• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Is there a way out of this?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Voodoo Rufus

Powder Junkie Moderator
I just installed a fresh copy of win2k onto my new raptor, but kept my old Seagate in for it held all of my drivers. It also have win2k on it.

The OS boots off of the Raptor ONLY when the Seagate is inside. Without it, I get a boot disk failure, as if the Raptor doesn't know it can boot on its own.

How do I change it so the Raptor is the sole boot device for the OS? I'd hate to spend another half day reinstalling windows and updates and service packs for a stupid error.

Win2K during the install on the Raptor didn't install the serial drivers needed for the raptor on boot. Or if did installed them in the wrong spot. Thats the issue that your having, is its not finding the drivers I bet.

Have you toyed with boot configuration in BIOS?

I have found this to be a bit tricky, and unexpected configurations have allowed me to get my RAID cards playing nice together.

In bios I get the option to organize the SCSI stuff, as in SATA/SCSI or SCSI/SATA boot order, then I select SCSI as one of the boot options.

Neither worked.

It's as though I'm dual booting OSes but my Seagate IDE drive is the primary drive.

Perhaps there's an .ini file which I need to change?

I think you are right. The boot.ini file holds partition / drive locations of your OS's. You may need to edit it.

Z

I'm going to try using the recovery manager on the win2k disk later today. I'll post again once I've tried it. It supposedly has a couple utilities that may help.

I searched all my hard drives and they do not contain a boot.ini file. I do have hidden files shown as well.

Try this:

Right click on My Computer. One of the tabs (it's the Advanced tab in WinXP, can't remember in 2000) contains Startup/Recovery options. There is an option there for Default Operating System. It's a pull-down menu; see if there is a second option there. I kind of doubt there is, because if it's working right you should have two startup options when you turn the computer on, but it's worth a shot.

Also, if you don't have a boot.ini file, then something is wrong. Boot.ini is in the root of the default partition, which should be your C: drive when Windows is running. Just go Start - Run - c:\boot.ini and that should bring it up. It will probably be marked read-only, so you'll have to adjust that before editing it.

There are two of these: "Microsoft Windows 2000 Professional" /fastdetect

Plus, the "Display list of OS's for 30 seconds" is checked.

I used the recovery console to try using the fixboot and fixmbr commands, and they did complete successfully, but the drive will still not boot on its own without the other drive present.

Clearly win2k sees your IDE drive as a primary (we'll call it C), and the SATA drive as a second drive (D). boot info, partition info, etc....is on whatever the first drive win2k install sees....thus your problem.

If it were me, rather than fool with it anymore I'd take the IDE drive out, clean install win2k on the raptor, and be done with it. Create two partitions on the drive and copy the drivers over to it, if you want.

Back