• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

A little help with nForce2 Ultra NB & SB

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Lightning[983]

Hey,

Well i just recently found out from a friend that he managed to up his OC by installing better coolers on his NB & SB, so i went out and bought an aluminum passive cooler from CoolerMaster, and removed the small HeatSink from my NB (Gigabyte 7N400-L0) and installed the new one...

Now my problem is.. i wanted to put the old NB HeatSink to the SB but my graphic card is right above it... i mean it WILL fit (the card is a GeForce2 Pro) but will future cards fit?? cause i don't wanna glue the thing on just to find out that i can't plug my brand new 6800GT in...

Also will this fix anything oc wise?? oh i put some passive cooling on the MosFETs too...

THANX,

You might run into clearance with the new overweight 6800's or X800's, but I wouldn't sweat it as it would be a waste to run those cards on an NF2 system anyhow. As for whether or not extra chipset cooling helps? On your Northbridge it can make a significant difference, though on your Soutbridge it is more for vanity...
I'm using a Thermalright NB1-C on my chipset to help my reach some pretty high FSB speeds for a Rambus system for example. :)

depends zulu, the southbridge on the dfi nf2 boards gets burning hot and will throw out the audio/usb/lan.

you will be fine putting a normal heatsink on there, it's not until you put on a large heatsink (about 2" tall) that you will run into problems. for the northbridge a iceberq will work fine (basically same as abit northbridge cooler but copper).

Well the reason i'm askign abotu the southbridge is that you can't hold a finger on it for more that 2 sec. 'cause it's that hot... and the Nbridge is also that hot, but it has a small aluminum cooler...

I it ok to use ArcticSilver Adhesive on the NB & SB?
Also i used thelmal pads on the MosFETs, can i use ArcticSilver Adhesibe on them too??

yes, its ok to use adhesive, as long as your not planning to take it off, or killing the chip when you try to take it off :D
im srry... i use a nf3 chippy.. it doesnt even have a southbridge... i guess i shouldnt have interfered :p
sorry :)

If you're gonna go through the troubles of mounting new heatsinks on the NB and SB, go the extra step and lap the NB. It's no where near flat and the plastic casing is thick. Once you lap it, you'll get a few more Mhz.

Well i ran into some problems... i removed the 2 plastic holders on the NB, but the thing ain't comming off... now i tried to pull it but it wont budge... and if i rotate it it seems like if i rotate hard enough it will come off...

the question if can i remove the heatsink without ripping off teh NB from my mobo??

IS there any safe way to do that?? i mean can i just rotate the cooler for like 10minutes and it will loose the connection??

Thanx

You have to ways of removing the NB hs.
1) you can heat it up with a blow drier and pull it off.
2) you can turn a can of duster upside down and spray it for about 15secs to try to make the TIM cold and brittle, and then pull it off.
As for attaching the heatsink to the SB, I like to use pure AS Ceramique in the center of the chip, and a 1:1 AS Alumina and Cermique mixture on the 4 corners of the chip. That way, it's semi-permanant and can still be removed if needed.

consumer9000 said:
You might run into clearance with the new overweight 6800's or X800's, but I wouldn't sweat it as it would be a waste to run those cards on an NF2 system anyhow.

He said it right, dont worry about it because it would be a waste of money to put a hi end card in that system, any game you played would be cpu limited in no time.

OK... i was thinking of putting a 6600GT AGP in that system so will that work?? i mean no problems there?

Also i don't like to use thermal tape cause it would not use the cooler optimally, and if i used it on the edges only wouldn't the heatsink be too heavy to be hold down by a little bit of tape??

fldrice said:
You have to ways of removing the NB hs.
1) you can heat it up with a blow drier and pull it off.
2) you can turn a can of duster upside down and spray it for about 15secs to try to make the TIM cold and brittle, and then pull it off.
As for attaching the heatsink to the SB, I like to use pure AS Ceramique in the center of the chip, and a 1:1 AS Alumina and Cermique mixture on the 4 corners of the chip. That way, it's semi-permanant and can still be removed if needed.

OK, i'm thinking of using the 1 way, since i don't have any idea what a duster is ? :D

Also if i use the blow drier and heat it up, couldn't i just bench my system so that the NB heatsink heats up, and then try to remove it??

Won't too much heat from the blow drier kill teh parts arround the NB HS? or overheat the NB itself??

excuse me for asking so much, but i've never done this before, and i don't wanna kill the system... it's old but it still works :)

Lightning[983] said:
OK... i was thinking of putting a 6600GT AGP in that system so will that work?? i mean no problems there?

Also i don't like to use thermal tape cause it would not use the cooler optimally, and if i used it on the edges only wouldn't the heatsink be too heavy to be hold down by a little bit of tape??

OK, i'm thinking of using the 1 way, since i don't have any idea what a duster is ? :D

Also if i use the blow drier and heat it up, couldn't i just bench my system so that the NB heatsink heats up, and then try to remove it??

Won't too much heat from the blow drier kill teh parts arround the NB HS? or overheat the NB itself??

excuse me for asking so much, but i've never done this before, and i don't wanna kill the system... it's old but it still works :)

You could bench it, but I assumed you had already taken your mobo out of the case and remove the plastic push-pins. You won't kill anything if you direct most of the air torwards the HS and only heat it up until it's warm. Usually mobo manufacturers attach the NB HS on the NF2 based mobos with silicon thermal grease and push-pins. I find it surprising for you to have so much difficulty removing it.

Another way to remove the NB heatsink would be to put the MB back in its anti-static bag and put it in the freezer for 15 minutes or so. That will make the TIM brittle, then you should be able to pop the HS off fairly easily. Just make sure you twist the HS off, don't just yank it, or you can place a flathead screw driver between the chip and the HS and give it a little turn to pop it off.

Back