• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

ABIT Kt7a..... give me a headache!

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

!!tio!!

1, Do you have problem when you first bought the board

2, What problem

3, Solve it?

4, What BIOS are you using

5, What OS

6, What configuration

Thanks for answering

me personally ive owned 2 of each[raid/non raid] all of which have given me lots of problems,
i was having lockups galore and so i had the VERY EXPENSIVE task of trying to figure it out. so i started with buying a new AGP,then HDD,power supply,RAM,removing the pci cards,flash the bios,FAQ's only give ideas but i never did fix it.
so i returned it and got a replacement,same thing.
bought a non raid ,same probs.my whole system was replaced piece by piece! i swapped parts from friends pc's no success.
then i was building a system for my friend and i wanted to try the MSI limited ed.... and they were out of stock so i had to try another [thinking it was just me that has bad luck!] and off i went again and the same crap over again ,had to take it back and they gave me 2 others b4 i had to scream at them as they had the msi instock but listed it as "pre order" and were too lazy to update their website! so i eventually got the msi and guess what? no more lock ups and no more stabilty problems.
even though i use IWILL myself ,i still think the MSI is a great motherboard!

1. Yes it was a big headache the first couple of weeks

2. The 686B bug that caused data corruption & icons looking distorted, random lockups due to a voltage variance to what was set in the BIOS(actually a plus if you overclock 'cause you can get more juice) I got a +.1V in all my voltages so I was running the cpu with too much juice at the start & a buggy BIOS that really didnt function right.

3. Yes I solved it by reading the FAQ at viahardware & some patches that they have on their site.

4. Latest official 3R BIOS dated 07/13/2001 compiled in 07/05/2001 which you can get ftp://ftp.abit.com.tw/pub/bios/kt7/kt73r.exe>]here[/URL] .

5. Win98SE

6. Look at my sig for my configuration. I do not use the RAID. I also built an identical system for a buddy that runs W2KPRO & he uses RAID.

Both systems are stable except that the W2kPRO system is not O/C.

DONT BE RUDE.You should apologize to Placid. All you need to do is be patient & work systematicaly to fix your problems. Make records of your failures & you'll be able to fix them once you narrow it down to a few variables. The link that Placid gave you was one of the key sites that helped me with this Mobo. The last PM that you sent was lost so I couldnt reply. Post all your questions here for a plethora of suggestions & listen to what people dont tell you also. It could be the answer.

Last edited:
I really like my KT7A-Raid, with WW-Bios, I think its a great mobo, I have had a few minor problems but am reluctant to discuss these on this thread or offer advice when using this motherboard incase my offers of help and suggestions are treated in the same manner as which Placid's were.

I've been running a kt7a board for about 2 months and love it.

Had a little problem with it accepting the agp card the begining. But after a flash to 3r I've had no problems. It's solid, never crashes.

but I've carefully picked the parts that are in it as well.

etomac said:
SHUT UP N DUN GIVE ME FAQ!!!

I wan live experience!!

You need to tone it down please.

I've gotten a few interesting comments concerning this post, and others you've made.

This kind of attitude will not be tolerated here at overclockers.com. We have a code of ethics we live by here, and this type of posting is unacceptable.

Please take a moment to apologize to Placid for your remarks.

If our forum policies and code of conduct and ethics doesn't agree wit[H] you, per[H]aps you'd be [H]appier somew[H]ere else.

Please apologize, now.

Mr B,
Forums Moderator.

Last edited:
etomac said:
SHUT UP N DUN GIVE ME FAQ!!!

I wan live experience!!

Where do you think FAQ's come from? They aren't handed down from God, that's for sure.

Check this out.

Paul's KT7 FAQ is an excellent resource..... I'm not trying to undercut it, just supplement it, for a larger range of equipment.

SickBoy

When I got my KT7A, I had all kind of problems. A couple of
clean OS boots, new p/s, better ram and finally the 3R bios.
But it was all worth it in the end. But do me a favor and listen
to Sickboy, the link he gave you is far more informative then
Abit's Tech. support. Look how many post some of these guys
have here, they know what their talking about. Trust Me!

Last edited:
The only problem I ever had was the SB live 5.1 bug that was easly fixed with the new bio's/4 in 1 driver update. Since then I haven't had any major problems. btw, I'm running win98. My systems specs are KT7A mobo w/ ZT bio's, 1.2 fsb133 TB cpu, OCZ Gladiator w/92mm fan mod, 128mb corsair mem, Geforce2mx twin veiw 32mb, SB live 5.1, USR 56k v.90 ISA modem. :)

i got one of the first boards available.it had and has minor issues,the bios sucked,along with the 686 bug.i was very patient and tweaked nonstop for over a month.there was somthing screwy about the voltage but i beleive it was at least partly the bios.i tried all of them at one time or another and even one not for the board which worked as well as any other.i finally ended up with the 3r that is the most stable but the idle temp is higher than most others while load temps are the same leading me to beleive that the early bios's failures were because of attemts at clock throttling.early attemts at oc'ing caused data corruption resulting in many fresh installs untill i got a cd-rw which i also had to return because of some type of internal failure.my fans still run sometimes after shutdown but otherwise no problems in months now.

etomac said:
SORRY!

n y u use ZT.....3N is better i thought?

Thamk you, etomac.

I've been watching this thread for two reasons...

The other is I've had an interest in getting one of these boards, and building an AMD rig. So I've got a bit of curiosity on how it turns out for you....

Hope you get it straightened away. Good luck.

Mr B

I have had my KT7A-Raid for quite a while now and have not had any problems with it. I am using the 3r BIOS and it allowed me to get 150MHZ fsb out of it, the highest I could get with the other ones was about 140 or so. The FAQ's at VIAHARDWARE.COM are the best way to learn about this board and you should really check them out. Don't give up on this board, out of all of the non DDR boards, I think this is the best OCing board there is.

Fiz

After learning the quirks of this board with the help of Paul's FAQ my rig was totally stable. The shift to 3R BIOS was really to be able to overclock higher than 1.2GHz. When I said "buggy BIOS that really didnt function right" what I meant was it didnt work over 1.2GHz as that was the highest supported speed. ABIT MAKES GREAT MOTHERBOARDS let me say that again ABIT MAKES GREAT MOTHERBOARDS. Your instabilities are probably your fault. After reading your posts in other threads tells me that you have no patience & you don't have all the facts straight. Learn a little humility & open your mind. Be cool.

etomac said:
SORRY!

n y u use ZT.....3N is better i thought?

3N is for mobo's with 1.3 revision but my board is only 1.1 revision so only 3R would work. I'm actualy holding off on updating the bio's till newer ones come out cuase I haven't had any problems so far with ZT.

The KT7A was a is my first VIA chipset mobo and first Athlon platform that I've used. I've always been an Intel user before. I've had the KT7A for about 3 months now and love it. At first I ran into many problems, and was about to give up. But I've since then have ironed them all out. I think the 3R BIOS was the biggest fix to all my problems.

Athlon 1.2 Ghz @ 1.38 (145x9.5)

Back