• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

More Novice advice

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

rhiridflaidd

Registered
I'm building a PC for gaming. I've a bizzare setup because I've built the PC into a big desk\cupboard, so it has to be watercooled - It's pointless circulating hot air in an enclosed space (but there is sufficient airflow to keep the memory and hard disks cool - I've checked with a nice asustek fan-controller\temperature gauge.

Anyway, to return to the point, currenly a measly AMD2000+ with a geforce 3 Ti200 Lives inside -and I want something much better.

I mainly play Unreal tournament 2004, which puts a lot of strain on the cpu\memory - and many players get GPF's if there's the slightests system instability.

So how much overclocking could I expect to achieve; and what processor\memory would be best that would keep my system rock solid under strain. But going for a PCI express board makes sense (I think)

I don't want to go overboard with the spending, because this article worries me about the future of the motherboard and memory

http://www.guru3d.com/newsitem.php?id=2283

(currently I have one stick of generic 2700, and another of generic 3200)

O yes, and hello everybody.

what motherboard do you have, and is that 2000+ a TbredA/B or a Palomino (to check download and run GCPUID, in my sig)
If you buy a new board, you'll need a new CPU and a new video card.
Also knowing your price range would really help us figure what would be the best way for you to upgrade.

I'm going to use the old m\bd + processor to be a prnterserver\fileserver. - So i've a blank canvas.

I'll spend £600 odd, but have flexibility wuith the budget.

But what my question really is- what sort of speeds can a novice to overclocking expect to get from a 64 bit AMD3000 or an AMD 3200? - and be very very stable.

Last edited:
Back