• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

why are my temps so high

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

kaitlin4599

i have a core 2 duo E8400 being cooled by a corsair A70 with 2 120mm fans in push pull config. im using arctic MX2 TIM my psu also has a 120 mm fan, my idle temps are at 41c at stock temps any idea whats causing this cant overclock if stock temps are this high have used speccy hardware monitor and real temp and they all give the same results

my room temp is 70 degrees F

Are you sure the A70 hasn't lost the coolant from the pipes? That's got to be a pretty old unit. They quit making them several years ago. And have you removed the cooler to check the TIM spread pattern for indications there isn't good contact?

Idle temps are pretty useless. But where are you reading that from? If its the bios, there is a slight load there and ie temps are lower in windows...

Anyway, what are load temps?

Edit: wait wth.... 41 idle and 44 load??????? Lets make sense please. :)

Use realtemp for temps.... leave it idle for 5 mins... then run p95 small fft for 20 mins (what version of p95 btw?)... post screenshot of temps sbowing idle and load. Thread is all over the map. :p

Please use punctuation for ease of reading. :)

I recall many different cases with terrible airflow you were considering. What case is in use right now?

ATMIN im using my modded 4u server case its a case thats in desktop form factor i.e. not a sff case but then also not a tower case also if im not mistaken. The E8400 and other CPUs from that era had a common problem where the DTS (the Digital Thermal Sensor) would be unable to show temperatures below a certain point. This was referred to as having "stuck sensors". It was usually at some temperature somewhere around 40. Yours seems to have an inability to read any temperatures below 41. This is ok though because the DTS is only designed for accuracy at temps above 50. It doesn't mean 50 and above are perfectly accurate, but it means the temps get more and more accurate at 50 and above (as the temps get closer and closer to the TJ Max, which is 95 or 100 for the E8400, I forget which). If the temps were to somehow reach the TJ Max, the readings would be pretty much 100% accurate for safety reasons because the CPU's thermal safety would kick in. am i not correct there lastly

im using version 28.10 of prime95 and load temps while testing with prime were between 41c and 43c after 20 mins of testing

also im using arctic mx2 TIM and a corsair A70 cpu air cooler with 4 direct touch heat pipes in push pull config keep in mind my ambient room temp is 70 degrees F.

Your good up to the boiling point of water 90c.

so wingman was i correct in assuming that my temps of between 41-43c under load while testing prime95 at stock speeds are fine also was i correct in assuming that the idle temps of 41c were due to the stuck DTS?

so wingman was i correct in assuming that my temps of between 41-43c under load while testing prime95 at stock speeds are fine also was i correct in assuming that the idle temps of 41c were due to the stuck DTS?

Sounds like the software is not reading correctly if the temps are the same under load. Would not say a on die Digital temp sensor is stuck.

E 8400 throttles at 105c, I have done it. Tj max 105c

View attachment 190858

I am sure you have vastly more experience OCing than I do, but when you're facts aren't accurate it makes it hard to believe your advice.

Real Temp Shows
44+51 = 95
39+56 = 95

Which is a drastic difference from Core Temp simply stating 105 as the TJ Max.

So how do you know which to believe?

Last edited:
E 8400 throttles at 105c, I have done it. Tj max 105c

View attachment 190858

Your proof is irrefutable when you have two programs running showing vastly different temperature readings and TJ Max values.
Anything you say is definitely legitimate when you're boiling your water at 90°C.

Edit: 100°C for this CPU is thermal shutdown. tCase is 72°C.

I don't see a problem here is load temps are in the 40s C. Who cares if the idle temps are not reading correctly. I know that A70 cooler and it's a beast. Max load temps in the 40s seem reasonable to me.

I don't see a problem here is load temps are in the 40s C. Who cares if the idle temps are not reading correctly. I know that A70 cooler and it's a beast. Max load temps in the 40s seem reasonable to me.

thanks trents the cooler is a beast also im using arctic cooling MX2 which is much different then AS5

Back