• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

I want to upgrade, but to what!?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

ne0

Registered
Hello fellow OC'ers,

It's been a while since I posted and just wanted to say I'M BACKKKK. Anyway, I've been having mad problems with my KR7A-RAID mobo -- I just simply cannot get any videocard to work on it at all. The computer locks up all that time and at times has trouble booting up; in other words, I want to move on and upgrade the mobo and processor. I don't want another ABIT mobo, due to the problems I've had with 3 different versions of them (bad luck?). I'm running Win XP Pro, one 80gig HD with the OS on it, another 160gb hd with my music and other stuff, two 256MB ram sticks, and an AMD Athlon 2100+ XP chip. I'm looking to put a 256MB nVidia FX5600 AGP video card into it to play Counter-Strike. My question to you guys is what should I upgrade to and what problems may I face with the switch (i.e. reinstalling windows, new ram, etc.)? Any help is greatly appreciated. Thanks a bunch!

-John

Go with Abit NF7

I would suggest you go with the NF7 base motherboard your 2100+ will slip right on as will both of your sticks of memory and you could run at 266 fsb until you decide to upgrade memory or just all out up grade CPU,Motherboard and Memory.THe NF7 will give you some decent overclocking ability as well.You will need to reinstall windows.Good luck on you'r decsion.
Dont forget to fold Boys and Girls :attn:

What I want to do is completely upgrade the mobo and processor, so my 2100+ is garbage. Like I said before, I've got two HD's -- would I only have to reformat the one with the Windows OS on it?

You got it

Yes you would only have to reformat the primary drive that you want to put windows on.The secondary drive i would say don't even plug into the IDE cable until you have fully built windows if you are afraid of losing data by accident.If you are junking the 2100+ then consider a nice Sempron 754 socket and a decent NF3 250g or an K8t800 .Both will serve you well my son.
Good luck in you'r endever.
Remeber Boys and Girls to Fold :attn: You'r life could depend on it :-/

massraptor said:
Yes you would only have to reformat the primary drive that you want to put windows on.The secondary drive i would say don't even plug into the IDE cable until you have fully built windows if you are afraid of losing data by accident.If you are junking the 2100+ then consider a nice Sempron 754 socket and a decent NF3 250g or an K8t800 .Both will serve you well my son.
Good luck in you'r endever.
Remeber Boys and Girls to Fold :attn: You'r life could depend on it :-/

You can do better than that...plus my hard disk interface is IDE not ATA.

That is very true, however I run mine as IDE not ATA. I have not had the time or money to invest in the SATA drive. So all you need to redo is your drive that runs Windows.

Back