• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

I got it!

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
h2o all the way! I've just spent $70 on a waterblock and I'm getting the rest of my stuff this weekend, so there's no turning back now! (and there's such a thing as quiet efficient air cooling?)

Would71 said:
Screw H2O rigs, some of us actually know what we're doing when it comes to efficient (and not deafening) air cooling. :D

"Efficient air-cooling", now that's an oxymoron if I ever heard one :D

Would71 said:
You must not know what you're doing, then.. mine works just great.

Getting a little tired of the "lunatic fringe" going on and on about watercooling. "Watercooling is the future of personal computing!!!" No, it's the future of building things to show off to other people to make one's self seem more technically-inclined. The average PC buyer will laugh you out of the store if you tried to sell them a PC that needed the occasional fill-up.

Aside from perhaps a coat of paint to cover up my Dremel "accidents", my PC is about function, not geek-chic. I'm usually the only one who sees it, so I have no need to build a show-off box to make myself seem like some uber-guru to the occasional visitor.

AMDGuy tried to convince me watercooling ruled.. until I produced evidence that I was getting better cooling with my fans than he was with water. (according to him) That ended that pretty quickly. :D

But how loud is your fan cooling? My cooling system is great, airflow is near perfect, but the damn 60mm delta 38 on my CAK is my only offender. Without that going my system is nearly silent, but what cooler/fan/methods do you use??

Would71 said:
The loudest single fan in my PC is the 38.5 dB unit on my Glaciator. I have three other primary fans that put out 36-36.5 dB, and the rest are smaller fans that don't add much of anything to the case noise. I can notice the noise from the PC, but it's not so bad that it drives me nuts. Keep in mind my PC sits about 6 feet away from where I sleep, and I run it 24/7.. so it can't be all that loud. It's just perfect in that regard, because I like a bit of "white noise" when I am laying down. Dead quiet rooms drive me nuts.

I won't install any fan that is louder than the Glaciator's fan. I do my research on them before I buy them. I could've put stronger units in a few places, but I chose these as much for noise as for flow, and the system works great. 43 C under "Folding load" right now, and a 28 C ambient. Note my Vcore in the pic below.

Sounds like you about hit the nail on the head with that one, I for one wouldn't mind setting up a watercooled system for the heck of it when I can afford to. But right now, I'm happy with my semi-quiet fan setup... again, well said.

H20 can be very quiet.

Would71 said:
The loudest single fan in my PC is the 38.5 dB unit on my Glaciator. I have three other primary fans that put out 36-36.5 dB, and the rest are smaller fans that don't add much of anything to the case noise. I can notice the noise from the PC, but it's not so bad that it drives me nuts. Keep in mind my PC sits about 6 feet away from where I sleep, and I run it 24/7.. so it can't be all that loud. It's just perfect in that regard, because I like a bit of "white noise" when I am laying down. Dead quiet rooms drive me nuts.

I won't install any fan that is louder than the Glaciator's fan. I do my research on them before I buy them. I could've put stronger units in a few places, but I chose these as much for noise as for flow, and the system works great. 43 C under "Folding load" right now, and a 28 C ambient. Note my Vcore in the pic below.

I had a glaciator too but it was too loud for me even at a lower voltage. I now set my standard for noise at the 21 dBA of my Panaflo L series 80mm fans. I put Dynamat on the inside of my case and mountes all fans and hard drives on rubber gromets. temps are low enough for me 35C idle 40C load and ver very quiet probably not quite as quiet as the original Koolance case but as close as I can get it! My PC is on 24/7 too but I just hate noise!

O

I think you are missing a crucial point:

Water Cooling is WAY geeky! (And that's a good thing)

My friends and I were in (yes, stupid) ****ing contests about who had the fastest machine. I was the Russia of the group (couldn't afford the technology), so I built one of the strangest h20 rigs I could.

Now they fear me. I am Ubergeek. Fear my burbling! Raah!

mechsiah said:
I think you are missing a crucial point:

Water Cooling is WAY geeky! (And that's a good thing)

My friends and I were in (yes, stupid) ****ing contests about who had the fastest machine. I was the Russia of the group (couldn't afford the technology), so I built one of the strangest h20 rigs I could.

Now they fear me. I am Ubergeek. Fear my burbling! Raah!
HE!! yea!!! go dude!!! lol...
Im the freak around here aint it great?!!

Wha?? Ask the general public and most people will realize they have fans in their system. If you tell somebody you have a watercooled computer? Most people will just be like, "uhhhh..."

Watercooling is king! (and I'll be in that group next week once all my ****e arrives)

Back