• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

BFG 6800 Ultra Question

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

FACTION95Si

I just got a BFG 6800 Ultra. The card is a beast! I was wondering if it comes with a thermal pad that I can replace with some Actic Silver? Is the heat sink that it comes with aluminum and can it be replaced with a copper one like the eVGA version? Will doing any of this void my lifetime warranty?

A beast it is! :burn:
Fast at that though. :) Anyhow, most of the BFG boards of late are either using a TIM or a white heatsink grease. Replacing this with AS5 will void your warranty from what I've heard, as will replacing your heatsink. Assuming the BFG uses a reference cooler like the eVGA card does, you should not run into any problems replacing the standard Aluminum core with the copper part eVGA sells.

Awesome dragonhunter!

Have you changed anything on the card or is it still with the stock cooling setup?

I called BFG and the tech said that basically any changes to the card and it voids the lifetime warranty.

Wow thats an incredible price. Mine was $503 with tax.

I do have to say that the cooling fan is kind of noisy. It makes a high pitch whining sound.

FACTION95Si said:
I just got a BFG 6800 Ultra. The card is a beast! I was wondering if it comes with a thermal pad that I can replace with some Actic Silver? Is the heat sink that it comes with aluminum and can it be replaced with a copper one like the eVGA version? Will doing any of this void my lifetime warranty?

I read a review that claims that BFG does not use a thermal pad on the GPU, the review claims that Arctic Silver is on the core. I'll let you know when I get mine.

It's strange that the native AGP 6800 is more powerful but the native PCIe 6600 is newer technology. BFG seems to be the darling of the reviewers. With this deal the price/performance ratio is just as good a bang for the buck as the 6600GT is. I didn't like the Fry's Outpost.com resellers.com rating but it was still in the low average range and not dangerous to do business with. Just not as stellar as the likes of Newegg.

The last reviews I've seen for the BGF 6600GT AGP showed they used that white thermal compound on the GPU and thermal tape on the bridge chip. There's no way they could get those good temps on the GPU if they used thermal tape.

I look forward to hearing your results SSS.

Last edited:
Back