• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Q9400 Asus Rampage x48 OC

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Wilhelm

Hi all, I'm looking to push this chip a bit further and unfortunately I'm still quite inexperienced with CPU OC and I could use some help!

Below are the system specs and current BIOS settings for the stable build I've achieved and tested successfully for a half week now.

BcwI4gh.png
oPnyb0B.png
vE8zenJ.png

Advanced CPU settings
CPU Ratio Setting: Auto
C1E Support: Disabled
CPU TM Function: Disabled
Vanderpool Technology: Disabled
Execute Disable Bit: Disabled
Max CPUID Value Limit: Disabled
Intel(R) SpeedStep: Disabled

System Performance Settings
Ai Overclock Tuner: Manual
OC From CPU Level Up: Auto
CPU Ratio Setting: Auto
FSB Strap to NB: Auto
FSB Frequency: 410
PCIE Frequency: 100

DRAM Frequency: Auto
DRAM Command Rate: Auto
DRAM CLK Skew on Channel A: Auto
DRAM CLK Skew on Channel B: Auto
Dram Timing Control: Auto
DRAM Static Read Control: Auto
Ai Clock Twister: Auto
Ai Transaction Booster: Auto

CPU Voltage: Auto
CPU PLL Voltage: Auto
North Bridge Voltage: 1.25V
DRAM Voltage: 2.10V
FSB Termination Voltage: Auto
South Bridge Voltage: Auto
SB 1.5V Voltage: Auto
Loadline Calibration: Auto
CPU GTL Voltage Reference: Auto
NB GTL Voltage Reference: Auto
DRAM Controller Voltage REF: Auto
DRAM Channel A Voltage REF: Auto
DRAM Channel B Voltage REF: Auto

CPU Spread Spectrum: Auto
PCIE Spread Spectrum: Auto
CPU Clock Skew: Auto
NB Clock Skew: Auto

===============================

I've tested various benchmarks and ran Prime long hours, CPU core temps barely reach 50C so we're cool. I've got a Hyper Evo 212 cooler with MX-4 grease so hopefully we can push this further!

There's a slight concern with the NB heating, it can easily reach 60C though I've been reading it's not uncommon for this board and that's not why I'm making this post anyway.

This is the limit for my FSB with these settings, if I go any higher there will be crashes. If I adjust CPU Voltage at all, I get crashes.

So I'm asking what adjustments could I now attempt to try and increase the clocks? Any additional tips for increased performance, memory settings, anything like that is much welcome, too. :)

Thanks for your time!

Well from reading the guides I've managed to drop DRAM Voltage to 1.9v and things seem to run ok. Cpu-z and hwmonitor show my Cpu voltage goes around 1.24 max when running P95. I then tried adjusting cpu voltage in single step increments above 1.24 but the system won't boot.

Edit:
I still can't get it to boot after trying to modify voltages. I've been attempting in the range of these settings:
Vcore: 1.2-1.31V
PLL: Auto
NB: 1.25-1.35V
SB: Auto
DRAM: 1.9-2.1V
FSB Termination: 1.3V

Any ideas?

Last edited:
Still unable to get stable for FSB 410+... any help?

If you get BSOD "STOP:0x00000124", when Prime95'ing, increase the FSB termination voltage and try again.

(At least if Windows reports a bus/interconnect error in the event log.)

But, I dunno about doing that by much more on a 45nm.

If you get BSOD "STOP:0x00000124", when Prime95'ing, increase the FSB termination voltage and try again.

(At least if Windows reports a bus/interconnect error in the event log.)

But, I dunno about doing that by much more on a 45nm.

Thanks for responding. Unfortunately it doesn't seem to be about FSB term. volts.

I can manually adjust PLL, NB, DRAM, FSB Term & SB volts and that won't stop me from booting to windows unless the volts are really off, but whenever I take CPU Voltage off auto I get problems and at best get to windows loading animation then crash/reboot.

Now why would there be an issue whenever I attempt to adjust vcore? Wouldn't it at least work even if the volt is too high?

I've managed 3.8ghz overclocks on C2D before on another Asus 775 board and that came easy. Kinda puzzled here about the variety of settings on this X48 board, even though I do constant reading on them--maybe I'm just missing something obvious here?

Incase it makes any difference to know, I've got 800mhz OCZ ram's(2x2GB), on the cover it says 5-5-5 timings 1.8V. Currently they're set for DRAM Freq 410MHZ FSB:DRAM 1:1 6-6-6-18 2.10V.

Thanks for responding. Unfortunately it doesn't seem to be about FSB term. volts.

I can manually adjust PLL, NB, DRAM, FSB Term & SB volts and that won't stop me from booting to windows unless the volts are really off, but whenever I take CPU Voltage off auto I get problems and at best get to windows loading animation then crash/reboot.

Now why would there be an issue whenever I attempt to adjust vcore? Wouldn't it at least work even if the volt is too high?

I've managed 3.8ghz overclocks on C2D before on another Asus 775 board and that came easy. Kinda puzzled here about the variety of settings on this X48 board, even though I do constant reading on them--maybe I'm just missing something obvious here?

Incase it makes any difference to know, I've got 800mhz OCZ ram's(2x2GB), on the cover it says 5-5-5 timings 1.8V. Currently they're set for DRAM Freq 410MHZ FSB:DRAM 1:1 6-6-6-18 2.10V.

Sounds like I would set the Vcore to manual and set it to 1.36 V and with CPU load line calibration enabled. But, I would start with 1.30 V.

Watch out for "Auto".
Auto Vcore mode can make the Vcore way too high and cause throttling under Linpack.

Gee wiz, shouldn't be having that many problems with Vcore on the Rampage Formula. I would think that's a solid board.

Even though there could be a bug, because it looks like it's not a "II" like my Maximus is.

The Maximus 775 is P45-based.

No CPU load line calibration? Then set the Vcore to 1.400 V in the BIOS and check with CPU-Z to see if it's at 1.36 V or a little less.

Last edited:
Sounds like I would set the Vcore to manual and set it to 1.36 V and with CPU load line calibration enabled. But, I would start with 1.30 V.

Watch out for "Auto".
Auto Vcore mode can make the Vcore way too high and cause throttling under Linpack.

Gee wiz, shouldn't be having that many problems with Vcore on the Rampage Formula. I would think that's a solid board.

Even though there could be a bug, because it looks like it's not a "II" like my Maximus is.

The Maximus 775 is P45-based.

No CPU load line calibration? Then set the Vcore to 1.400 V in the BIOS and check with CPU-Z to see if it's at 1.36 V or a little less.
Hey, thanks a lot for your response, you got me thinking maybe I was using vcore volts too low. At 1.3v there was still no boot with FSB 400, but 1.34V was a great success!

Atm I'm at FSB 460 x 8 = 3680 MHz, not totally stable yet, Prime gives some errors after running a while.
Vcore is set to 1.4v, NB 1.41v, PLL 1.5, Rams 2.10v, FSB Term 1.24v.
Core temps go Max 60C, SB ~45C, NB goes up to at least 65-70C with long stress(!). I'm afraid there's not much advancing from here unless I can either figure out how to not add more NB volts while increasing FSB or how to cool down NB temps.

Here are my fastest/best settings (so far) with a Rampage Extreme. Not a quad core (nor Rampage Formula and I was using single stage) but maybe it'll give some ideas of other stuff to try.

You might want to give setfsb a try, too. It was the only way I could get the fsb over 600.

Last edited:
I was able to set 530FSB on Q9400 some time ago ( not stable ):
http://valid.canardpc.com/2a886d
Later I found out that results on good air cooling were the same as on ss and I didn't have to push it at so high voltage ...

Generally NB+FSB voltages up , CPU voltage up and 1:1 memory ratio. How high you can reach depends from CPU itself. Most these quads don't like FSB above 500MHz.

Here are my fastest/best settings (so far) with a Rampage Extreme. Not a quad core (nor Rampage Formula and I was using single stage) but maybe it'll give some ideas of other stuff to try.

You might want to give setfsb a try, too. It was the only way I could get the fsb over 600.

Very nicely done. I'll check your work and see if it helps me here.

I was able to set 530FSB on Q9400 some time ago ( not stable ):
http://valid.canardpc.com/2a886d
Later I found out that results on good air cooling were the same as on ss and I didn't have to push it at so high voltage ...

Generally NB+FSB voltages up , CPU voltage up and 1:1 memory ratio. How high you can reach depends from CPU itself. Most these quads don't like FSB above 500MHz.

Wow well done. How was the temps? I'd be interested in rest of ur voltages too.

I ran P95 several hours, the cpu temps are very acceptable at 55-60C but NB can go as high as 72C and that's bothering me, it won't work with any less NB volts. I've read my mobo's NB sink could get lower temps if I apply new thermal pastes, might consider doing that or perhaps some NB fan solution.

Another thing I'm curious about are the CPU core temps, they vary a bit like this: C1 56C, C2 51C, C3 57C, C4 56C. Is it normal they give different readings even when all cores are 100% usage?

Those are normal temp variations. Are those load temps? If so...you've still got some nice headroom!

Definitely give setfsb a try. Regardless of where you're getting for fsb, setfsb will almost definitely get you higher. Find your stable best fsb (using bios only) then manually set the fsb (in bios) to roughly 50MHz lower than your stable best. Install setfsb, set it up and check it out...you should be able to go higher than your previous stable best.

Very nicely done. I'll check your work and see if it helps me here.

Wow well done. How was the temps? I'd be interested in rest of ur voltages too.

I ran P95 several hours, the cpu temps are very acceptable at 55-60C but NB can go as high as 72C and that's bothering me, it won't work with any less NB volts. I've read my mobo's NB sink could get lower temps if I apply new thermal pastes, might consider doing that or perhaps some NB fan solution.

Another thing I'm curious about are the CPU core temps, they vary a bit like this: C1 56C, C2 51C, C3 57C, C4 56C. Is it normal they give different readings even when all cores are 100% usage?

I had load temp variations like that on my Q6600 SLACR and it resulted in me cleaning the heatsink and reapplying the Antec Formula 7 TIM.
I suspected there not being proper TIM application! :mad:

I would get readings like: 60 60 50 51

I had load temp variations like that on my Q6600 SLACR and it resulted in me cleaning the heatsink and reapplying the Antec Formula 7 TIM.
I suspected there not being proper TIM application! :mad:

I would get readings like: 60 60 50 51
So did that do the trick or would the temps still vary?

Those are normal temp variations. Are those load temps? If so...you've still got some nice headroom!

Definitely give setfsb a try. Regardless of where you're getting for fsb, setfsb will almost definitely get you higher. Find your stable best fsb (using bios only) then manually set the fsb (in bios) to roughly 50MHz lower than your stable best. Install setfsb, set it up and check it out...you should be able to go higher than your previous stable best.
Thanks for the tip, I'll try this today. Yes these are temps in load during stress test, I'd definitely go towards 4 ghz if it wasn't for the high NB load temps.

I have a Xeon x3360 @ 471x8.5 running on that board. Some settings off the top of my head:

Vcore: 1.33v
PLL: 1.65
NB: 1.55
SB: 1.55
DRAM: 2.15 (567mhz 5-5-5-15)
FSB Termination: 1.4V

Loadline Calibration: full
CPU GTL Voltage Reference: .067
NB GTL Voltage Reference: .067

I have a Xeon x3360 @ 471x8.5 running on that board. Some settings off the top of my head:

Vcore: 1.33v
PLL: 1.65
NB: 1.55
SB: 1.55
DRAM: 2.15 (567mhz 5-5-5-15)
FSB Termination: 1.4V

Loadline Calibration: full
CPU GTL Voltage Reference: .067
NB GTL Voltage Reference: .067

Interesting. Thanks for sharing. That's a rather high PLL/FSBT compared to mine.

Atm I'm trying to study this CPU/NB GTL, still don't understand it much. Perhaps having auto/default values is why my PC crashed last night playing Wolfenstein New Order? Or maybe I'm not giving enough volts to something. Temps were "ok" and no crashes thus far on P95, just on this game after running it for an hour+.

How fast do you want to go ? The Evo is a nice cooler, but will run out of talent relativly quickly

you are going to have to back off the perf setting to like 12 for a quad.

This setting is called AI Transaction Booster on that particular board

This is pretty agressive so please watch your heat close, especially on the NB, some active cooling would be recomended

CPU Ratio = 8
FSB Frequency = 500
FSB Strap = 333
DRAM Frequency = 1002
DRAM Timing = 5-5-5-15
DRAM Static Read Control = Disabled
DRAM Read Training = Disabled
Momory OC Charger = Disabled
AI Clock Twister = Lighter
AI Transaction Booster = Manual-Perf 12
CPU Voltage = 1.31
CPU GTL = .65x
CPU PLL = 1.58
FSB Termination = 1.28
DRAM Voltage = 2.1
NB Voltage = 1.32
SB Voltage = 1.20
LLC = Enabled
CPU Margin Enhancement = Optimized
C1E = Disabled

Last edited:
Interesting. Thanks for sharing. That's a rather high PLL/FSBT compared to mine.

Atm I'm trying to study this CPU/NB GTL, still don't understand it much. Perhaps having auto/default values is why my PC crashed last night playing Wolfenstein New Order? Or maybe I'm not giving enough volts to something. Temps were "ok" and no crashes thus far on P95, just on this game after running it for an hour+.

I agree, in windows it shows 1.32v or so, it droops quite a bit.

How fast do you want to go ? The Evo is a nice cooler, but will run out of talent relativly quickly

you are going to have to back off the perf setting to like 12 for a quad.

This setting is called AI Transaction Booster on that particular board

This is pretty agressive so please watch your heat close, especially on the NB, some active cooling would be recomended

CPU Ratio = 8
FSB Frequency = 500
FSB Strap = 333
DRAM Frequency = 1002
DRAM Timing = 5-5-5-15
DRAM Static Read Control = Disabled
DRAM Read Training = Disabled
Momory OC Charger = Disabled
AI Clock Twister = Lighter
AI Transaction Booster = Manual-Perf 12
CPU Voltage = 1.31
CPU GTL = .65x
CPU PLL = 1.58
FSB Termination = 1.28
DRAM Voltage = 2.1
NB Voltage = 1.32
SB Voltage = 1.20
LLC = Enabled
CPU Margin Enhancement = Optimized
C1E = Disabled

He could run his perf. setting a lot lower then 12. If he chooses to play with those settings, such as DRSC, Clock Twister, and Transaction Booster. It may take some time to find a happy medium, for them to work depends a lot on the ram I think. Some ram is ok with tight settings with a quad, but it depends on his settings. I personally find a lot of the voltages you listed to be too low for the rampage, its old x48. Chances are he wont make it to 500fsb with that cpu. I have had my board a touch past 600fsb using an e8600, but ram was the limit, and it just doesn't like quads as much. Really wish I had a ddr3 one.

Every CPU is different, memory will be the limiting factor barring a total crap CPU, these setting should get him close on that board

Run the perf at 12 for a quad, once you get it going you can plat arouind as Freeagent sugests

fist you want to get it going

Back