• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

cx-550b vs. fortron bluestorm

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
So, it looks like the Fortron BlueStorm or the OCZ Powerstream. About $50 difference. Both good PSU's... so for Solitaire... get the Fortron, is that what you're saying? :)

Where do hang out to learn OCing my new sweet ****znit?

Ciao

frankieb said:
So, it looks like the Fortron BlueStorm or the OCZ Powerstream. About $50 difference. Both good PSU's... so for Solitaire... get the Fortron, is that what you're saying? :)

Where do hang out to learn OCing my new sweet ****znit?

Ciao

Wolf pointed out that the 500w fortron might not handle 2 6800's. I might want to look at the 550w fortron instead :).

Just read all the stickies on cpu and motherboard and memory pages :). i believe the mb page will have the most info to get started ocing. Don't take my word. I still havn't oced, trying to figure out what to get to do my first oc :).

Alright. I've decided to live dangerously. I'm gonna go with that coolmax (only $53 at mwave). Was wondering before I do, if you can help me with something. heres the link again.

http://www.mwave.com/mwave/viewspec.hmx?scriteria=BA21111

Can you tell me what its missing? is it 2.0? btx ready(<--2.0??) ? or whatever else it lacks. thx :).

its gonna be for that system speed bump suggested.

and I'll report back about its performance once I get my setup going. I just need to learn how,haha.

It's neither BTX nor ATX 2.0 compliant, but comes with an adaptor for 24 pin boards apparently. It should have the power to run SLI, but does not have the PCI-E connectors for the 6800's and will need adaptors. Ripple specs at Coolmax's site don't correspond with ATNG's website. Also, they don't specify whether it has active or passive PFC (won't matter too much if you're in North America).

OEM website: http://www.atngpower.com.tw/

I'm not too worried about adapters unless it makes a performance difference. but how is not being complient with 2.0 or btx gonna affect me? psu won't fit or won't give enough juice to future boards?? and what does the ripple affect? sorry for asking so many questions.

I'm about to just go ocz then.

Questions are allowed here ;)

Not being 2.0 won't affect you too much... you won't have dual 12v rails and should still have a -5v. That's about it.

I just mentioned ripple since there's a discrepancy between Coolmax and ATNG... the values given by ATNG are half of Coolmax's (that's a good thing unless ATNG was rating too tight for their own good). The lower the ripple number, the better it's supposed to regulate and suppress high frequency noise at the outputs. The numbers are a general guideline - many PSU's will perform better or worse depending how good the design and component quality is.

Ok cool :). So not a big deal (assuming that the ripple not too bad). I can go ahead and this and ends up not being good performer, upgrade to something better. I appreciate it alot wolf and your patience with me :).

Oh, yeaaaah...
I must have mistyped something somewhere. I'm only running one AMD 64 6800+.
I'll keep reading up but have gotten a bit confused on who is speaking to whom on which topic.
Thanks and... I think I'm going to like this Forum.

frankieb said:
Oh, yeaaaah...
I'll keep reading up but have gotten a bit confused on who is speaking to whom on which topic.

Oh, I apologize. I believe the 500w blue storm fortron should be able to handle that system with 1 6800. Wolf, can you help frankieb?? thx :).

frankieb said:
Oh, yeaaaah...

frankieb, you'll get help easier by posting your own thread asking about what you need to know.(as this thread is slightly confusing for me as well.) Plus it's the best way, so you don't hijack anyones thread, as some people get rather angry when that happens. FarzBar however handled it well.(I like your attitude FarzBar, it is greatly appreciated.)

frankieb said:
My system... Asus A8N-SLI Deluxe, Athlon 64 3800+, Corsair VS512MB400 x2, nVIDIA Geforce 6600GT and a 74GB Raptor.

My suggestion would be the Fortron AX500-A. Not too wild about the modular units on the market, but the OCZ Modstreams and the Superflower modular unit with 140mm fan should do.

schismspeak said:
frankieb, you'll get help easier by posting your own thread asking about what you need to know.(as this thread is slightly confusing for me as well.) Plus it's the best way, so you don't hijack anyones thread, as some people get rather angry when that happens. FarzBar however handled it well.(I like your attitude FarzBar, it is greatly appreciated.)

thx schismspeak for the compliment :).I don't mind. I consider this one big happy family. Everyone's already been both friendly and very helpful to me. I wish I could repay it. Maybe when I learn more and gain more xp, I can start being more productive instead of a leecher. I would love to help frankieb, but would rather have someone more knowledgeable help him (thx wolf :) ).

Back