• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

setting up steam server.

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

wizard james

..well ..if u know.steam is halflife... and i am trying to set the server up..works all good..but the thing is..it sees my routers ip and not my extruenal ip..how do i make it see the outside ip so i can run the server??

is there ways to do this?..

..did know if i odda post this in games or here.. but its here cause its more on networking

its not so much making the dedicated server see the outside ip, but its more important to have the right ports forwarded. By default halflife uses port 27015.
Route this port to the computer that is hosting the server and then all the people need to do is type in your external ip to connect to and it should work.

Also make sure the dedicated server is not setup as a LAN server. I forget how to change this, but its probably somewhere in the settings.

thank you..it worked..now all i gota do is get a t1 line ..and wait for my hdd to come in the mail for a linux serevr i am setting up

If you're using dynamic ip address you can setup dynamic dns at dyndns.com. I run CS servers, ventrilo, and other services and it helps so that when the ip changes, you don't have to give it out again.

Back