• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

My fortron fsp400-60pnu died...now i need a replacement

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

homer77

well, i believe my fortron fsp400 is dying. here's what happening:

i have a radeon 9800pro which requires a molex to power the card up. sometimes during boot up, the computer will display error message stating the power isn't connected to the card, which i know it is. and i know it's not the video card's problem, because it does the samething when i switched to my radeon 9800. also there's discoloration covered in this thread plus random reboots when i play World of Warcraft.

anywayz, now i m looking for another psu to power this setup:
p4 3.2e (plan to oc to 4ghz or at least close to it)
asus p4p800e-dlx (droop and vdimm modded)
9800xt
160gb hd
16x dvd-rom
swiftech mcp650 water pump
3 x 120mm fans
1 x 92mm fan
2 x 80mm fans

i have narrowed down to these choices:

Fortron 530W Power Supply

Fortron Blue Storm 500W

Sparkle Power 550W

OCZ PowerStream 520W

i know this sort of topics have been covered million times, but i just want to know which psu is most suited for my setup and also would give me the most overclockability and stability.

i m leaning towards the fortron blue storm cuz it gives me more bang for the buck impression, but i would like to hear others opinions.

thanks

I'd go with the Blue Storm as well, on the basis of the 120mm fan and dual +12v rails.

However none of the above would have any problems powering a system like the one you've got in mind, a 400 though, wouldn't really cut it.

looks like i'll go with the fortron blue storm 500w.

now another ps questions. :)
i was able to get a rma from newegg on my fortron 400w. now, how would mad dog surepower 500w compare to the fortron 400w? i picked up the mad dog during a bargain.

i plan to use either one to power my 2nd rig. spec below:
amd xpm 2600
abit nf7-s
radeon 9800pro
wd 80gb
nec dvd-rw
2 x 120mm fans
1 x 92mm tornado
3 x 80m fans

thanks again!

Raybo said:
For all the info they give...............there is no REAL rating on this PSU. :confused:

Agree .... while they do provide output amperage specs for that Mad Dog unit
under "more info", those don't tell us much without other pertinent information.

Personally, I'd stick with the Fortrons instead. No shortage of positive opinions
on those units.

Back