• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

cx-550b vs. fortron bluestorm

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

FarzBar

Registered
Was wondering if anybody could be kind enough to tell me the disadvantages of the coolmax cx-550b over the fortron bluestorm?? (the 2 psu's I'm considering to purchase). Plus, anybody know which one is quieter? (trying to go for the holy grail of performance and silence !!!-as much as I can at least)

coolmax cx-550b

http://www.mwave.com/mwave/viewspec.hmx?scriteria=BA21111

Bluestorm:

http://www.newegg.com/app/viewProductDesc.asp?description=17-104-934&DEPA=0

system plan on building:

nf7-s w/xp-m 2600+ (plan on ocing)
ocz 3200 vx w/ddr booster?? (undecided on memory still)
WD 120g 8mb cache
9800pro w/ati silencor(might oc)
dvd-rw
nb-1c
Digital Doc 5
3- 120mm fans (one of them on the slk-900a) at least (more if I see I need it)

(this will be my first oc(supernoob here :D ), so if something looks wrong,first of all sorry, second wouldn't mind advice :) )

Hope to upgrade to in future:

a64 sli w/2 ultra's and maybe 2 raptors

Thanks in Advance

Last edited:
bluestorm has dual +12 rails. looks like cx-550b has 35a on a single +12 rail, that's at 65% efficiency... you do the math. fortron would probably last longer since it has 24 pin atx option.
anywho, why nf7-s w/xp-m 2600+? i know that's what i am typing on :p but you could get dfi lp 250 and semtron 2600+ for the same $. should be a bit faster.

Both will power that system, but the Fortron has a build quality edge. It'll be more reliable long term, and possibly more stable and powerful as well. Not sure which is quieter I'm afraid.

Thanks for your help mcoleg and Oklahoma wolf.

dfi w/sempron?? guess I got more researching to do.....

sorry, did you mean ultra b?? the 250 is 754 and sempron's are socket a.

this one:

http://www.newegg.com/app/ViewProductDesc.asp?description=19-104-226&depa=0

90mm, overclocks between 2.2 to 2.5, depending on how much voltage you are willing to toss at it.

you won't need booster with lp250, btw, it should provide enough vdimm by itself. tccd-based ram works pretty well on nf3 but i'd ask around, maybe there are better options.

this is the board:

http://www.newegg.com/app/viewProductDesc.asp?description=13-136-147&depa=0

here's a review of the combo:

http://www.xbitlabs.com/articles/cpu/display/sempron-2600_7.html

i read some other one just today... can't remember where.

anywho, there are pros and cons to this arangement but you can't beat the price to speed ratio, if that's a consideration.

wow :clap: . interesting. I think I might actually do that. But of course that means more money upfront, but less to upgrade later. But that also means I have to turn around and sell this brand new slk-900a I just bought :rolleyes: . Oh well. Much appreciated mcoleg. gonna look more into it.

well, there is the problem of only 512mb memory unless I get a 1gb stick. But then don't know how well it would oc. Starting not to like this idea.

The only concern of tha blue storm is that it does not have a -5v postitive. Not alot of devices need this rail but some parts do. The fortron 550 doesnt have this issue

well, just something to think about, really. of course, to make it totaly future-proof, one has to go with pci-e but that's a much larger investment, the way i see it.

FarzBar, what do you mean by "512mb memory"? surely it can take more than that?

Sen, good point about -5v rail. i forgoten about that one. it shouldn't affect anything on a modern board but i don't know much about it really; we could always ask Wolf though.

Thanks Sen :)

I did a search in google but couldn't find any articles on what parts need the -5v. Hmm.....

mcoleg:

yeah much larger investment and since this is my first oc, I'm gonna stick with the nf7-s (plus it has more stickies than even the dfi ultra b so easier to find info) so I can learn ocing. I'll do something more adventerous next time. maybe by then I'll put in my sig "where no man has gone before" :D . I meant 512mb because the article said only 1 stick could used for good oc and they were using a 512mb stick. since i would be also using my comp for gaming like hl2, I would need a 1gb stick.

FarzBar said:
Thanks Sen :)

I did a search in google but couldn't find any articles on what parts need the -5v. Hmm.....

The -5v has been dropped from the ATX specification since 2.0 - nothing has needed it since the days of ISA IIRC.

Except OCZ's DDR Booster, which uses it for the display. It should be redesigned... I have my doubts Intel is going to add the -5v again just to accomodate one peripheral ;)

mcoleg said:
Sen, good point about -5v rail. i forgoten about that one. it shouldn't affect anything on a modern board but i don't know much about it really; we could always ask Wolf though.

yeah, hopefully Sen or Wolf can help :). Not sure where to find that info.

Sen: the 550 has a smaller 12v, will this be a problem for future?(I'm a noob :), just want to double check and plus learn :) ) Plus smaller fan=probably louder?

on the sempron:

I guess I could use this:

http://www.newegg.com/app/viewProductDesc.asp?description=20-145-560&catalog=23&manufactory=BROWSE

Not sure what kind of oc that would give me though. might allow for a better future if it does oc well. that way I would have only 2 sticks for 2gb instead of 4 (when requirements go up again needing 2gb).

Crash: Thx :). Why the fortron??

Again, i just want to make sure I thank everyone for their inputs :).

FarzBar said:
Sen: the 550 has a smaller 12v, will this be a problem for future?(I'm a noob :), just want to double check and plus learn :) ) Plus smaller fan=probably louder?
Yea the fan is gonna be louder. As for the 12v it is rated alot lower than it actually is. The fortron 550 is a solid PSU. However I'd either get a Bluestorm or a PSU by Zippy

If you're thinking about the Fortron 550w units, there's 2 versions: single 36A@12v (FSP550-60PLG) and dual 18A@12v (FSP550-60PLN). I'd suggest the single rail unit if SLI will be a big deal to you at any time in the future. There is a custom 600w unit by SilenX based on these as well (single 36A 12v) - that one is meant for silence with a single 80mm quiet fan, but their claims of 14 decibels is a little optimistic and the price is insane. It's the highest watt Fortron unit one can get though - IIRC it has more 5v and 3.3v than the two Fortron 550w models.

Be warned about Zippy - these are some of the best built PSU's in the world, but they're not silence oriented. About all the ones I've seen had a single plain Jane 80mm fan. In the case of the 700w monster, anything needing full power will probably spin that fan up to earsplitting levels ;)

FarzBar, if you go with nf7, you should rethink that 2gb ram aproach. first of, it has 3 ram slots. secondly, it's dual channel, anything above 2x256 and it's an upheel battle. lastly, if you want tccd, forget corsair, you want osz or pqy. Sen, plz tell him about brainpower pcb would you.

Oh, I wasn't thinking of that for the nf7. Just wondering for the dfi 250. Its really hard to find a good 1gb stick. Not really considering it.I'm planning on getting dual 512mb for nf7. As far as tccd, havn't made up my mind on that yet. It's driving me nuts trying to decide between tccd or utt/winbond. Not sure which route to go. Thx mcoleg for your concern.

As far as Power supplies. I was thinking......

I currently own a raidmax 420w and its stats on side say:

+3.3v- 26a
+5v- 32a
+12v- 13a
-5v- .8a
-12v-.8a
+5svb- 2.0a

its a little loud but I guess I can replace the fan and remove the grill.

would this be fine in powering that system oced for now? if so, that would save me money and then I can buy a good powerful power supply when I upgrade to the a64 and i"m sure by then there will be more psu's to choose from.

FarzBar said:
would this be fine in powering that system oced for now? if so, that would save me money and then I can buy a good powerful power supply when I upgrade to the a64 and i"m sure by then there will be more psu's to choose from.

I very much doubt it... Leadman made Raidmax units are worse than average. Unless you happen to have one of the newer OEM Topower units, and even then the 12v rating is too low for comfort.

Back