• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

very very bad video card problem.

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

rewind_rob

I have a XFX geforce 6800 GT. the problem started when i installed beta drivers. i began to get all of these odd shapes and video corruption all over my screen during games. its very very bad with call of duty. its playable but just makes me want to do this :bang head

well i tried to install the old drivers and it didnt fix it. so i reinstalled windows xp. updated everything and installed the origional drivers and it worked for about 2 days. then i wake up today and everything is the way it was before. this is making me very angry and i need some help.

i had the video card oveclocked. it was at 400 core 1150 memory. as soon as the probems began i took it off. this ran in its overclocked state solid since the day i had it (a few months now) i have an artic cooler on it with a 120mm fan pointed directly at it. so i dont believe heat is the issue.

can anyone help me? is did the card go?

Does the silencer have good, even contact w/ the card? over/under tightening can warp the card, causing problems and possibly damaging the card.

Hmm... might also be that the thermal material beneath the heatspreader has melted some, causing a poor heat transfer. Some lower-end brands have this problem sometimes, simply due to poor application. Don't rule out other things yet.

It sounds like a contact or heat problem. Reapply the Silencer? Run 3DM'03 Proxycon test or just fire up Doom3 and touch your finger to the back of the card. If it burns just by putting your finger on it for less than a second, it's a heat problem.

Other than that... I dunno. Keep us posted.

EDIT: BTW, even though you have a fan blowing on it, wont help if you have poor contact w/ the heatspreader and even less-so if the heatspreader has poor thermal contact w/ the core.

the temps say 30 ambient temp. 51 core temp. it starts the second i start to play call of duty. i will turn off the pc and take off the heatspreader. i didnt test this yet. i will report back with my findings. thank you for your replay. please everyone else feel free to put in your two cents

well i took off the cooler. i took all of the old heat sink stuff off the heatsink and card. i then reapplyed paste and made sure it was making solid contact. when i loaded COD it still did it. not nearly as bad but it was still there. i dont know wtf is going on and this is very upsetting

i ran the half life 2 video stress test 3 times back to back. it went flawless. i averaged 100.3 frames per second every single time.. grrr i dont know wtf is going on. it seems to hate call of duty. i am going to update it and i will yet again report back.

Listen, don't take off your spreader just yet. If you REALLY want to void your warranty, then do it, just not yet. Rule out some other things first.

Ok, if it didn't do it as bad once you reapplied the paste and the silencer, maybe it's how you're tightening the silencer?

One turn each screw, in clock, or counter clockwise direction. Don't make it too tight.

Also, what thermal "paste" are you using? If it's Arctic Silver, make sure none of it gets on the rest of the card. If it does, it could possibly cause problems like this.

Besides the heatspreader issue, this is all I can think of. RMA the card as a last resort before removing the heatspreader (unless your warranty is already ended or void).

Keep us posted.

i figured out what the problem was. somehow. the size on the memory architecture was changed to 256. i had it at the stock 64mb. i changed it to defult and it all works perfect once again. thank you to everyone who tried to help me.

rewind_rob said:
i figured out what the problem was. somehow. the size on the memory architecture was changed to 256. i had it at the stock 64mb. i changed it to defult and it all works perfect once again. thank you to everyone who tried to help me.

What on earth does that mean?

yeah that was it aperature. if you take a look at the time it was posted. very early. picture a very angry upset guy trying to fix a problem like this. only to find out that it was a dumb bios setting. i was quite flustured and missed 2 clan matches due to it. i hate posts that go with out an answer so after i finally got it i forced myself to post that i got it fixed. haha

I had a problem like this originally with my 6800U and COD. It would actually go to the start screen and then not show anything but the options and no graphice. I had to go clean all the drivers out with driver cleaner 3 and then reinstall them before it worked. I think there were some leftover files from a beta driver set. It might be worth a try. Maybe even use DC3 to clean and reinstall all chipset drivers as well.

Back