• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Safe to OC?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Slurgi

Registered
Hello, this is my first post here.

I have done a lot of research for the past few months and i finally decided to buy my rig (shown in profile) peice by peice from various vendors and along with my monitor/keyboard/mouse/printer/sound blaster platinum/whateverelseyoucanstickinapcislot it cost me around ~$1500.

Needless to say, I dont exactly want to go buy my proccesor over again.

I did a little research and Overclocked my GeForce3 and it runs the 3dMark2001 with a score of 6732. I ran it a few times, and my computer handled it fine.

Now for my question, what would most likely be a safe level too OC it? I have a nifty program i got from my Maximum PC CD cleverly named 'burnintest' to see how well a system performs when OC'ed and if any data is lost or corrupted. That isnt my worry, since i can test that, but my worry is that i fry the processor in doing so. What is a safe temperature to keep my pc at?

Signed, a 15 year old overclocking newbie :eek:

Slurgi

GOOD COOLING = LOUD
(Watacooling is an exceptional)

yea he's rite it's betta if u keep ur cpu temps under 50C
well 50C won't cause ur cpu to burn yet but just keep it under 50C..

when my cpu is over 70 it couldn't go in to windows.
i got mine to 47 now.
stable.
btw, never try the video at tomshardware at home.:D
370 degrees!!!:eek:

Ok, Thanks, but...

Now that i know i should keep it under 50, I uhhh.... need to know how to tell the temperature of the CPU at all times. I know how to tell in my BIOS, but when the computer is sitting idle that isnt much of a test.

Also, when i am on the menu to switch the bus speeds and multipliers, it is listed like this

133/30 (133 x 2 = fsb, but 30 x ? = ?)
the second number never rises above 35, and I am forced to change both of them one step at a time.

It also says my MOBO should be in jumper-free mode. Is there a switch directly on it or something?

i don't understand what you are trying to say at the second part but the first part you can try using a software called motherboard monitor to monitor your temps in windows

search for it in download.com or places like that and u should be able to find it

Ok, MBM 5 says...

Still at the 1.4 Ghz form i bought it in, my CPU runs idle at...

28 Degrees for the case

59 degrees for my processor

this is after 10 second readouts for an hour, the low/high temperatures are the same.

is this unsafe already? Since it is not under 50, what should i do?

that is a really bad temp

what heatsink are u using/ and what thermal grease goes with it?

you really need a better heatsink before you start to do any kind of o/c

it is dangerous.......

Re: Ok, Thanks, but...

Slurgi said:
Now that i know i should keep it under 50, I uhhh.... need to know how to tell the temperature of the CPU at all times. I know how to tell in my BIOS, but when the computer is sitting idle that isnt much of a test.

Also, when i am on the menu to switch the bus speeds and multipliers, it is listed like this

133/30 (133 x 2 = fsb, but 30 x ? = ?)
the second number never rises above 35, and I am forced to change both of them one step at a time.

It also says my MOBO should be in jumper-free mode. Is there a switch directly on it or something?

133/30

133 = FSB
30 = PCI Bus
PCI Divisor seems to be 1/5 on your mobo

On most mobos you either have to set a jumper or set some dip switches on he board in order to switch between jumper and jumperless (all settings in Bios) modes.

For your temps get MBM 5. It will read out your temps and also control things like Fan speeds and voltages.

Hope that helps !

And welcome to the Forum!

After seeing your temps I would strongly recommend to get another Heatsink. The Thermalright sk6 is very good and not too expensive. The new 8045 Alphas seem to be Top of the line right now. Also get some good thermal paste like AS II, but even some generic paste will be much better than nothing or some thermal crap (pad):D. What HS are you using at the moment?
Please don´t tell me it´s some kind of orb:mad:

Thats not good...

I see. If that is an already dangerous temperature, I better get a new heatsink, perhaps the Alphas one you mentioned (I have heard Alphas makes good heatsinks) Where do I go to buy heatsinks anyway?

After posting this, I think I'll open up the case and see what shape of heatsink it is or even if i can see any gap in the thermal paste and the heatsink.

I'll post back in about 30 minutes or so probably

I took off the case and inside, low and behold, is a big whoopin square heatsink with a fan on top.

I have 2 fans blowing air in on the back (one to the power supply) and one in the front that blows air out. I also have a cute white fan on my GeForce3, and on my processor, is what looks like a pretty big heatsink and a fan on top of that.

If it helps any, a stick on the heatsink has the following on it:

CPU COOLER, Ball Bearing, and 2 things that look like brand names. One is a backwards R then a U, the other is a half circle and inside that is SA.

Why is my cpu running so damn hot? I turned it on about 10 minutes ago and it went from 50 to 57 degrees celsius already.

Please dont melt, computer :(

NOT GOOD

I left MBM 5 on and played a little D2 to see just how hot it gets.

If anyone knows anything about D2, i purposely joined a hell game with my sorc to kill diablo, and there were 3 sorc, a necro, and a few zons and a barb (perfect lag classes), and i fought Diablo on the star, only keeping around 25 FPS the whole way.

I went and checked my high temp, 66 degreese

Needless to say, i wont do any diablo2 playing until someone helps me with this heat problem!

One more thing, for you expert OC'ers to diagnose my problem

Insdie the case it never went above 28 degrees celsius. Inside of my house looks like it is around 24.

what does that mean, exactly? please help

this doesn't sound right... are you sure the HS is connected correctly to you're CPU? If it's not correctly attached, it will not cool well. Allso make sure things like cables don't lie down atop you're HSF or in any way obstruct it's spin. Allso try getting some Arctic Silver II instead of using the cheap stuff I think is on you're HS now.
This might all be because of a bad HSF of course, so you should try and find out exactly what kinda cooling you are running.

ummm i know this may sound stupid but make sure that you actually have some thermal compound on the cpu. When i bought my computer, it came with a stock p3 heatsink and the company that built it never put any thermal compund:eek: :eek: :eek: I was idling at 60 and load was at 67.?????? AND I HAVE A P3!! Then i applied some thermal compund and now my load temp is 39.;)

I see

Wow, well i never took off the heatsink, but i might see if i can get the booger off and take a look.

What exactly does thermal compound look like anyway? I want to buy a new heatsink/combo anyway so i can do some overclocking safely

I am thinking about something like

http://2cooltek.safeshopper.com/32/137.htm?84

It comes with thermal compound, so that should make things simpler

Alot of motherboards incorrectly report temps, its real hard to set a baseline on actual tempuratures when everyone has a different sensor location and motherboard.
When I got mine it reported 67C idle and 75C load, I played it for 4 weeks in heavy 3d internet gaming( Everquest raids of 60+ people ) and DAoC beta.
Never crashed or locked up once. Many said I was burning up and shouldnt be even able to load windows. Never a lockup.
I installed a Vantec 6035d yesterday and now I am 56C Idle and 63 max C load. Much better but by some very very very high.
I am thinking now with like 11 fans in my system and a good heatsink for a non O/C CPU that its just the fact my motherboard has a sensor underneath the CPU that airflow cannot get to.
I got some ASII on the way and I'll dab some on it under the CPU as well when I redo the heatsink( Vantecs stardard paste was not good enough:) and see if that helps.
Some motherboards just seem to report about 10C high though:(
If your really serious about O/C I suggest you follow the procedures listed on most of these websites for getting a accurate temperture and see where you truely stand on it.

Back