• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

backing plate removel on A8V Deluxe

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

mxa

(I hope this is the right place for this post)

I've got a Zalman CNPS7000A-Cu which requires that I remove the original backing plate on the A8V motherboard and replace it with the Zalman provided backing plate. I removed the two screws that hold the black retention bracket that surrounds the CPU socket, however the backing plate is still stuck on. To me it looks like it's glued on but I can't really tell. I was just wondering if anyone can provide some advice or suggestions on how to remove it? Maybe it just requires some force but I want to hear from someone before I start trying to rip it off.

Hello,

After reading many posts on the subject, I decided finally to install my Zalman CNPS 7000B AlCu.

I've got some information from Zalman support and a guy told me that he has installed the heatsink (with pictures) with the stock backplate *and* the plastic retention bracket left in place.

So I had a try with this configuration.

It doesnt work for me because the screws are fitted in a hole in the retention bracket which is much higher than the nipples (spacers) shipped with the fan. Mounting the fan this way left it loose and moving easily.

So I left the stock backplate in place but I removed the plastic bracket.

I have put the nipples upside down on the PCB just under the heatsink metallic retention clip.

I titghtened the screws until they just touch the nipples and I removed the nipples.

Then I tightened the screws one turn more.

It works this way but the fan is not maintained very well as the screws are left free.

I have ordered to a friend a couple of metallic pieces to replace the stock nipples and match the stock backplate: a hole drilled in the back face will allow the parts of the backplate screws that are over the pcb level to be inserted in these pieces.

With the previous mounting and Artic Silver 5, I reverted to non-overclocked in a first time.
I have connected the fan to the motherboard fan socket via the fan mate set to the lower speed (about 1400 rpm).
I had to set the cpu fan to Disabled in the BIOS hardware to avoid the "cpu fan failed" message/voice and have to press F1 to continue.

The results are (non overcolcked and AS5 new, I expect better result after some AS5 maturation) with cool and quiet enabled :

Zalman CNPS 7000B:
idle (some office, internet surf working): 30C
burn test (burnMMX from linux): 49C after one hour.
MB temperature is 25C

Stock heatsink:
idle: 30C @ 1000rpm
burn: 47C @ 3000rpm
MB is 27C
(fancontrol enabled)

Regards

Jean-Luc

Back