• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

I can't OC without crashing when I launch a game

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Ducklord3000

I'm sure these forums get enough threads about noobs needing basic OC help, but here's another one.

I have all the right hardware:
ASUS P4C800E MB
1 Gig (512x2) DDR PC3200
128 MB Radeon 9700 Pro
However, my CPU is a 2.8Ghz P4 with a FSB of 533Mhz, which isn't the best fit for my 800Mhz FSB MB.

I'm not sure what OC utility is the best out there, so I just use the provided AI Booster utility that came w/ my MB. I am able to OC it to 3.0 just fine, but when I go to launch UT2K4, my PC crashes.

Any help at all would be greatly appreciated!

Why don't you overclock in the BIOS?
You will probably have to raise your vcore to gain stability. Try going into the BIOS and raising the voltage to your CPU by a the smallest increment possible. Make sure you have proper cooling before doing this so your processor doesn't overheat.
What are your idle/load temperatures?

Paul1 said:
Why don't you overclock in the BIOS? You will probably have to raise your vcore. Try going into the BIOS and raising the voltage to your CPU by a the smallest increment possible. Make sure you have proper cooling before doing this so your processor doesn't overheat.
What are your idle/load temperatures?

From the BIOS, I actually have the vcore set to auto, and it's currently @ 1.55. My idle temp is around 33C and load is around 44C. Temp probably isn't the issue with my situation, and that's why I'm so lost right now. Thanks for the quick response.

You will probably have to set the vcore to improve stability unless your computer crashes from running just that one game. If it crashes just from running the game, then the problem might be something else.

A very general rule of thumb with overclocking intel;

Lock your PCI frequency (Also called "Fix") To the standard AGP/PCI speeds of 66/33 Respectively.

Bump your ram voltage to 2.7v

Bump the CPU up by no more than .5v

Try a 20mhz FSB increase.

If you get problems booting, try a ram divider of 4:3

Use "Memtest86+" (Write it to a bootable floppy) to check your memory's stability.

Use "Prime 95" in windows to check for overall stability.

~t0m

Back