• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Should i Go with Koolance Exos or .....

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

jokerx225

Hey guys im new in here and im building a new computer and im planing to Water cool it and it will be my first time.. Im getting the Lian Li V2000 and imma have alot of space and i wanted to get the water cooling parts from DangerDen but someone told me im not goin to get enough cooling as if i got the Exos which will keep my temps very low. Im getting the Fx-53 Chip so i need somthing to keep it cool and im going with the dual 6800 Gt's PCI EXPRESS SLI and i want to Water cool All three of those parts whats the best?

uh... whoever told you that the koolance will cool better than dangerden needs to either read more, or is an imbecile. Danger den produces some of the better retail blocks you can buy right now. the only downside i can see is that they are fairly expensive compared so some cheaper ones like the dtek spiral that costs half the price. Cathar apparently makes the best water blocks out there, so you might go do a search on his site to see about grabbing one if you want performence.

A lot of people go for a Dtek procore combination with eheim or swiftech pump with rbx/whitewater but this will only be sufficiant to cool that fx ha ha.
if your looking to water cool two 6800's too you will need a much bigger heatercore to remove all that heat. or, move more air through your heatercore which means more noise. the point of water cooling is to minimize this after all =\

Go read the water cooling forum. it has a lot of information from people in very similar situations as you. Also, if you are serious about water cooling, be prepared to mod your case to accomodate all the parts. a heatercore that is capable of removing all the load yo uwant to put on it will be pretty big and isnt likely to fid on any of your fan mounts.
do not buy an exos though. you will regret it a lot.

Valk said:
uh... whoever told you that the koolance will cool better than dangerden needs to either read more, or is an imbecile.
Im going to echo that as well. Most high-end aircooling peforms better than a Koolance. I know most Thermalrights do.

A much cheaper alternative would be to buy an XP-90 or 120 and then buy 2 of Arctic Cooling's VGA nV5 Silencers.

A word of advice. I wouldnt listen to this friend of yours anymore when it comes to PCs ;) Also:

WELCOME TO THE FORUMS!!!
...and the sickness :eek:

yo...im this friend he was talkin about. Let me explain my reasoning. Water cooling is inherently limited by the ambient temperature of whatever room your in. Its a fact that dangerden makes kickass stuff but its expensive and a royal pain in the ***. My koolance exos AL wich i paid $160 on ebay for, keeps my 2.8 pressy (@3.7ghz) and my BFG 6800 gt with a 1.5 vcore running at 440mhz by 1350mhz at a nice 32 degrees (idle). Oh and if you think aircooling is better than your an imbecile, I had an xp-120 with a vantec tornado 120mm installed and my cpu idled at 58 degrees...by the way 32 is lower than 58...

oh and by the way the biggest radiator ive ever seen, the black ice III still only dissapates 500 watts. Wich happens to be the same as the exos.The newest koolance cases dissapate 700 watts and who knows who well the exos 2 will do.

Im glad your Exos has peformed so well however....

cell_491 said:
Oh and if you think aircooling is better than your an imbecile, I had an xp-120 with a vantec tornado 120mm installed and my cpu idled at 58 degrees...by the way 32 is lower than 58...
I am sorry but you have your facts jumbled on a number of level. I also dont appreciate you belittling me.

First off my friend, Vantec doesnt make a 120mm Tornado. If you are refering to a Sunan varient (since they make the "tornado") I can understand. Vantec's Tornado line stops a 92mm. The only fan that would be even slightly close to that would be Delta's GHE.

Second I know several people who have an XP120 and their load temps are lower than 58. I know that batboy would back me up on this. In addition he wasnt using a Delta either.

I understand the size of the Koolence but the galvanizing effect of aluminum tends to damage pumps and blocks allike. I know the water-cooling guys would cringe at the fact of somone using an aluminum radiator.

I can see your reasoning for getting a Koolance purely based on simplicity. However honestally a Thermalright offers such close to water-cooling levels that it makes things much lighter and simpler. Most people dont get into water-cooling because of the possible risks associated with it. For somone starting off I really dont think it would be a good idea.

Plus TR is quite good in their own right and will do quite nicely.

Also:

WELCOME TO THE FORUMS!!!
..and please fold for team 32 :beer:

Last edited:
A) kits suck
B) kits suck
C) kits suck
D) kits are expencive
E) kits suck

so the point is. do it the cheaper. more entertaining and more efficent way.

its prettty simple.

choose your layout.. just cooling the cpu? etc...

then buy your water blocks (or make them if you havea cnc mill!)

custom blocks tend to be better made and have much higher performance,

then buy your pump. now a smart man would look for a pump in common use thats easly avalable second hand. in the uk a central heating pump is a hands down winner. capable of pumping out GIGANTIC amounts of water as its deisigned for basicly watercooling a house.

then you need your tubing .. 1/4 or 1/2 and some hose clips

and last the most important bit, your heatercore. differnt to a computer rad beacuse its used in Cars, these tend to be better suited to water cooling. and can also be salavaged out of old cars for free!

ive got a nice simple loop that cost just under 100£ and performs so well it runs passivly. with an external rad.

40c passive over 26c ambient with not even pump noise is nice. with the pumps and fans on temps are pushed down to nearly 8c over ambient (34c)

anyway stop arguing over silly kits. :p

only one thing to be aware of is metals! like sentinal said .. some metals don't play nicely with each other. but tbh .. my rad is aluminum. its just has extremly dencly packed fins and is rather large (2x 120mm and thick)

though if you use a mostly ALU system or mostly copper system you won't see much corosion aslong as you use proper ethelyne glycol (blue toxic stuff that garages will sell if you bring your own container) used as a antifreeze and corosion inhibter.

you will never stop your alu or copper from rusting though!. it will only slow down the effect. but the rust forms its own protective layer against further rust so its not so bad.

sorry i got you and valk mixed up i thought you were the one who called me an imbecile...i apologize. And your right it wasnt a tornado it was a faky but it did have counter rotating fans that spun at 5700rpms and supposedly pumped out 118cfm. Very loud though...wich is another reason i love the exos. My point here is this the koolance exos is more than capable of handling 2 6800's and an fx-51, his overclockability may be limited but thats why i also suggested he either wait for the exos 2 or get the new pc3-700 wich both should dissapate around 700 watts wich will give him plenty of headroom. As far as the aluminum radiators corroding, dont use copper core water blocks, that should almost eliminate the corrosion. One of the reasons that the exos cools so well is its aluminum radiator but it is sort of proprietary because the only company that makes good non-copper blocks is...koolance. The newest koolance blocks are only $50 and they have a maximum cooling potential of 300 watts...thats as good if not better than dangerdens blocks especially considering i dont know of a cpu that produces 300 watts my ridiculously hot prescott produces about 200 so that should be sufficient for just about anything.

Tis bothers me on many levels. Oiginal poster goes looking for more answers and an educated expreinced evaluation of "friends" suggestions. "Friend" then pounces in and starts up with a very well laid out explination of his suggestion, but backs it up with words only..a few screenies would be in order. As far as what other members besides the "exos Duo" have said and suggested is exactly what original poster asked for. This has the makings of a flame war and all members here should refrain from doing this. jokerx225, you have been given very very sound advice from some exceedingly experienced players here on the overclockers forums. These stars under our names mean more than just a popularity count. You were given sound advice that has been well established in the water cooling community. I do not blame you in any way for asking for second opinions. In fact we welcome both of you guys to the OC forums...WLECOME!

cell_491
oh and by the way the biggest radiator ive ever seen, the black ice III
if this is the largest you have ever seen then you have seen many. I run a passive radiator that is several times larger than this. Some members here have been known to even run A-coils from central air units. Your statement was very narrow in nature so I won't comment on this much further.

Its a fact that dangerden makes kickass stuff but its expensive and a royal pain in the ***.
whos arse are we speaking about here? I have used a variaty of water blocks in my time and have milled several of my own designs. I currently use the DD RBX block and find it very easy to work with (my designs were a lot more of a pain I assure you;)) My designs also were many times more expensive than the DD products and unfortunatly didn't perform as well as the DD products either.

We appreciate your input on the matter and I would probably have stepped into this conversation with a bit more trepidation than you appeared to have. However we are not a pack of wild wolfs waiting to pounce, you fortuitously came off the wrong way. Sorry about that :(

cell_491 said:
sorry i got you and valk mixed up i thought you were the one who called me an imbecile...i apologize. And your right it wasnt a tornado it was a faky but it did have counter rotating fans that spun at 5700rpms and supposedly pumped out 118cfm. Very loud though...wich is another reason i love the exos. My point here is this the koolance exos is more than capable of handling 2 6800's and an fx-51, his overclockability may be limited but thats why i also suggested he either wait for the exos 2 or get the new pc3-700 wich both should dissapate around 700 watts wich will give him plenty of headroom. As far as the aluminum radiators corroding, dont use copper core water blocks, that should almost eliminate the corrosion. One of the reasons that the exos cools so well is its aluminum radiator but it is sort of proprietary because the only company that makes good non-copper blocks is...koolance. The newest koolance blocks are only $50 and they have a maximum cooling potential of 300 watts...thats as good if not better than dangerdens blocks especially considering i dont know of a cpu that produces 300 watts my ridiculously hot prescott produces about 200 so that should be sufficient for just about anything.

Not a problem at all. Hence why I tried not to escalate it. I knew it was just a simple mistake:D No harm done:D

Still man. I know your experience with air-cooling has been reletivly bad, I would reccomend it for him over the coolence. With a VGA silencer the temps of a 6800 really come down to reasonable levels so that shouldnt be a factor.

For now I think he will be better off with cheaper / lighter cooling. The koolence is a great idea but overall for somone starting off its much too much of a responsibility

As for the coolence blocks I could sware they are gold-plated copper but Im probably wrong :D

Hope we havent scared ya off:D I can tell that you do in fact have a great deal of knowledge on these sorta stuff and we would love for you to be a regular member here.

-Sen

_____

BTW the largest radiator ive seen is an '84 Caddie that somone used for a server. It was litererly 4x4 feet.

cooling is all about location location location.

air cooling can be done well too . my air cooled barton 2500 (STOCK FANS) is currently under full load at 29c from a case temp of 26c and an ambient of .. 26c... and its silent.

simple reason? cm stacker case...

*stabs sentinal* gold ?! gold!? is a gimic :p .. alu then copper then silver!

i belive jfettig made some silver blocks a while back...

Enyo said:
*stabs sentinal* gold ?! gold!? is a gimic :p .. alu then copper then silver!
Well DUH lol.....thats like that gimick that TT had awhile back. A friggin waterblock with built in LEDs to make the water glow...:D

cell_491 said:
true air cooling can be effective if done right...but its LOUD and just not as cool
Oh come on..... lol. Nothing is cooler than huge *** turbins. I'd never use watercooling if i could avoid it :D

Back