• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

RAM timings

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

inkfx

This has probably been asked to many times but here it goes. How do I know what is safe for my RAM? Would I just have to pick different timings and see which work and dont work? Also would I have to up the volts or anything when I am doing this? What kind of performance gain would I see by changing my timings? See my sig for RAM.

http://img228.exs.cx/img228/4447/ram4mq.jpg

Screenshot of current RAM timings. Thanks for any help.

You are in no danger of hurting ram if you make the timings too tight. What you do need to be careful of is generating a lot of errors and corrupting windows. (Then you'd have to reformat and reinstall which is a PITA) I suggest that you download memtest86 and make a boot disc from it that you can use to test your timings before even booting into windows. That way if the settings are unstable you can just reboot and change them without causing any problems in windows. Good luck.

That ram is capable of 2.5-2-2-8 timings, rather than 2.5-3-2-8....you can change it if you wish, but we arent talking a HUGE performance gain or anything. It does, however, clock much higher than 200mhz. You can safely run that ram at about 230mhz. This will probably require about 2.9 volts or so. Rest assured, OCZ is the best company to deal with when it comes to warranty, and you don't have to worry about being out a stick of ram. 2.9v should be juts fine.

-Collin-

Actually Ninja I was reading the OCZ site and it said this RAM can run at PC4000 speeds.

Also what are the 1T and 2T settings in the bios? I think mine is set at 2T should I change it to 1T?

One more thing, would I have to better cool my RAM if I up the volts? Or are these heatspreaders fine?

Last edited:
You should set it at 1t. You lose consierable bandwidth at 2t. Yes, it's good to have some active cooling if you are overvolting and overclocking ram. I use an old stock xp cooling fan and it blows acrtoss the ram and helps keep it cool.
(Beat ya to it Ninja:))

Of course. The only reason to EVER use 2t is if you need to get the most our of your ram (overclock). It seriously decreases performance if you run it at 2t.

-Collin-

Can you not just click on the image to make it bigger?

RAM Bandwidth Int. : 3010MB/s
RAM Bandwidth Float. : 3011MB/s

Where else can I upload it? I tried attaching it here but it says the picture is to big, it can only be 640x480. How do I make it so the picture is in my post, with no links.

ram29ml.jpg

Inkfx, I bet you didn't know you were getting help from the village idiot. Well, I made you go through all that with your screen shot only to realize I wasn't clicking in the right spot. Your scores look on the low side. I tried to run the test with my system at your settings, but for some reason it wouldn't run. Rather than trying to tighten the timings, which at the speeds you are running they would probably work with tighter timings, why not up your fsb?
I apologize for my stupidity.

Well right now I dont have the cooling to OC any. =\ Its really hot in my room so my comp runs hot aswell. And whenever I change the multi it says there is an error in windows and I need to reformat.

Oh no, you can only change the multi to a lower number. They are locked for the higher multipliers. I meant incresing the FSB, but if it's hot in the room and you have stock cooling you are quite right to be cautious. There is an Athlon 64 tweaker program that you can use to tweak timings in windows. If it doesn't work ay the new timings, if it freezes, you just reboot. The other way to tweak timings , which I use is with the Memtest86 boot disc. I'm not big on reinstalling Wibdows, so it lets me safely play with my timings.

That's a new one on me. When you change it back windows won't boot? Did you try safe mode or last working configuration?
When you get the cooling situation under control you might want to try raising the FSB and not touching the multiplier.

It wont even let me get to the windows boot screen. Right after the bios loads it says that Windows is corrupt or something, gives some kind of error. Then says I should insert the Windows disk and reformat. So I guess im stuck on x12.

Back