,3 and d2,3...with 8-9mm thin speaker wire...that pic you posted is correct and is the socket view

cpu-z does not report the correct voltages for the ncch-dl, but it does with the pc-dl....what is your cpu voltage in the bios?

Last edited:
Back