• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Do all CO Prescotts fall for the lower multi "trick"?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

stockhatch

Since finding out that the Max 3 can fool certain Prescotts into a lower multi, I am considering ordering a 3.2E. Do ALL of the C0 steppings work for this? If it has a SL7B8 in the model number is it guaranteed to work or what? Also, I know my RAM will run 2.5-3-3-7@275, so I figure if the Prescott will mod, it will give me 3.85GHz at the same FSB and RAM bandwidth I have now at 3.3GHz. Im not sure how high my RAM will go with looser timings...You think 550MHz will really make much difference in gaming, benching, day to day stuff etc? I figure I can get maybe $75-$100 for my 2.4C, so the upgrade would only run me around $120-140. Think its worth it?

Thanks

AC

The SL7B8 WILL work with the multi trick. Any 3.2 C0 only, 3.4 C0 & D0 will work with the multi trick AS LONG as your motherboard manufacturer's bios supports it. Which like you said the Max3 does ;)

Thanks :) What multis become available with the 3.4 D0s? 14x? Maybe I should go 3.4 instead of 3.2? What do you think? I want to be able to AT LEAST maintain my current FSB of 275, and go higher if possible. What are my chances of hitting this with either chip? Ill check the CPU DB, but I want to hear from some ppl currently hitting these speeds too.

Thanks,

AC

EDIT: MAybe I wont check the CPU DB after all. There does not appear to be any entries for the 3.2 or 3.4 Pressy in there. :(

stockhatch said:
Thanks :) What multis become available with the 3.4 D0s? 14x? Maybe I should go 3.4 instead of 3.2? What do you think? I want to be able to AT LEAST maintain my current FSB of 275, and go higher if possible. What are my chances of hitting this with either chip? Ill check the CPU DB, but I want to hear from some ppl currently hitting these speeds too.

Thanks,

AC

EDIT: MAybe I wont check the CPU DB after all. There does not appear to be any entries for the 3.2 or 3.4 Pressy in there. :(

You got a PM ;)

jokers, certain prescotts are programmed to run at a lower multiplier when installed on motherboards that dont support their higher clock speeds. Some motherboard manufacturers have figured out how to trick these chips into using the lower multi even if the original clock speeds are supported. This allows you to choose either the stock multiplier, or a 14x multiplier.

AC

Back