• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

how are my cpu temps?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Shuzzy

hey there, just a quick question. since this is my first a64 chip im a little concerned about my temps. i've got my 3200+ skt 754 mildly oc'd to 2417mhz right now. this is using 1.55v. i idle around 35 degrees, but it get's up to about 65 when i load the chip up with prime 95 and games. now to me that seems a little high. im using a zalman 7700cnps-alcu cooler and my case temps virtually never read above 30 degrees since my system is in my cool basement. any comments?

Well your load temp is high, most try to keep it in the 40s but lower 50s are alright too, just keep in mind that lower temps help to keep the cpu stable, and a good case temp is also important.

hmm, wel motherboard monitor are taking these readings and my case temps usually don't get over 30 degrees even under load. im using as5 btw.

the chip is 100% stable at these speeds, but i want to push it furhter eventually without having my temps rocket even further. how's my voltage?

Don't know about your volts as you can see I don't have a a64 and know much about them, what you can do to lower your temps is to get as5 on the cpu if you haven't cone so, organize your wires inside the case, and check to see if dust is obstructing airflow thru the hs.

Shuzzy said:
any a64 air coolers wanna comment on their own temps?
Yea I do. Ive got an AV8 and its innaccurate as hell. On uGuru EQ do you have a PWM temp measure? If so THAT is your true CPU temp becuase it is taken from the socket and not the on-die.

Their sensers are notoriously higher than actual. This holds true for any Abit.

hmmm... well the pwn is reading 28 right now and the cpu is reading 42. that's a large difference. i just finished playing some cs:source.

maybe my zalman cooler is not making good contact with the cpu or somehow the as5 was'nt applied right or got all messed up when i was screwing on the cooler.

do you apply as5 the same way to a a64 as you do to a pentium? i know you spread it on a regular athlon. what about an a64?

I personally doubt you put AS5 on wrong... BUT, it is possible the heatsink isnt sitting right. I think the 60+C is a little high. I am personally now getting about 30C idle, 45C MAX load. I have a 3200 Winnie with a XP120.

Lol, you spoiled Athlon 64 people with a high temp being ~60C.

-Sam

P.S. 2.8E o/c'd to 3.6 dual F@H 24/7 stable --- 79C.

samuraisam said:
Lol, you spoiled Athlon 64 people with a high temp being ~60C.

-Sam

P.S. 2.8E o/c'd to 3.6 dual F@H 24/7 stable --- 79C.
That is not OK man - 79 celsius.....holy shat

Back to the topic at hand - mobo temps are notoriously CRAP. Take my ABIT for instance, I recently flashed to the newest BIOS and one of the changes was "re-calibrate temp sensor"..........it dropped my CPU temp like 10 friggin degrees C. What Im trying to say is they program the damn thing at thier best guess and sometimes (read most) they are wrong. Sometimes more wrong then others.

Get a external temp probe and forget about the onboard sensor. Also I understand the Zalman is a great product but its primarily for noise reduction.....you may get better performance from another cooler as well. Not sure as Im not AMD man.......

My prescott (and they run hot as hell) runs 47 degrees full load (two copies of FAH running while 3dmark05 for 2 hours straight) with my ThermalRight XP120 and PanaFlo fan. Its unaudible over my PSU but my system isnt about quiet either.

Before that on stock I was running about 68 to 72 (but never no crazy *** 79).......

ok, well my antec p160 case has some temp probes included. where should i put the probe? under the cpu?

I would also would like a good answer as to how to attach external temp sensors to various devices. Where to put them, what to adhere them with...etc.

BTW Shuzzy you might want to try using cpu-z to get actual voltage info etc. I know that on my gigabyte mobo the cpu voltage is set to normal which is around 1.5v and acording to cpu-z the chip is actually pulling 1.6v

blueswitch said:
BTW Shuzzy you might want to try using cpu-z to get actual voltage info etc. I know that on my gigabyte mobo the cpu voltage is set to normal which is around 1.5v and acording to cpu-z the chip is actually pulling 1.6v

well there is something wrong with my cpuz because it reads 1.5v no matter what. that's ok though because mbm is reading it correctly. a little overvolt but nothing out of the ordinary.

Shuzzy said:
hey there, just a quick question. since this is my first a64 chip im a little concerned about my temps. i've got my 3200+ skt 754 mildly oc'd to 2417mhz right now. this is using 1.55v. i idle around 35 degrees, but it get's up to about 65 when i load the chip up with prime 95 and games. now to me that seems a little high. im using a zalman 7700cnps-alcu cooler and my case temps virtually never read above 30 degrees since my system is in my cool basement. any comments?

Thats incredibly high. My load at 2.52 only gets up to about 48°C.

johnmcc516 said:
Thats incredibly high. My load at 2.52 only gets up to about 48°C.

yea i figured that. now the question is how do i get it down?

well im thinking of just getting an xp-90 and a panaflo medium speed fan. will this out perfform the zalman? also how loud are those panaflos? and can the fan just be hooked right into my motherboard connection? (abit kv8pro)

Back