• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

8kha memory settings

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

ocmonkeyboy

I'm having a problem changing the memory settings on my 8kha above anything but 'Normal'. The problems I'm seeing are general file corruption when running Business Winstone (these boxes will be non-gaming machines). When set to normal and not oc'd in any other way, the machines test out fine, completing up to 50 test runs. If I set it higher, say to just Fast, it craps all over itself within two tests. Again, the errors usually revolve around file corruption pointing to the hd. I'm stumped, any ideas? I actually have two machines which are identical except for two things. Here's the particulars:

Epox 8kha mobo with the latest bios & 4in1 drivers
1 Crucial 256mb 2100 ddr stick
One is a 900mhz TB (200mhz fsb) and the other is a 1333mhz TB (266)
ATI Radeon LE AGP w/latest drivers
IBM Deskstar 40gb HDs
Sony cdr, floppy drive
Netgear 311 NIC

Besides the cpus, the only other difference between the boxes is that the 900 is running W2K Pro and the 1333 is using W98SE. And yeah, I know that NIC is cheap so I pulled it in both boxes with no change in performance. I'd like to get a little more aggresive with the memory settings, but I'm stuck with lowest settings. Any help is appreciated!

i cant use any of other memory settings other then cas 2 in my memory options for my 8kha for some reason too'

i think it's something to do with the motherboard

Sorry to extinguish the fire with my bodily function (?), but I'm at turbo CAS 2 4 way interleave at 161Mhz FSB on my rev 1.1 8KHA.

That's just using Crucial PC2100 CAS 2.5 memory with the voltage upped to 2.7 and carrying thermaltake heatspreaders.

I too will further extinguish. Mushkin pc2400 heatspreaders-Cas 2.5 Turbo settings, 4way interleave and 9x167. I get 3dmark issues though, but good mem scores. Epox 8kha rev1.3 mem is at 3v

[OC] Jason said:
I too will further extinguish. Mushkin pc2400 heatspreaders-Cas 2.5 Turbo settings, 4way interleave and 9x167. I get 3dmark issues though, but good mem scores. Epox 8kha rev1.3 mem is at 3v

Lower the turbo settings to fastest, then drop volts to 2.9 - then cross fingers and crack open beer whilst watching the Nature section on a GF3 card!!!!

Thanks andy, well ill try that am i think itll work. My buddy got a 1.4 AHYJAR 200, cause his board will only run 100/200FSB. I talked him into trading me for my 1.33 266 AHYJA9. So i will just unlock it and boot at 10.5x133, and i think that chip will OC alot better than my AHYJA9 what does the croud say?

[OC] Jason said:
Thanks andy, well ill try that am i think itll work. My buddy got a 1.4 AHYJAR 200, cause his board will only run 100/200FSB. I talked him into trading me for my 1.33 266 AHYJA9. So i will just unlock it and boot at 10.5x133, and i think that chip will OC alot better than my AHYJA9 what does the croud say?

There is only one way to find out - suck it and see::

Here's what I've found on the original problem so far: upping the dimm voltage to 2.70 seems to have helped the W98 system. What's odd is that I did that right away when things started going screwey. No telling what damage was done during the mutliple crashes though, so the fact that the new build is working better shouldn't be a surprise. The W2k box is still being reinstalled. The initial tests are being done prior to installing the 4in1 drivers. If it runs ok without them, then bugs out with them, I seem to have my answer. I'll post results when I have them.

I don't think it is the board per se, nor is it the memory (I have four sticks to swap in and out). It is pointing to the IDE bus in the 4in1 set, but still too early to say for sure. Hopefully a new install on each and upping the juice to the ddr will do the trick.

ocmonkeyboy said:
Here's what I've found on the original problem so far: upping the dimm voltage to 2.70 seems to have helped the W98 system. What's odd is that I did that right away when things started going screwey. No telling what damage was done during the mutliple crashes though, so the fact that the new build is working better shouldn't be a surprise. The W2k box is still being reinstalled. The initial tests are being done prior to installing the 4in1 drivers. If it runs ok without them, then bugs out with them, I seem to have my answer. I'll post results when I have them.

I don't think it is the board per se, nor is it the memory (I have four sticks to swap in and out). It is pointing to the IDE bus in the 4in1 set, but still too early to say for sure. Hopefully a new install on each and upping the juice to the ddr will do the trick.

The 4-in-1's need to be in place in order for the 8233 to work correctly - without that working correctly, stability will go out of the window.

wild_andy_c said:

The 4-in-1's need to be in place in order for the 8233 to work correctly.
Or you could just download the newest version of mandrake and say by by to winblows.

lol dimmreaper, my debian and rh boxes are so stable, they're almost boring. Unfortunately, I still need a Winblows box or two.

andy, I've been operating under the same assumption about the 4in1s and the southbridge. It only makes sense to have them installed. That assumes though that via's latest release is stable. Since I'm in hunt mode, and the problem seems to related to the IDE bus, running some tests prior to installing the drives seemed in order. While I'm a little happy to say the boxes are stable so far without the drivers, that means bigger problems if they crash with the drivers. There is a method to this madness.

hmmmm

i lowered my fsb and set memory to turbo

now everything works!!!!

my 3dmark2001 was crashing so i figured it was something about the memory settings but when i turn it back down to normal it would SOMETIMES run 3dmark without crashing....it was the fsb that caused everything

Hi all.

I see that a number of you are having better luck with the 8kha than myself.

First of all, I cannot move above "normal". Even "fast" causes a crash.

Second, my fsb won't budge. I can't even take it to 135 without a crash.

Third, I cannot move my multiplier past 8.5. The best I got was 134x8.5. 9 will not work even with everything else stock.

Any ideas? I really have messed with the voltages and the cas, but nothing seems to work.

Info: 1Ghz Athlon, 8kha Revision ?, 128 Micron PC2100 RAM, 7200 RPM 20 Gig Maxtor HD, Cheap-o 2x AGP video card (I am waiting for my order), no cooling probs.

Help, suggestions greatly appreciated.

Man this bites. Wish I could say my rig is as forgiving as some of the others on here, but it isn't. Here's what I've found so far. The W2K box is very particular about the memory settings. Anything above Normal and shiznit starts flying loose. It is always in terms of file corruptiong pointing to the IDE Bus. This is consistent with my dealings in pc133 memory and W2K - very finicky.

The W98SE box was less picky, but still pretty unforgiving. I could get it up to Fast before things crapped out. What I noticed also with both boxes is that things were more stable without the 4in1 drivers installed. Of course they were also a whoooole lot slower. I'd never suggest running without them, this is just for observation's sake.

I'm dealing with a rev 1.1 board, the latest bios and drivers, and some decent Crucial 2.5 2100 memory. I wish I could get some screen dumps of the bios from some of the machines that work better just to make sure I haven't missed anything. Guess I'm hosed. If anyone can thing of anything for me/us to try, please pass it along.

One other note, I am able to keep the board running at 150 fsb. Probably higher if I wanted, but I need this thing to be fairly stable. Just wish I could get some more umph out of my f'n memory!

Woohoo, success! It finally sank into my dense head that the main difference between the systems in this thread that worked and those that didn't was that the working rigs were oc'd. With the stability I had at 150, I decided to monkey around with the memory again for the helluvit. Seems that the oc'd fsb gives the memory more wiggle room. At 150, I was able to run Winstone tests with the mem set at Turbo and bumping the mem to cas 2 with 4 interleave. Got what I wanted and then some. This was all done on the W2K box which is even better news for 98 users - 98 is much more forgiving when it comes to memory issues.

As always, *watch your temps*! This has to be a via ide bus issue imo. I noticed a lot less fragging of files with the fsb oc'd. The voltages are set to a reasonable 1.825 and 2.70, and my Silvarodo is keeping things cool. You may want to bump the settings down as a precaution if you are doing anything that is highly disk intensive.

Last edited:
I have had no such experience. I cant get this mobo to give me anything. fsb tops out at 134. I have to use normal, even fast doesn't work. 8.5 is the top multiplier. I have raised the voltage, but still no luck.

I am seriously dissapointed at this mobo so far. No jumpers, but who cares?

I would love to hear any ideas, or suggions, or (please) bios settings.

Thanks

Sorry to hear that dude, but hold of thrashing the board until you get your replacement agp. As with pc133 systems, any card in the link that is crappy will cause just the kind of failures you're seeing. A slow pci/agp card will make the rest of the system wait and then hang. Do you have any other memory to swap in? That may be a problem area as well. Imo, the fact that you can't get above 134 points to the agp and memory (in that order). Wish I could be of more help.

Thanks. I think that you may be right about the agp. The memory is good, plugged it in another machine. It's micron, not probably the best, but good enough.

You are right, I am not trying to say anything bad about this mobo, because there have been SO MANY positive reviews. I love the jumper-less, bios-only thing.

I will check back with y'all when I get my new AGP video.

Thanks, aye.

BTW, if anyone gets a chance, i would appreciate a primer on the bios settings people are using. New video card in *days*!

Back