• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Anyone know anything about Maxtor Hard drives

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Soundmaster2.0

My first Mator was a 20 gig and it was having trouble with randomly just erasing data. But I got a new Maxtor 160 gig that works fine but i can't seem to get windows to install on it. It only shows up as 127 gigs because I need some kind of PCI card. I don't know how much these cards cost but im guessing I'll have to get one soon.

Soundmaster2.0 said:
My first Mator was a 20 gig and it was having trouble with randomly just erasing data. But I got a new Maxtor 160 gig that works fine but i can't seem to get windows to install on it. It only shows up as 127 gigs because I need some kind of PCI card. I don't know how much these cards cost but im guessing I'll have to get one soon.
Sounds strange to me...
All I know is my brother and I bought 2 30 gig maxtors. He RMA'd his once, and I have twice. They're peices of crap. I too have a 160 sata maxtor, but only bought it cause it was dirt cheap, and I don't care too much about the data on it.

What mobo? Ide or sata? need more specifics...

First off, what motherboard do you have? That'll help us the most.

Secondly, take a look at this thread. That should help you address the 127 GB problem.

man i dig my maxtor drives. got 2 120g drives, the ones that have the fluid bearings and 8meg cache, and they are nice. no probs whatsoever and damn near silent to boot! i dunno why all these other peeps have probs, but imho they are good drives, especially for the money.

i think the new ones are pretty nice, like JIzzler said. can't speak from experience, though... seagate is my bag

u may simple need to flash the bios on your moterhboard to recognize it if the motherboard is not too old.

Heck i got an old p4 1.4 Asus mobo that can see my 200g drives.

Yeah, I dont think theres anything wrong with the Maxtor. I had one and it ran perfectly.

I've had my 200gig maxtor for about 6 months now. It runs perfectly well, and from the SMART detector from speed fan it says its at 100%. I have a 120gig seagate for about 1.5 years and the SMART detector on speed fan says its at 43 %. Btw i know that the SMART reader on speed fan isn't the best(at least thats what i rememeber reading somewhere).

Another interesting point is that my maxtor runs 2 degrees colder then my seagate, i belive the temps are at 28 and 30 degrees respectively.

The_Jizzler said:
man i dig my maxtor drives. got 2 120g drives, the ones that have the fluid bearings and 8meg cache, and they are nice. no probs whatsoever and damn near silent to boot! i dunno why all these other peeps have probs, but imho they are good drives, especially for the money.

I agree I have had four or five Maxtors and not one has ever had any problems.

my maxtors are fine i love them lovely and fast and quiet too not that matters to me

does it install windows but shows up as 127gig in windows explorer ? if thats the case and your using windows xp install SP1 or above

EDIT: ok :) must of replyed while i was thinking what to say lol

Back