• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

6200 or 6600 (non-gt) for budget overclock?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

yeha

i've been pondering these pci-express cards, and as satisfying as it would be to get a perfect pipeline unlock on the 6200 and doubling the performance, is the $20-or-so difference between them ($90 vs. $110) really a big enough saving to justify the risk? it's not in the same league as the 9800se->9800 price difference, that's for sure.

i'm also surprised at how few reports i've seen about 6200 pipeline mods, i guess it's the relatively small number of pci-express motherboards in wide use. any idea on the percentage of successful unlocks? i think i'll go with the 6600 unless people are seeing a >75% hit rate with 6200s.

Get the XFX 6600GT for $185 at ZipZoomFly and then start your OCing.

I'm at a conservative 550/1100 on the stock heatsink/fan using Coolbits.

well i finally found a review that compared an overclocked (550/575) 6600 to a 6600gt, and the difference in performance i'm seeing is often less than 10%. to me that's not worth an extra 50% or so in price, especially since 6600gt's rarely overclock all that high over stock speeds. and for most non-synthetic games (farcry, ut2004, halo, doom3, rtcw) the 6600 is running almost even with the gt!

i also plan on a heatsink mod (silent pc fanatic), so going with the 6600 will give me a bit more price freedom with aftermarket addons. now i just need the new revision of rs480m2 boards to reach the market. 6200 is off my list, i see now that it's not worth the risk now that nv44 chips might start getting used in them, making the pipeline unlock impossible and the card worthless.

well, for a start them benchies dont look right and plus you must get 256mb version and overclock it and it still dont match a 6600Gt stock, so imagin a 6600Gt 256mb Overclocked>?

oh i know the gt is a better card, much better when aa is used, but i'm looking at at least $200-$210 for a gt + heatsink and that's just not within my budget. i guess i could wait longer (this comp is going on 3 years old - xp@1600mhz, pc2700, gf4mx) but it'd sure be fun building a new one now.

i guess i'm in a common boat now - waiting for e-step hammers and another wave of 939 pci-e boards.

yeha said:
oh i know the gt is a better card, much better when aa is used, but i'm looking at at least $200-$210 for a gt + heatsink and that's just not within my budget. i guess i could wait longer (this comp is going on 3 years old - xp@1600mhz, pc2700, gf4mx) but it'd sure be fun building a new one now.

i guess i'm in a common boat now - waiting for e-step hammers and another wave of 939 pci-e boards.

If you thinking of getting anew rig, then u might aswell wait and go PCI-E and then get a X800XL

Back