• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

DD RBX Cleaning

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

mils128

Hey guys, i just opened up my DD RBX block to put in the accelerator plates that i bought with it in and want to clean everything up before i do. is it ok to use rubbing alchol?

Second Question
In my accelerator plate kit i have a blank which can be used to not use a barb on the rbx (it is 3 babs therefore making it a 2 barb, is this recommeneded or should i keep it at 3 barb or make it a 2 barb system?

Third:
anyone got specific instructions on how to install accelerator plates?
Fourth: which plates are best to use under the outlet barbs?

My Block and the number of accelerator plates?
http://www.dangerdenstore.com/product.php?productid=28&cat=58&page=1

Personally I would stick with using the 3 barbs. For the middle inlet barb, I prefer to use #5 nozel. It is the one with all the small holes. Only use this if you have a good pump. As for the outlets, I would not use anything under them. Just leave them open. If you wanted to only use 2 barbs you should have gone with the TDX. You can clean it with alchol. won'd do any harm to it. Just make sure you don't clean the lucite top with alchol. This can cause it to crack. Just give it a good wash.

Danger Den doesn't appear to be specifying the material they used for the o-ring but considering that alcohol is commonly used to kill organics in water cooled systems, I don't think it should be a problem.

Second Question
In my accelerator plate kit i have a blank which can be used to not use a barb on the rbx (it is 3 babs therefore making it a 2 barb, is this recommeneded or should i keep it at 3 barb or make it a 2 barb system?

I thought they gave you a blank so you can make one yourself. I dont know if I would want to trust that it would seal up right if I was trying to make it a 2 barb. But I think you would want to stay 3 barb for better performance.

sicne when is the blank plate used to block off one of the exit holes? its a blank plate so you can create a DIY plate for yourself

otherwise, the #5 (small holes) is recommended for best performance if you have a stronger pump, or #4 if you have a slightly lesser pump, or if the #5 has gotten clogged with debris in the past (high-percentage antifreeze loops sometimes clog the #5 plate)

well guys i put in the number 5 plate and clened it out. i used tarnish remova on the bottom of the sink and then cleaned with rubbing alchohol twice and some nice soap water. also tried to clean the inside a bit/ thanks for all the help that i have gotten here.

Let us know how the sink performs after using the tarnish remover. My understanding is that tarnish removers leave a "protective" film on the metal that impedes heat transfer, but I guess the amount of impedance would depend on the actual tarnish remover used--assuming different brands use different formulations. I'm just curious as to what effect it does have, if any.

ok guys so i looked at my block toa
and ah. major dsaster
and it was the tarnish removers fault
it looked like the copper has that rainbow oil stuff that comes out of cars
imediatly cleaned it with the tarnish remover, then added rubbing alchohol then dried it and did the rubbing alchohol agian so i have to check on it to see what happened.

quick tip for the future to clean and remove tarnish/fingerprint stains from coppper: ketchup, leave it on 1-3min then scrub with toothbrush.

works very well, doesnt leave residue, and best of all its free while going to any fast food place :D

Thanks guys, I am a high school student so i went to my art teacher, which is also the jewrly design teacher and got some 600 grit sand paper. i really didn't need to use it because i had done the tarnish removal again the right way and i had no more tarnish on it but i just wet sanded it a minute making sure i went in circles and made it nice and smooth. it would be better if i were to lap it but i unfortunatly do not have any cash to spend. everything is ok now and i feel that my block should perform better now that i changed the accelerator plate and made it nice a smooth and shiny.

Actually you could of used vinegar AND salt. Both found in ketchup which makes it effective.

I used vinegar and salt and had no problem. I made sure to remove the o-ring first tho. If worst comes to worst, just get a new one from d-den.

JT

With the o-ring, on your next DD order buy a couple of extras and keep them around as spares. Having an extra on hand is much better than having to order one when you actually need it, and Murphy's Law states that if you need one, it will be on a Friday night with Monday a holiday....

Back